• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Tier Bump Question

D_troit

Bogey Member
I registered (prepaid) for a B-tier in AM3. Previously, I played 1 PDGA tournament ever and was given a 906 rating for it (it was a C-tier, in AM3, I took 4th place of 11). When the B-tier I previously mentioned was finalized, I noticed I'm now bumped up into AM2.

My friends (who are at my level of casual competition) are playing AM3. I'm still going to play the tournament in AM2, but is this normal? If/When my rating gets lowered, can I go back to AM3? I'm just starting to understand tournament rules & regulations and thought I was the definition of an AM3 player.. I play leagues only a handful of times a year, mostly play casual w/ friends, & just got my # and decided to try tournaments this year.. I totally agree that playing w/ better players makes you better, but on the other hand, I'm not trying to be uncomfortable while getting a "feel" for tournament settings.

Thanks!

I registered (prepaid) for a B-tier in AM3. Previously, I played 1 PDGA tournament ever and was given a 906 rating for it (it was a C-tier, in AM3, I took 4th place of 11). When the B-tier I previously mentioned was finalized, I noticed I'm now bumped up into AM2.

My friends (who are at my level of casual competition) are playing AM3. I'm still going to play the tournament in AM2, but is this normal? If/When my rating gets lowered, can I go back to AM3? I'm just starting to understand tournament rules & regulations and thought I was the definition of an AM3 player.. I play leagues only a handful of times a year, mostly play casual w/ friends, & just got my # and decided to try tournaments this year.. I totally agree that playing w/ better players makes you better, but on the other hand, I'm not trying to be uncomfortable while getting a "feel" for tournament settings.

Thanks!

906 rated players are not allowed to play AM3. If your rating drops, you can go back to AM3.

There really isn't a "definition of an AM3 player" other than a player with a rating below 900 but above 850. Experience really isn't a determining factor at all.

Yes it is normal since your rating is over 900. even if you haven't played in a tournament in a couple years when you renew your membership it will have the same rating until you play an event and get your new rating. If your rating drops back below 900 you are allowed to rejoin the AM3 with your buddies.

What they said. You will likely have a better and more positive experience by getting into the rules. Especially if you continue to play and move up. There can be some who will know the rules and can be pretty insistent that they are followed. There are quite a few rules, but they mimic ball golf in concept and are fairly intuitive. When we started playing competitively, my friends and I brushed up on the rules and started playing an occasional casual round calling each other, it help us learn. I don't want to sound like there are a bunch of uptight players, because most are casual and great. But, the whole tournament goes smoother with everyone on the same page. Good luck in am2. If you are playing No Foolin', maybe I will see you out there.

What they said. You will likely have a better and more positive experience by getting into the rules. Especially if you continue to play and move up. There can be some who will know the rules and can be pretty insistent that they are followed. There are quite a few rules, but they mimic ball golf in concept and are fairly intuitive. When we started playing competitively, my friends and I brushed up on the rules and started playing an occasional casual round calling each other, it help us learn. I don't want to sound like there are a bunch of uptight players, because most are casual and great. But, the whole tournament goes smoother with everyone on the same page. Good luck in am2. If you are playing No Foolin', maybe I will see you out there.

Yes sir! ..I was just a little surprised when my buddy text today that I was playing intermediate. I've been reading the book lately and reading on this site. I suppose the best way to learn is to get out there.
Maybe I'll see ya there dude.?.