• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed rule changes for 2024

This has been mentioned before...but...for those who don't like the idea of everyone in the group having to keep score; blame it on the players who refuse to do their part and keep score. If all players kept score evenly this rule would never have been needed. However, there are players who absolutely refuse to keep score and are not one bit ashamed to tell you they won't keep score.

I've been with a group that had a delayed start time until I gave them all a 'courtesy warning'...(no one was going to second a rules violation). I volunteered to keep score, but not a single other player in the group would keep score...they argued about it so much I thought a fight was going to break out....the only thing that resolved it (although there was tension during the round), was me threatening to call the TD.

So the rule requiring everyone to keep score would have never come about if players just did their part without trying to weasel out of it.
Why is it that every disc golf related problem that never occurs around here seems to occur regularly in AZ?

I will continue to blame the people making the policy for killing an ant with a shotgun.

I will continue to blame the people making the policy for killing an ant with a shotgun.
I'm going to use that one!

I'd prefer not to keep score, and I don't really like score updates while playing, but then again I have the mental fortitude of a goldfish usually so...

This has been mentioned before...but...for those who don't like the idea of everyone in the group having to keep score; blame it on the players who refuse to do their part and keep score. If all players kept score evenly this rule would never have been needed. However, there are players who absolutely refuse to keep score and are not one bit ashamed to tell you they won't keep score.

I've been with a group that had a delayed start time until I gave them all a 'courtesy warning'...(no one was going to second a rules violation). I volunteered to keep score, but not a single other player in the group would keep score...they argued about it so much I thought a fight was going to break out....the only thing that resolved it (although there was tension during the round), was me threatening to call the TD.

So the rule requiring everyone to keep score would have never come about if players just did their part without trying to weasel out of it.
Sounds about like an experience I had deciding who would play goalie in gym class floor hockey. We were like 13 or 14 though.

Can't imagine having to deal with "adults" acting like that.

Sounds about like an experience I had deciding who would play goalie in gym class floor hockey. We were like 13 or 14 though.

Yeah, it is really sad.....but it happens every single round. I can't recall a single round where I played league (sanctioned or non-sanctioned), a tournament (sanctioned or non-sanctioned), or even casual play...where at least one person in the group absolutely refused to keep score.

My rule of thumb is that 30% of people never mature into adults.

The last tournament I played, two of our foursome refused to keep score. They then had the gall to complain that I wasn't doing it right because I was entering the scores between the basket and next teepad rather than waiting to arrive at the next teepad. My glare told them what I thought of them both. If you want something done right do it yourself. If I have to do it for you then stfu.

I played a two round tournament on Saturday, and kept score both times. Figured I'm gonna have to next year anyway, so why not just do it...

Morning round was easy to find a second scorekeeper. Afternoon round was like pulling teeth. Finally a guy downloaded the app and we got going. Glad we brought it up before the two minute warning!

It might be a good idea for TDs/Disc Golf Scene to add a check box on the registration form for PDGA sanctioned events where players "Agree to keep score every round online or on paper".
I would use different verbiage- that makes it seem like they have an option. "All players will be required to keep score throughout the event per PDGA policy"

I would use different verbiage- that makes it seem like they have an option. "All players will be required to keep score throughout the event per PDGA policy"
Wording like that will be in the tour standards. What I'm proposing is similar to signing a waiver by checking a box when you register showing that you have read and specifically agreed to keep score.

It might be a good idea for TDs/Disc Golf Scene to add a check box on the registration form for PDGA sanctioned events where players "Agree to keep score every round online or on paper".

Not sure most PDGA members actually read those check boxes. Especially after checking the same box for the past 3 years for Covid. Honestly I just check them at this point.

My understanding of the above comes from an experience....there was this player who listed as an AM (pays less in PDGA membership dues) but played as Pro. He couldn't take cash and keep playing as an AM, so he would ask for merchandise instead and then turn around and sell it for cash. So he effectively ended up cashing out for whatever place he got. So he was able to circumvent the 'rules' and stay AM which allowed him to play in NADGT tournaments and even try to get to the Amateur Nationals; all the while still making money for whatever place he ended up in.
Nothing prevents an Am player from doing that NOW in Am divisions, so what's the difference?

Nothing prevents an Am player from doing that NOW in Am divisions, so what's the difference?
Maybe I didn't follow it correctly going back through Bill's response to the quoted section Skamanda's post...

Today, ams that play on open division can opt for merch instead of cash. As you point out, nothing stops them from selling that merch, which indirectly allows them to play for cash, while still retaining their amatuer status.

Skamanda's post says that inder the new rule, Ams that play as pros, but refuse the cash payout, wouldn't be permitted yo get merch in place of cash. Their cash would be passed down to someone else.

If enacted, this would prevent Ams effectively playing for cash while retaining Am status.

The distinction between Pro and Am is playing for cash. I may be short-sighted but , eliminating the ability to circumvent that seems like a good thing in that if you want to retain your Am status, you can't loophole around it to effectively play for cash.

That said, as with many things, there may be unintended consequences with such a rule.

Maybe I didn't follow it correctly going back through Bill's response to the quoted section Skamanda's post...

Today, ams that play on open division can opt for merch instead of cash. As you point out, nothing stops them from selling that merch, which indirectly allows them to play for cash, while still retaining their amatuer status.

Skamanda's post says that inder the new rule, Ams that play as pros, but refuse the cash payout, wouldn't be permitted yo get merch in place of cash. Their cash would be passed down to someone else.

If enacted, this would prevent Ams effectively playing for cash while retaining Am status.

The distinction between Pro and Am is playing for cash. I may be short-sighted but , eliminating the ability to circumvent that seems like a good thing in that if you want to retain your Am status, you can't loophole around it to effectively play for cash.

That said, as with many things, there may be unintended consequences with such a rule.
The rule didn't change in any meaningful fashion, they just tweaked the verbiage a little. Ams can still play in pro divisions for prizes in events below A Tier if the TD allows it.

The rule didn't change in any meaningful fashion, they just tweaked the verbiage a little. Ams can still play in pro divisions for prizes in events below A Tier if the TD allows it.
Maybe I misunderstood what Skamanda said?

The one that kinda bugs me the most is that Am-classified players who cash in Pro divisions, who turn down their winnings, will no longer be allowed to get merch credit. This one seems a bit senseless, to what I know from my personal experience. I'd love to discuss this one further. I do like that, in that case, the winnings are passed down to the next players in line (rather than just forfeit entirely), but I struggle to think of a problem this rule change is solving.

In my own experience, I've still got 2 am-only events left this season, before I switch to FPO full-time. DGLO (which prior to the creation of the United Series, I wouldn't have been allowed to register for in FPO - and even after that, I still won't ever be able to play, unless I decide to join the tour, due to it being invite only for FPO/MPO), and Michigan Amateur State Championships, which I earned a berth for at an earlier tournament. Because these are both events I have an interest in playing, and can not play in them as a Pro (because my rating is above the threshold for Pros playing Am), this is essentially telling me that if I win any of my events and turn down cash, because I need to keep that Am classification, I am forfeiting anything but a trophy. That just seems like a pointless change.

Does anyone know what might have inspired that rule change? It seems needlessly punitive, with no noteworthy cause...

If the verbiage tweak/rule change doesn't prevent what I described, I'm not sure I understand what it's accomplishing. 🫤

Last edited: