• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First sanctioned event--scoring

Naenae

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have been reading the new policy on scoring for 2024 and I am confused. Does everyone on a card need to independently keep score for the entire card? In other words, 4 scorecards, hopefully identical, on the PDGA app per card? Seems like one card with four attestations would work just as well, but that isn't how I read it.

First C-tier this weekend. Got full blast exposed to Covid yesterday, so it may be a moot point, but more tournaments planned for the spring through fall.

There is no requirement for how you keep score, but all players will need to keep score yes :)

I love u-disc, but to be honest the PDGA app, solely for score keeping, is pretty slick too. I recommend you just get used to that one!

The app will immediately notify the whole card if there is a discrepancy, so ironing out any mistakes is really easy and hard to mess up.

I am new to playing competitively too, so one other word of advice that I received is...play the hole, meet up on the next pad and record scores down the order of play instead of trying to ask people what they got on the way to the pad like my dumb self was doing for a while!

Just played an A Tier this weekend. Every player must keep score for the entire group [four scorecards submitted each round]. Most sanctioned events will be using PDGA Live. It is a very user friendly app. The app will NOT let anyone submit a scorecard that does not match the other three card mates scorecards. There are no longer any attestations.

It worked well............................but, getting everyone to learn that scoring is NOT done on the green, was a challenge. Everyone should simply wait until the group has arrived at the next tee, assign one person to read each name out loud and all can score the hole at one time. We ended up repeating scores three and four times each hole, for everyone to score at different times..................it was stupid and annoying.

Hope COVID passes you over and good luck, if you play. HAVE FUN!! A tournament is only a few minutes of actually throwing, remember to enjoy the day, the course and your card mates!

There is no requirement for how you keep score, but all players will need to keep score yes :)

I love u-disc, but to be honest the PDGA app, solely for score keeping, is pretty slick too. I recommend you just get used to that one!

The app will immediately notify the whole card if there is a discrepancy, so ironing out any mistakes is really easy and hard to mess up.

I am new to playing competitively too, so one other word of advice that I received is...play the hole, meet up on the next pad and record scores down the order of play instead of trying to ask people what they got on the way to the pad like my dumb self was doing for a while!
Paper scorecards were not even discussed in the caddy book or the players meeting this weekend. I am sure, if someone pursued the idea, a paper card would have been supplied. UDisc was not an option. It was PDGA Live. I was playing an A Tier.....a different TD and lower tier level may differ.

We will be approaching my clubs A Tier exactly in the fashion above. Reminders in the caddy book and DGS comment page to bring a charged phone.

Paper scorecards were not even discussed in the caddy book or the players meeting this weekend. I am sure, if someone pursued the idea, a paper card would have been supplied. UDisc was not an option. It was PDGA Live. I was playing an A Tier.....a different TD and lower tier level may differ.

We will be approaching my clubs A Tier exactly in the fashion above. Reminders in the caddy book and DGS comment page to bring a charged phone.
Ok, maybe I am wrong about that thanks! I suppose that makes sense, its probably paper or PDGA (for the vast majority).

No, I think you are correct. It is just up to the TD. Allowing UDisc is kind of silly for the TD. It becomes more work and if a player has a phone and cell signal, why not use the set up PDGA Live app.

From a TD's perspective, we plan to simply leave the appearance that paper is not an option. Last year, we had one of the three leaders in MA1 opt out of PDGA Live to score on paper. Later, we heard he was playing a game. Intentionally hiding his score from his competition and those chasing him. Not sure it was true, but it could happen.

No, I think you are correct. It is just up to the TD. Allowing UDisc is kind of silly for the TD. It becomes more work and if a player has a phone and cell signal, why not use the set up PDGA Live app.
Ya I didn't pay attention to any other method. Guessing some might just let you read off the totals per player? Otherwise it would be a huge pain to allow people to use U-Disc.

I had no issues with the PDGA app so I recommend that one, hopefully with at least one other person also using it :)

Anything that makes it easier on the poor TD lol.

Two quick and minor additions:

Recording scores while walking to the next tee can be a challenge for those with hearing loss. I play with a lot of construction guys: there's a lot of "WHAT???" and repeating if we aren't all facing one another.

There IS an attestation (a box to click, required before submitting). It's pretty small, and tough to see in the sun. First timers often get hung up here.

Two quick and minor additions:

Recording scores while walking to the next tee can be a challenge for those with hearing loss. I play with a lot of construction guys: there's a lot of "WHAT???" and repeating if we aren't all facing one another.

There IS an attestation (a box to click, required before submitting). It's pretty small, and tough to see in the sun. First timers often get hung up here.
Yup, reading the names once at the next tee has been by far the smoothest for me!

From a TD's perspective, we plan to simply leave the appearance that paper is not an option. Last year, we had one of the three leaders in MA1 opt out of PDGA Live to score on paper. Later, we heard he was playing a game. Intentionally hiding his score from his competition and those chasing him. Not sure it was true, but it could happen.
I'm a paper scorecard only guy. If someone thinks it's nefarious I'll gladly enter scores on whatever app pdga wants, if they buy me the phone to do it on. My phone is for work and emergencies and work related emergencies.

If you think everyone should be digital, make it contingent on registration and or provide them the device but pretending paper isn't an option is uncool.

If there was a specific line item in the registration that described the device specs and a check in process that you would need to follow verify them to enter scores digitally for the projected duration of a round, I would have no problem not registering. Until then, I'm going to need a paper card TD.

I'm a paper scorecard only guy. If someone thinks it's nefarious I'll gladly enter scores on whatever app pdga wants, if they buy me the phone to do it on. My phone is for work and emergencies and work related emergencies.

If you think everyone should be digital, make it contingent on registration and or provide them the device but pretending paper isn't an option is uncool.

If there was a specific line item in the registration that described the device specs and a check in process that you would need to follow verify them to enter scores digitally for the projected duration of a round, I would have no problem not registering. Until then, I'm going to need a paper card TD.
I thought TDs had to have free paper cards myself!

I thought TDs had to have free paper cards myself!
They do they just don't want to. The mere thought of going back to the days of a 100+ paper card board probably gives them nightmares or a temporary eye twitch. For the stragglers still using paper it's probably a small inconvenience on their end.

They do they just don't want to. The mere thought of going back to the days of a 100+ paper card board probably gives them nightmares or a temporary eye twitch. For the stragglers still using paper it's probably a small inconvenience on their end.
Paper cards are available at every tournament....yes, TD's are required to have them available. Hey, I am a guy that owns his first cell phone, of any kind, as of a year and a half ago. I am not a fan of doing anything [outside of playing music] on it. But, demanding a paper card at a tournament impacts every other player. To have the means to use digital and choosing not to, is simply being selfish and obtuse. There are exceptions. Some don't have a phone [sounds like your situation], forgot their phone, no cell signal on their carrier, failure to charge it.....

I did not relate the nefarious purpose story for anything other than amusement.

Entering 60 of your individual holes scores is not TD deal breaker, but man, they have a lot of stuff to do....and EVERYONE thinks their own need is the most important and pressing. A paper card makes everyone wait a few minutes longer for the start of the next round, the division waits a little longer to get awards, the risk of card discrepancies rises again, wet/smudged paper cards lead to errors and the need for player/TD collaboration, reading some player's writing is difficult to impossible, players forgetting to turn in their card, at the end of the round is back on the table, the immediate hole score discrepancy feature is void, setting up the four player sitting around going hole by hole fun......I know each of these is kind of silly, but I think you get the point. I am not even a real fan of this rule.

I am not sure, how not broadcasting a paper card option is not cool, but to each their own.

Paper cards are available at every tournament....yes, TD's are required to have them available. Hey, I am a guy that owns his first cell phone, of any kind, as of a year and a half ago. I am not a fan of doing anything [outside of playing music] on it. But, demanding a paper card at a tournament impacts every other player. To have the means to use digital and choosing not to, is simply being selfish and obtuse. There are exceptions. Some don't have a phone [sounds like your situation], forgot their phone, no cell signal on their carrier, failure to charge it.....

I did not relate the nefarious purpose story for anything other than amusement.

Entering 60 of your individual holes scores is not TD deal breaker, but man, they have a lot of stuff to do....and EVERYONE thinks their own need is the most important and pressing. A paper card makes everyone wait a few minutes longer for the start of the next round, the division waits a little longer to get awards, the risk of card discrepancies rises again, wet/smudged paper cards lead to errors and the need for player/TD collaboration, reading some player's writing is difficult to impossible, players forgetting to turn in their card, at the end of the round is back on the table, the immediate hole score discrepancy feature is void, setting up the four player sitting around going hole by hole fun......I know each of these is kind of silly, but I think you get the point. I am not even a real fan of this rule.

I am not sure, how not broadcasting a paper card option is not cool, but to each their own.
Haha oh I get it lol. I already have nothing but massive respect for anyone who has the fortitude to be a TD.

I don't want to waste any of their time.

What events are you running this year? I should play at least one of them.
Lake Marshall Open is an A Tier in the Spring. Hawk Hollow Open will be a B tier in the fall. SpAm (Spotsy Am Championship) is an A tier in the fall where I am only assistant TD but similar choice will exist in registration. That is it for PDGA events as of now- i have cut waaaaaay back.