• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[PDGA Major] Champions Cup 2024

@CD-

Eagle Member
The PDGA had moved the tournament to the end of the 'year' in October/November at a redesigned IDGC WR Jackson course (Pine beetle infestation & clearing trees). Today they announced a move/reschedule to Northwood Park in Peoria in late June between DGPT Preserve and DMC events (Northwood won't be played for Ledgestone in August for the DGPT event).

I see this as a good change for the short term but it takes away from the Ledgestone DGPT+ event a bit. Also affects the two notable A-tiers that were scheduled in between the 2 DGPT events (The Majestic and Mid America Open) that weekend. Of course they may still draw some touring golfers to those events since Champions Cup has historically been a pretty limited field w/ registration invite lists & tiers. Looks like 4 of 7 A-tiers scheduled for that weekend are within the 750 mile minimum distance radius that Majors are supposed to have.

Last edited:
Beat you to it by 2 mins.
The NHDGA had moved the tournament to the end of the 'year' in October/November at a redesigned IDGC WR Jackson course (Pine beetle infestation & clearing trees). Today they announced a move/reschedule to Northwood Park in Peoria in late June between DGPT Preserve and DMC events (Northwood won't be played for Ledgestone in August for the DGPT event).

I see this as a good change for the short term but it takes away from the Ledgestone DGPT+ event a bit. Also affects the two notable A-tiers that were scheduled in between the 2 DGPT events (The Majestic and Mid America Open) that weekend. Of course they may still draw some touring golfers to those events since Champions Cup has historically been a pretty limited field w/ registration invite lists & tiers. Looks like 4 of 7 A-tiers scheduled for that weekend are within the 750 mile minimum distance radius that Majors are supposed to have.
Hey, fixed the typo you made in the above post. See: emphasized in quoted text.

Can't the Champions Cup just skip a year? Would DGPT lose so much money that it's worth pissing off 100s of people? If this is a premier event, take a few more months and do it up big in 2025.

Of course it's both. Every event on the DGN schedule is ultimately under the control of DGPT, even if no one will say it out loud. The PDGA wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't the DGPT pulling the levers behind the curtain.

Honestly don't think this is going to affect any of the A-Tiers near by. In fact, pros that don't get into Champions Cup might be more likely to stay in Minnesota to play the Majestic, or drive south to play Mid-America before heading back to Des Moines for the Challenge.

People in Europe (Especially Sweden and Finland) is not very impressed about this move.

The comments I have seen so far in the Swedish BG forums I haven't seen one single positive reaction, only negative and disappointed posts.

I'm also happy they moved from november, but sad they weren't being able to put it in april or may.

1700228576116.png1700228581174.png

Forgot about that - didn't the DGPT "buy" the Euro Tour last month? And IIRC PDGA Europe essentially gave operations to the DGPT as well.
So DGPT had to realize the Champions Cup wasn't going to happen if the tree cutting didn't start before about mid-October. They had a spot between two former Silver Series events but had to weaken their new Euro investment as a result.
Follow the $$ - which would you pick?

Yeah, pretty unfortunate for all the European players (and even some North American players) that may have tried to play all the DGPT Europe events.

Feel like a alternate weekend that fits the Tour travel schedule could have been between MCO and DDO in late April. Unsure how much time the PDGA would need to get all the logistics/course maintenance for a Major in place. Other Tour courses in the region between Nashville and Emporia are Idlewild & Harmony Bends.

Of course springtime weather in the Midwest can be unpredictable so maybe that factored in. Unsure what those wooded courses would look like in late April either.

They missed a golden opportunity to use Eagle's Crossing between the Music City Open and the Dynamic Discs Open and not affect the schedule or conflict much with anything else. Or use Harmony Bends as has been suggested.

They missed a golden opportunity to use Eagle's Crossing between the Music City Open and the Dynamic Discs Open and not affect the schedule or conflict much with anything else. Or use Harmony Bends as has been suggested.

I think Eagles Crossing has even worse cell reception than Northwoods Black.

The PDGA had moved the tournament to the end of the 'year' in October/November at a redesigned IDGC WR Jackson course (Pine beetle infestation & clearing trees). Today they announced a move/reschedule to Northwood Park in Peoria in late June between DGPT Preserve and DMC events (Northwood won't be played for Ledgestone in August for the DGPT event).

What a bunch of shit.

I think Eagles Crossing has even worse cell reception than Northwoods Black.

For live coverage probably. The times I've played there I had no issue with cell service, and the course has it's own WIFI. I know that previous the "coverage" company had difficulties, but that could be a product of them being a dumpster fire of a company with no experience. Maybe the owner of Eagle's Crossing has put in work to improve cell coverage? I don't know.

Facebook post by Bryan Gort:

I can't stop thinking about the PDGAs decision to reschedule the Champ Cup on top of an elite series event in Europe so I think it would help for me to explain for my American friends why this decision is so problematic.

I met the guys who run the Swedish Open in 2014 at the International Disc Golf Center. At this time, the PDGA hosted an event solely for tournament directors called the Directors Cup. This event was free to any PDGA TD and was an incredibly valuable experience for TDs. The event had a seminar component and a play component. It was wonderful to have a place to meet fellow TDs and bounce ideas off of them.

The Swedes came to the Directors Cup at least twice and were always both pleasant and eager to learn from U.S. TDs. Their goal was to host a large event back home in Sweden and were working very hard to follow PDGA guidelines and learn to go through proper PDGA channels to get their event.

In 2018 the PDGA discontinued the Directors Cup. I was sad about this (and fought with the PDGA about it but that's a story for another day). I was most concerned about how this cancellation impacted my international friends who had been traveling to the U.S. to learn from the PDGA.

Over the last few years I corresponded with my new Swedish friends which culminated in them inviting me to play the Swedish Open in 2023, which was now to be a DGPT Silver Series event. Through years of hard work and dedication the Swedes had accomplished their goal of hosting a large event in their country. Even better, the tournament had been legitimatized by the many international players traveling to player the event including Paul McBeth.

The 2023 Swedish Open was flawless. The event was so good that the powers that be including PDGA Europe and the DGPT awarded the Swedish Open its first ever Elite Series event in 2024. This event was going to be tied to a month long European swing that would encourage many U.S. players to play in Europe, including ones that have never come over before.

The unified schedule released for 2024 required players to either skip the Iowa event or the Swedish Open. Players would have a choice in this schedule which event they would skip. The new PDGA announcement eliminates that choice because a major is now scheduled on the same weekend as the Swedish Open.

A little history is needed now. In 2023 Europe had two tours, the Finnish tour and the everyone else in Europe tour. European disc golf was fractured by this. Earlier this year, for the 2024 season, the PDGA and DGPT announced that there would be unified European tour with 5 elite series stops. None of these stops conflicted with U.S. elite series events or majors.

This is what the PDGA said about the announcement of the new tour, "A new unified European tour, in collaboration with PDGA Europe and its PDGA Euro Tour, the European Pro Tour and the Disc Golf Pro Tour, was announced on Wednesday, ushering in a new era for professional disc golf in Europe."

Unfortunately, this "unified" idea was short lived. Yesterday, the PDGA decided to plop a major event in the U.S. on the same date as the Elite Series Swedish Open. This will gut both European and American participation in the Swedish open.

What's even worse is that the PDGA did not communicate any of this with the Swedish Open. Unfortunately this is symptomatic of the PDGA decision making process. On PDGA radio yesterday, they said this date fit perfectly because it was an open weekend on the schedule. This comment shows what a U.S. centric organization the PDGA is. Why should our friends around the globe trust the PDGA when it proves time and time again it had the U.S. interests at heart but not the world's?

So what happens now? Either the PDGA changes its date for the 4th time or the Swedish Open will be decimated. Will my friends in Sweden continue to support the PDGA as they have diligently for the last decade? Ultimately these decisions are out my hands but I hope you will share this thread and raise notice about this poor decision from the PDGA.

The Swedish TD found out through a press release??!?!
Since the DGPT now owns the Euro tour, it's not like they would ask to be removed from Elite status. If they can run their own event without the parameters DGPT requires, they might attract more European talent, lower entry fees, less staff needed, etc.

Forgot about that - didn't the DGPT "buy" the Euro Tour last month? And IIRC PDGA Europe essentially gave operations to the DGPT as well.
So DGPT had to realize the Champions Cup wasn't going to happen if the tree cutting didn't start before about mid-October. They had a spot between two former Silver Series events but had to weaken their new Euro investment as a result.
Follow the $$ - which would you pick?
You say it as if there were only 2 choices...

IMO the thing to do when it became known IDGC was not going to be available was to move the thing somewhere else in the same general region and carry on with the original date. Whoever thought there would be a top notch course available by next fall at IDGC was smoking crack- bad decision number 1. Deciding to move the date a second time and screw over both European and US events in the process was bad decision number 2. They say things come in threes so we can wait and see what's next.

Facebook post by Bryan Gort:

I can't stop thinking about the PDGAs decision to reschedule the Champ Cup on top of an elite series event in Europe so I think it would help for me to explain for my American friends why this decision is so problematic.

I met the guys who run the Swedish Open in 2014 at the International Disc Golf Center. At this time, the PDGA hosted an event solely for tournament directors called the Directors Cup. This event was free to any PDGA TD and was an incredibly valuable experience for TDs. The event had a seminar component and a play component. It was wonderful to have a place to meet fellow TDs and bounce ideas off of them.

The Swedes came to the Directors Cup at least twice and were always both pleasant and eager to learn from U.S. TDs. Their goal was to host a large event back home in Sweden and were working very hard to follow PDGA guidelines and learn to go through proper PDGA channels to get their event.

In 2018 the PDGA discontinued the Directors Cup. I was sad about this (and fought with the PDGA about it but that's a story for another day). I was most concerned about how this cancellation impacted my international friends who had been traveling to the U.S. to learn from the PDGA.

Over the last few years I corresponded with my new Swedish friends which culminated in them inviting me to play the Swedish Open in 2023, which was now to be a DGPT Silver Series event. Through years of hard work and dedication the Swedes had accomplished their goal of hosting a large event in their country. Even better, the tournament had been legitimatized by the many international players traveling to player the event including Paul McBeth.

The 2023 Swedish Open was flawless. The event was so good that the powers that be including PDGA Europe and the DGPT awarded the Swedish Open its first ever Elite Series event in 2024. This event was going to be tied to a month long European swing that would encourage many U.S. players to play in Europe, including ones that have never come over before.

The unified schedule released for 2024 required players to either skip the Iowa event or the Swedish Open. Players would have a choice in this schedule which event they would skip. The new PDGA announcement eliminates that choice because a major is now scheduled on the same weekend as the Swedish Open.

A little history is needed now. In 2023 Europe had two tours, the Finnish tour and the everyone else in Europe tour. European disc golf was fractured by this. Earlier this year, for the 2024 season, the PDGA and DGPT announced that there would be unified European tour with 5 elite series stops. None of these stops conflicted with U.S. elite series events or majors.

This is what the PDGA said about the announcement of the new tour, "A new unified European tour, in collaboration with PDGA Europe and its PDGA Euro Tour, the European Pro Tour and the Disc Golf Pro Tour, was announced on Wednesday, ushering in a new era for professional disc golf in Europe."

Unfortunately, this "unified" idea was short lived. Yesterday, the PDGA decided to plop a major event in the U.S. on the same date as the Elite Series Swedish Open. This will gut both European and American participation in the Swedish open.

What's even worse is that the PDGA did not communicate any of this with the Swedish Open. Unfortunately this is symptomatic of the PDGA decision making process. On PDGA radio yesterday, they said this date fit perfectly because it was an open weekend on the schedule. This comment shows what a U.S. centric organization the PDGA is. Why should our friends around the globe trust the PDGA when it proves time and time again it had the U.S. interests at heart but not the world's?

So what happens now? Either the PDGA changes its date for the 4th time or the Swedish Open will be decimated. Will my friends in Sweden continue to support the PDGA as they have diligently for the last decade? Ultimately these decisions are out my hands but I hope you will share this thread and raise notice about this poor decision from the PDGA.
Yeah......it's not really all about you, Bryan.

Love,
Nate