• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Trilogy discs into a headwind

DGspin

Bogey Member
Have you guys had good results throwing lat, westside, DD into headwinds?

In my experience with them it seems they just slightly miss the mark with 'overstable discs' the majority of the time. I haven't tried things like the Giant, Stilleto, World, and Enforcer so this is aimed more toward speed 9 and under discs (thats typicaly what I throw).

Some examples I have tried:

fuzion suspect- When I got it, i felt it was no where near the stability I was expecting, and wouldn't feel confident throwing it in 20+ mph winds. I will say it has a comfortable feel and is a very accurate approach disc that holds sweet hyzer lines though.

Striker- I've thrown a couple in opto plastic and they have a pretty considerable amount of turn, not headwind worthy. (isn't this one advertised overstable too?) Also, I did throw a 'snowflake' striker in GL that was considerably more overstable than the lucids.

Saint- this was advertised as overstable control driver which it clearly wasn't (I understand they were aware shortly after and changed that on the disc)

Saint Pro- It was definitely overstable when I first got it, but after about a month and the flashing was gone, the flight characteristics changed drastically to straight with just a little fade. I had a bad experience throwing it into a headwind a couple times (could've been user error)

Trespass- Mine was around 170g and after I put some use on it. I found it turning pretty hard in headwinds. ( yes this isn't speed 9 or below but i found the rim comfortable so I tried it).

I will say Their plastics (opto/lucid/vip in particular) are supreme! I don't want to come off as a trilogy hater because that isn't the case. Just stating my observations and wondering what you guys think and have experienced.

:popcorn:

If I am going to throw trilogy into a headwind, I will use a fuzion escape or fuzion trespass. Both throw with decent results. These two are standard in my bag, along with a couple of renegades and a lucid suspect. The Renegades to not fair well in a head wind. For shorter distances the suspect does well also. The escape is a 175g, the trespass is 168g, and the suspect is 173g.

The escape and trespass were prior to the release of the crave and tesla. I will more commonly use these instead of the DD plastics. The DD plastic performs ok, however the other two border on fearless.

IMO

I loved the Escape. So the Fuzion plastics hold better in the wind? I switched from escapes to PDs because I felt I could get a simliar flight froma P-PD, and carry S-Line and C-Line for winds/skips without carrying multiple molds. I will have to check that out.

I was under the impression GL and Fuzion type plastics ran a little less stable.

In my very limited experience with Lat/WS/DD, I have found that the discs don't handle the wind very well (and it's very windy in South Texas this time of year). I tried an all Westside bag out for a while, and love the flight of discs like the Giant, Stag, Warship, Tursas, and Swan.

I figured that substituting a Stag for a Teebird would be a good replacement. The Stag flies beautifully when thrown with a hyzerflip in non-windy conditions. I was throwing them about 390 on dead straight lines. However, it simply couldn't handle any headwind whatsoever. Same thing with the warship compared to the Buzzz. If I lived somewhere that wasn't windy, I'd definitely keep throwing them.

The Giant was the exception. Probably the best all around disc that I've tried from the Trilogy company from overseas. When I run out of good destroyers, I might start stocking up on Tournament Giants.

As always with discs, opinions will vary.

I loved the Escape. So the Fuzion plastics hold better in the wind? I switched from escapes to PDs because I felt I could get a simliar flight froma P-PD, and carry S-Line and C-Line for winds/skips without carrying multiple molds. I will have to check that out.

pds are def the way to go. listen to this person op

This was part of the reason that I stopped throwing Trilogy discs. Here on the West Coast, the wind can get pretty nasty, and I like throwing discs that I know will stand up. I never had great results with the Trilogy stuff. That being said, I ordered two Daggers that I am excited to try out haha

Some others have chimed in on the PD. I have not throw one so have no experience. Direct to the Escape, I do find a Fuzion holds better. Another part of it is that I specifically seek Fuzion Escapes with a flatter top.

What comparable discs from other companies will handle a 20 mph headwind? If you're playing in that kind of wind, you could choose from any of the following: Trident, XXX, Enforcer, Villain, Boatman, Scythe, or Stiletto. If you're playing in wind, how you throw a disc is as important as what disc you're throwing.

I love Trilogy but not in the wind.

I'll bomb the Escape all day until the wind picks up then I switch to the PD.

My gold line Flow is my main distance driver but if there's just the slightest hint of wind I go with the Opto.

I just picked up an Enforcer and that thing can hand wind, no questions asked. Any wind, any throw, it's beef.

Saint Pros are only slightly overstable when they have flashing. As soon as it's gone, they lose a lot of HSS.

Harp, Stilletto and Giant are all great. I love a Stiletto it's indestructible into a headwind and you can throw some great flex bombs with it.

XXX, Enforcer and Stiletto will all easily handle 20 mph headwind. I have a few Worlds and the Optos are decent into a wind. Small flip but not burning over. 380 golf distance.

What comparable discs from other companies will handle a 20 mph headwind? If you're playing in that kind of wind, you could choose from any of the following: Trident, XXX, Enforcer, Villain, Boatman, Scythe, or Stiletto. If you're playing in wind, how you throw a disc is as important as what disc you're throwing.

I agree that how you throw a disc in the wind is as important as the disc your throwing. In the OP I was referring to discs that are speed 10 and below. The two you mentioned, trident and xxx are specifically utility drivers and the only ones that come to mind that can handle a stiff headwind. I'd imagine the new harp is pretty decent from what I have read as well. Comparable discs that can handle this: Teebirds, Eagles, Banshees, Gazelle, Firebird, FL, starfire, orc, monster, Avenger, Surge to list a quick few.

Also, Isn't it the overall consensus that higher speed discs and the disc profile of itself handle wind better? Especially if someone doesn't have the armspeed. (me)

Also, Isn't it the overall consensus that higher speed discs and the disc profile of itself handle wind better? Especially if someone doesn't have the armspeed. (me)

For sure. A 20 mph headwind the disc will react like it's being thrown 20 mph faster then your normal speed.

a disc doesn't have to be super OS to throw it in a headwind. I throw my ions in these all the time without issue and rarely ever a SUPER overstable disc. You can get more lateral fade a lot of times from a lower speed or slightly less OS disc than one which is straight beef.

Its more a matter of clean releases and throwing with some hyzer in the wind vs the discs being used. Anything above speed 7 can fly fine in a headwind (assuming its not crazy understable) due to its profile alone being very aerodynamic-- its not as easy to throw consistently though which is why you see the use of OS discs.

Nailed it. I would also include the harp and giant. If you're looking more at fairways, which it sounds like you are, the trident is definitely a good try. Tweener fairway mid for most, and can be powered up or down. Boatman is a fantastic disc, and if you like the Trespass is a similar rim to that. You'll be surprised by the beef, don't let the "0,2" flight numbers fool you on that one. Villian is a popular smaller rimmed driver that people use for wind shots, and probably fits that cpd role (though i havent thrown a cpd, sorry). The escape doesn't handle wind very well from what I've thrown, and I usually get those out to about 350' on the course. The Trilogy has some great discs that can cover just about any situation except for that speed 7/8 that is between a XXX and saint. The saint pro is the closest thing, but it does break in to a straight flyer that will turn in the wind.

Edit: Feldberg said in his ITB that they are putting out a Saint Pro "Pro"...which is basically a slightly modified Saint Pro that will handle more power and wind. I'm pretty damn stoked for this thing!

Edit: Feldberg said in his ITB that they are putting out a Saint Pro "Pro"...which is basically a slightly modified Saint Pro that will handle more power and wind. I'm pretty damn stoked for this thing!

Sure about that? I'm pretty sure he's just saying there might be other molds in the future with that symbol that are "pro" designed and approved with the big arm throwers in mind. I don't believe there is going to be a modified saint pro.

Latest posts