• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Troubling Flick

Varsi said:
I assume XXX or a flat Firebird should do that. 1st run Prodiscus premium Respecti as well by those are probably impossible to find.

I have seen the XXX and flat top Firebird mentioned the most. I don't know who makes the XXX or how to know if I'm getting a flat top Firebird. So any extra information on those two would be appreciated.

XXX is made by Latitude 64. Get a flat opto. Flat top firebirds refer to a few runs that came out super flat. The current run of stiff flat champ firebirds are the ones that people are referring to. Any store worth their salt will know what you are asking and pick one out for you if you are ordering online or over the phone. If you're looking for shorter shots that will anny and then quickly dump back right, whippets are a great option. If you're looking to throw fh cleanly with good form and have a complete game then do what Mr. Ellis recommended.

Like I said, I'm not really looking for an average straight throw. I want something that is stupidly over stable so I can throw a max power anhyzer and have it flip back over fairly quick. Which a Flick does under most circstances. But if I really bomb it down the course, it takes a minimum of 200-250 feet before it starts to turn over. I'm just looking for something that will turn over even more quick than a Flick. I know it sounds useless, but I don't play too seriously. I play the same way I shoot pool. I enjoy going for extremely ridiculous shots that really are unnecessary. It just makes the game more interesting.

Nuke OS, Quasar OS?, XXX, Spirit. Firebirds even with flat tops belong to the next of straighter still very overstable class with the Force (Discraft) and CFR C PD (Discmania).

The disc I was initially looking at was the Nuke OS since it is rated as a longer distance driver than the Flick with the same or closest stability to it. Now those are manufacturer specs, of course, and the closest thing I've found as a "review" was the hugelisting of disc specs somebody posted earlier in the thread. It listed the OS as less stable than the Flick with the same range. It did say it was more stable than a regular Nuke, but I'm assuming if the range ratings are similar to "speed" ratings that its going to perform worse than my Flick.

I have not thrown a Nuke OS and know that not all flicks are truly overstable at winds or lesser spin throw like the side arm. NukeOS was designed to give the distance throwing champion Dion Arlyn something reliable that does not flip for him with his 700'+ of power and from those people that have reviewed that disc here it is all that. Stupid overstable for normal players so i'd use the search function on this board. The charts are not accurate always. Actually they are very vague and inaccurate at times so there is no substitute for getting actual more aspects touching reviews from people who have thrown them. I trust the NukeOS to be very much more overstable than the Flick ESP i have based on what others have said here.

I've not heard anyone mention a Max, Monster or Ape. I've thrown the first two but at that time they flew the same as a firebird. Someone who has more experience with them may be able to comment.

The Max is certainly a pretty overstable disc, i haven't thrown the Monster and the Ape is not as good as its Discmania Brother S PD2. Giant should work too.

I just got back from a round at my local course. Met a guy out there that says he has a similar problem with the Flick just not quite cutting it on really powerful or windy shots. He said I should definitely go for the Nuke OS if I want something outrageously overstable. I watched him throw one into a sustained 20 mph headwind with enough power to put it ~300 feet down range and it didn't even try to go anhyzer on him. Although, I will say his release was slightly hyzer which could have been why it didn't flip. On the exact same shot, my flick turned over on me from a 5-15 degree hyzer and went almost the same degree anhyzer before straightening out.

Count me as third but with ESP Flicks knowing not about current Zs from personal experience. There are beefier discs that handle headwinds with forehands.

Trent, which Flick do you have ? ESP, Z , ???

I thought I read somewhere that some Flicks are rated by Discraft as 2.0 stability and some are 2.5 stability.

I just bought a mint used Z Flick 2.5 tie dye that is 170g , super flat top. Probably the thinnest, flattest disc I've seen. I was looking for a disc to throw fore hand , as the majority of my drivers are understable and flip when I try to fore hand them. With the Flick I have , I can fore hand it pretty much as hard as I can with some anhyzer , and it will give me a slight left hand line drive under power and fade right and drop hard straight in front of me. Doesn't seem to have much, if any, glide. Disc stays about 6-8 feet off the ground and goes about 300 feet.

I tried throwing a Halo and while I can get a bit more distance from it, it flies much higher and has more of an S curve to it. I like the Flick 2.5 because it gives me nice low line drives for a good distance (at least for me :p ).

Bringing it back from the dead, lol. But the solution I found was a Nuke OS. I've heard a lot of great stuff about the older Flicks, but never wanted to pay to get my hands on one in any kind of decent shape. Nuke OS was a monster to get the hang of for me compared to the Flick, but she is sooo much fun.

Just the regular, newer version. They are all rated at 2.0, but they are a speed tier below the Nuke OS.

Ok. So the one I have is the older model then. I didn't really know anything about this disc before I tried it and bought it. Lucky for me I guess. Based on it's flight chart on the Inbounds website I probably never would have thought to try it. I guess that just goes to show the charts are just a very basic guideline. Thankfully Aaron at WYSIWYG disc golf store suggested I try it as a fore hand disc.

Hands on and a few throws later and I shelled out some cash ! :D

I loved my Flicks while they lasted. If you ever get to a point where you have that disc down fairly well, I would definitely suggest picking up a Nuke OS. It's a wicked little disc, but you can pull of some shots that you wouldn't even think of with a normal disc.

http://discraft.com/prod_flick_z.html

According to the Discraft site , the Flick is a 2.5 stability, while the OS Nuke is a 2.2 , but the Nuke is a higher speed rating.

http://discraft.com/prod_nukeos_z.html

I suppose the Nuke OS has a wider lip than the Flick. I have trouble throwing the wide rimmed discs for some reason. Not a small hands thing, I can palm a basketball. I guess it is just a matter of learning to grip the disc differently than I am used to. :?

Tried throwing several of the wider lipped, higher speed discs , I just can't seem to get a good grip on em.

Hmmm, haven't had a Flick in a while. So there is a really good chance I'm off on the ratings. All I know is that a guy showed me one from a few years back and mine looked like it had a round top compared to his. The edge of the disc was within a millimeter of the height of the center. I haven't seen one as flat since then.

A local bomber managed to anny the Stiletto on a high throw about 90 % of the way bh so not the same thing spin wise. Not everyone can. Some like Giants fh too. Flat Flicks are nice but so are flat Firebirds that are more os than fbs with dome. There are flatter Bosses that act more os too and they work well for fh monster Ville Piippo. Again not everyone can give enough power to those.