• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Undesirable behavior on a public course

Staghorn said:
Three Puttz said:
Just out of curiosity, where is swearing in public punishable by law?

Everywhere. I'm not a lawyer, or a cop, but I know if it's enough of a nuisance to other people there's a law that can be applied to it. A blanket law like 'disturbing the peace' will do. Even if it was dismissed in court, you'll wish you didn't get pinched for it in the first place. We have ways of making you talk nicely.
Disorderly Conduct is typically the most common of these catch all charges. Even then, just using profanity, even if it offends somebody, is not enough to be charged with anything. A lot of other factors, such as context, have to be taken into consideration, as well.

I'm aware of some archaic laws regarding profanity, but nothing that would be enforceable. You can sometimes find them on those wacky law lists you see from time to time, right along side of laws that stipulate how you can legally beat your wife and other laws of that nature.

I work in law enforcement and this one is touchy. At the very least law enforcement can be called out and that is the last thing someone wants.

Three Puttz said:
martinb said:
Three Puttz said:
Just out of curiosity, where is swearing in public punishable by law?

Utah
I know for a fact that isn't true. There was just some town in Utah that was trying to write an ordinance to make it illegal to use profanity in public parks. If profanity was already illegal in Utah, why would an ordinance specifically targeting public parks be necessary?

West Valley city in Utah has an ordinance for swearing in public. you can be cited for it. does that ever happen? i doubt it.

Latest posts