• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Venom a Speed 13?? Rim Width Comparison.

jjmiller

Eagle Member
Just picked up a new Venom. In case anyone is interested, the rim width is .860" according to my calipers. For comparison, a brand new ESP Force measures .880" and is also a hair sharper on the leading edge. A Surge/Thrasher/Punisher/Machete measure .840", so this new Venom is right between those and the Force. Nukes are .975" and the Nuke OS is .950".

A Destroyer measures ~.910" and a Wraith is .850", for comparison to other popular discs.

I appreciate the imperial unit of measure. Curious how the old venom compared.

Also I'm down to argue about flight numbers if anyone is interested.

I appreciate the imperial unit of measure. Curious how the old venom compared.

Also I'm down to argue about flight numbers if anyone is interested.
Not sure on measurements, but the old venom rim felt wider, and it was nowhere near as overstable as the new one...

Also interesting that the Venom is only approved to 174.3g due to a slightly smaller diameter than the Force.

DGA Hypercane has really similar specs (approved 2.2cm rim width yet 176g max weight approval) and is also given the 13 speed rating but the Hurricane is given speed 12 with a 2.3cm rim width.

Maybe some shuffling of flight ratings by both brands? Discraft didn't have the 4 number rating until pretty recently - just their 1 number stability rating. I think DGA added it pretty recently as well.

It feels like a 12 to me, I've got a really pretty one and it bombs but I wish it were a bit more stable.

Mine has gotten a little warped from just a few tree hits in ESP so that was disappointing.