• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wanna win some sweet discs? Enter my Dye contest!!

Sorry for laying some tracks on this derail; But based on the pictures, how do you handle picture/logo/image rights?

Because I have a deal with my local plastic pusher to do some dyes for him - and I am very aware not to get him and me in trouble by using designs or design parts that are not proprietary to me or him - or specifically free to use.

I use "free to use" images mostly. For things like Star Wars images, I use freely-shared "fan art," most of which I end up changing anyways. For the most part, there is enough variance between the digital image and finished dye to not be stepping on anyone's toes.
If I use an image that somebody is claiming ownership of, I'll Msg them and ask. Most people will say its fine to use as along as they get a shout-out/credit for it. I've used a couple bands' art and they seem to be fine with it as long as its just a one-off and not mass-produced.
I operate under the same the same principle as Dynamic discs for custom work- That it is the clients responsibility to cover rights/ownership of the image. I've seen a few of their DyeMax discs that had copyrighted/trademarked images used, and don't think it's an issue for them.

Since you are the one doing the dyeing, and not the store, they don't really have much liability for it, and as long as you're not mass-producing the image and passing it off as authentic licensed material or claiming that it is your company's IP, there's not much worry for you. It's basically the same as how a second-hand store doesn't have to worry about licensing/distribution rights for the clothes and stuff that people bring in. Or so I was legally advised.

So, with that being said, Where's Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston?

If you're looking for images online, you can always search for images that have a Creative Commons license. Anything listed as such should be fine to use.

Speaking as devil's advocate, as long as your buddy is only "pushing plastic" in his local shop and not online, the chances of someone who owns the trademark on an image you used without permission actually showing up at the shop are slim-to-none.

Although now I'm curious ... If an artist were to paint a picture of Chewbacca in an obviously non-Star Wars setting, like sitting in a high backed chair wearing a smoking jacket while holding a snifter of brandy, would George Lucas get a percentage if the artist were to sell the painting?

Regardless of the answer, I fully expect to see that disc in the Dye-a-day thread.

If Lucas Inc. came after him, the likely result would not be taking a percentage. In such cases, whether it be images or music, you won't get to keep a dime. And if lucky not be paying anything on top.

That being said I believe there are some uses that are permitted, but I am pretty sure that once you bring dollars into the picture that window gets very narrow - if not completely closed.

Addition: As you say, theres a very slim chance of this garnering attention from someone who would matter, but its my experience that such chances fattens up the moment I take them. :)
It is an online shop and he prob could keep them for face to face sales, but that was not the intention.

Dying for a hobby and selling some of those discs with copyrighted imagery via these forums is one thing, but once you go online with a decidely commercial angle you are taking a risk of it becoming a commercially very unsound idea..

I battle with the copyright demons with a lot of the discs I do. Hence the reason I only do an image once and never mass produce. Now with the onslaught of the Grateful Dead copyright infringement case I'm worried about doing anything dead anymore. I try to make a small living doing dye's but I don't even make minimum wage doing it.
I'd be interested in you dye contest but I agree with the others, and it all sounds like you want some PHAT dyes for dirt cheap.