• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you make of this?

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
I posted this here because he was shunning disc golf backpacks...now to me this guy isn't making any sense and im taking it as a troll, but i want yalls opinion....I don't know about yall but i would wear any reasonably sized disc golf backpack (Grip, Ranger, Catalyst, etc.) day and night and won't have any issues...its a backpack, it distributes weight in all the right places like regular backpacks do...what do yall think? These are the comments i received on my horribly done backpack archive video part 1

"I "throw" discs (about two hours a day five days a week for eight years!), I don't "carry them"! As long as the weight is on the shoulders the bag is improperly designed!
Best is a cart, next best is carrying (20 lbs plus 4 tall boys! and water!) on your back but with a waist strap to place the load on the hips--like a real backpack ...
I don't care who you are, YOU WANT TO BE FRESH TO THROW! Stop carrying your discs on your shoulders!
Bag designers: go carry a twenty-five lb pack around all day for a few weeks in a row! A FULL MONTH, taking it off and putting it on, all day long! THEN, design a bag that works!
Why bother! WE WANT YOUR $$$ AND YOUR SUFFERING!"

"DISC GOLF CART!
BAGS ARE GARBAGE BY DESIGN! THEY RUIN YOUR ARMS AND BACK AND SHOULDERS AND NECK AND BALANCE! NO HIP SUPPORT! CRAZY!!!
ALL $$$$$$$$$$ DRIVEN BY RETARDED THIEVES!"

so yeah...thoughts?

My bag probably spends more time on the ground than it does actually on my back or shoulder. I'm not too concerned about any sort of bag related damage.

At best his response is a bit muddled, but I think I know what he is saying. His complaint appears to be more with the design of any disc golf pack and how they handle weight distribution. In order for weight to be distributed correctly the pack must have a sufficient hip belt. Almost all the weight of the pack should sit on your hips and the shoulder straps are basically there for support.

It doesnt look like any pack with maybe the exception of the Mahal has any real weight distribution system to take the load off your shoulders.

By the way I thought the video you did was nicely done.

Last edited:
I agree with slvravn. As an ex backpacker it was all about getting the load on the hips. However, with the lighter weight of a disc golf backpack and the shorter intervals at which it is worn, I couldn't care less.

I'd rather never have anything on my shoulders (cart), but I haven't found a good enough deal on a used stroller to pull the trigger. When I cut the amount of discs I carried, I gained another round's worth of energy. When I moved to a backpack, I gained even more energy. Since I mainly play cart-conducive courses, it seems like the next logical step.

At this point I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of using any bag (pick up, put on, walk a few hundred feet, take off, set down...lather, rinse, repeat). Climbing hills would be rough with a cart, but I believe I have a solution to make even that easier.

That drone is awesome! It had a weight limit that would handle a bag too...

We're one step closer to the Jetsons.

It doesnt look like any pack with maybe the exception of the Mahal has any real weight distribution system to take the load off your shoulders.

By the way I thought the video you did was nicely done.

thanks :) I say it was horribly done because I only had a fraction of the market of bags to compare and disc golf pedestrians as I like to all them weren't very willing to try them on and give their opinions on the bags so nothing went really according to plan

There are some good points in there. When carrying a load, especially for any length of time, it's a lot better to have the weight up higher on your back, close in to your body, and have the weight riding on your hips rather than your shoulders. Any good day hiking or backpacking bag does exactly that. The problem in disc golf is that we take our bags on and off a whole lot more than you would with a hiking bag. When you're only taking the bag off every couple hours, it doesn't matter that it takes a little extra time to get it back on and adjusted. In disc golf that would be really frustrating. The Mahal does a better job of that, but most people I've seen with it only get it fully buckled on if there's a long walk between holes which tells me that disc golfers would rather have something convenient to get on and off than something that carries the load a little better than the current offerings.

I often play several rounds in a day, and I've really noticed a difference between the traditional style bags and a backpack bag. I'm sure I'd feel even better with a bag that got the weight in the right place, but I personally wouldn't trade that for the convenience of my Simian.

There are some good points in there. When carrying a load, especially for any length of time, it's a lot better to have the weight up higher on your back, close in to your body, and have the weight riding on your hips rather than your shoulders. Any good day hiking or backpacking bag does exactly that. The problem in disc golf is that we take our bags on and off a whole lot more than you would with a hiking bag. When you're only taking the bag off every couple hours, it doesn't matter that it takes a little extra time to get it back on and adjusted. In disc golf that would be really frustrating. The Mahal does a better job of that, but most people I've seen with it only get it fully buckled on if there's a long walk between holes which tells me that disc golfers would rather have something convenient to get on and off than something that carries the load a little better than the current offerings.

I often play several rounds in a day, and I've really noticed a difference between the traditional style bags and a backpack bag. I'm sure I'd feel even better with a bag that got the weight in the right place, but I personally wouldn't trade that for the convenience of my Simian.

Really well put, I think this is a good summary.

Why does his bag weigh 25 pounds? 3 discs is roughly 1 pound and he says 20 pounds plus 5 pounds of other stuff. Why is he carrying that many discs? Oh yea hes crazy.

I carry 20 discs, which adds up to 7.5lbs. 2L of water adds another 4.5 pounds. Bag is another 2-3 pounds. Throw in towels, golden retriever and some other random odds and ends and you're pushing 20 pounds.

I've never carried a disc golf bag and thought "man, this is heavy." Not after 60 holes in a day, let alone 18. It's easier than carrying a set of golf clubs around in a bag with a dozen or more extra balls, an umbrella, water, supplies, etc, and over a shorter distance as well.

I rarely even use both straps - I just throw one over my shoulder (usually the right shoulder) - on the DG bags I've got.

Man, I rock a a fully packed Voodoo Karma and I am a pack-rat that carries way too much crap that I never use, (but I might use it some day, so I have it) and I have never had an issue with my bag being too heavy. Carts are cool, but if you are so weak that the bag full of discs you have is f-ing your game then the bag is the least of your issues.
The complaining idiot can do one of the following: Grow a pair, learn how to put his heavy a$$ bag down while he waits for his idiot friends to find their disc, get a cart (and shut up cause it isn't that cool), throw putter only rounds... or any of the other other options available, but for the love of jebus he should shut the f--- up about how bad bags are.

i just weighed my Grip-A on the bathroom scale
no water and none of my back-up discs (add 3-6 discs)
it was about 14 lbs +/-

Buy a Mahal and all problems he gripes about are gone. The Mahal is built around all his concerns. He is right about carrying a pack on your waist but give me a break, if your half ass healthy a backpack is not going to be the cause of your fatigue or shoulder problems.

Though the OP was a bit on the ranting side of things and didn't make his points as well as he could have, it seemed to me that he was commenting on the ergonomics of current disc golf bags not the fact that carrying the weight was an issue. That's actually a good point like I mentioned above, though we do have to make tradeoffs for convenience vs. ergonomics. I'm a healthy person in my mid twenties, so I don't have any problems carrying a bunch of weight on my shoulders for a long day. That doesn't mean it's a healthy thing to do for your back and shoulders in the long term, it's just not how your body is designed to carry weight.

I'm pretty sure its worse for you to pull a cart through a mountainous course (like Whistler, BC). Can you imagine the minor damage you could sustain to an elbow?

Latest posts