• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What makes plastic “fingerprinty”

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
I'd heard this term before but never knew what it meant. Just left PIAG with this old QJLS. Found it in the bin and thought something had spilled on it since it was so sticky. I guess this is what is meant by "jolly launcher" plastic? Def feels like a sticky jolly rancher lol.

My question is - what causes this? Is it something innova is trying to do or do some champ runs just season this way? I've got some new QJLS that feel like normal, slick champ plastic. Wish they were all like this lol.
f8041613f7bf85dbf7fb4c57574d59f7.jpg

I don't know what causes this, but all my premium plastic Prodigy discs look like this now. None of my other brands.

This will happen to any Champion if the disc is not still slick after washing and is grippy or becomes grippy over time like a few I have that got the hot car treatment/out in the sun. Also some Discraft Z will do the same if the grippy or becomes grippy over time.

This is not unique to just Jolly Launcher Champion but due to how clear and smooth the plastic is, the disc will get fingerprinted sooner as it is easier to see. Most Champion/Z like plastics get this to them.

I don't know what causes this, but all my premium plastic Prodigy discs look like this now. None of my other brands.

It is almost all brands clear Champion/Z like plastics will have this, it is only if the plastic keeps getting stiffer the more you do this like some runs of old Champion Edition does one need to worry about the disc shattering for no reason. I have seen this with Innova CE, some rare Jolly Launcher that was sold as limited run Jolly Launcher with the DX stamp minus the DX designation, and the CryZtal older limited run for a few that came out right at max stiffness for PDGA rules.

I have seen these Shatter when players had the discs in bag not using the discs at the time and weather/humidity changed and these discs shattered split in the bag. More often it is the CE in specific runs, namely the low/no color star logo version of CE doing this not the early Champion that said this or the later color CE with same logo as the earliest runs, and a CryZtal Z from one of the limited Ledgestone Insurance opens that the Wasp or Buzzz in 2000's was made for had some that were really stiff and kept getting stiffer till they cracked. They were not on my card but at spots I could see them, close other holes and the discs made a pop or plastic tarring sound like one ripping #1-#2 plastics.

It's the oil leaching out of the plastic.

It means it's slowly breaking down.

This is correct. Really old champion plastic does this, and it becomes suuuupper grippy and suuuper nice. Unfortunately though, plastic doesn't last forever. :(

This is correct. Really old champion plastic does this, and it becomes suuuupper grippy and suuuper nice. Unfortunately though, plastic doesn't last forever. :(

This is true or I would still have my slightly gummy Champion Valkyrie and plastic would have not worn down to the point the wing was the same width as the wing on a Dragon. Of course that disc was over 10 years old at the time It got retired in 2017, as I got the mold in 2005.

It's the oil leaching out of the plastic.

It means it's slowly breaking down.

Nice. Luckily it was like 8 or 9 bucks. I'm assuming I still have at least a year of throwing it before it shatters on a live oak

Nice. Luckily it was like 8 or 9 bucks. I'm assuming I still have at least a year of throwing it before it shatters on a live oak

Avoid using it in really cold rounds, and you should have no issue. I've crushed some old plastic into trees countless times and they hold up...just not really in the winter time. If you're not throwing that 350' or farther you'll be good for years to come (most likely).

Avoid using it in really cold rounds, and you should have no issue. I've crushed some old plastic into trees countless times and they hold up...just not really in the winter time. If you're not throwing that 350' or farther you'll be good for years to come (most likely).

Nice appreciate the advice. Not many could rounds here in Austin. Tested this thing out today and I hope it last for years, it's so dead straight and glides forever.

oxidation. it happens to all plastic, ive had newer discs from the last few years begin to oxidize but its mostly common with older plastic and in champion type plastics. if its old and smells like crayons, its getting close to breaking but it also doesnt need to be cold to break, ive broken many down here in tx where it wasnt below 50.

Latest posts