• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should I work on?

Discdude1414

I am a pretty new player. I have been playing pretty often for about 7 months. I consider myself alright, I usually score around a +4 from the short tees at my local course. What should I work on the most? What is going to help me out the most and drop my score?

Learn the fundamentals without an x-step. Video yourself and review your throws against the top players. What is different? Look at their angles (feet, hips, spine, shoulders, chin). Try to mimic their form. Throwing field work in a formal way - 50', 100', 150', 200' putter shots hyzer, flat and anhyzer. Take notes on the accuracy of each round of shots... what can you expect out of 10 shots thrown anhyzer from 200'? How about on a hyzer release?

Putt everyday for two 15 minute sessions, with a 10 minute rest between them. Putt from a distance where you're making the vast majority (90% +).

Honestly, playing casual rounds is never going to improve your skill-set like formal practice will. You'll spend much more time walking around a park, looking for discs, and chatting with friends than throwing.

Minimize your disc selection and learn 1 putter, 1 neutral mid (comet, mako, etc). When you're throwing your mid 300' from a 1-step - then you're in great shape to add a fairway driver. Zero flutter out of the hand.

If you want to have fun with discgolf, then by all means - enjoy playing casual rounds and the true joy that the game brings to the table. I very much enjoy that aspect... but if you really want to treat it like "I want to be the best that I can be" - then it's a different story.

Most of the players in this sub know the torture that is regular fieldwork to try to perfect form. It will leave you miserable and frustrated, but we're not trying to be good... we're trying to develop the gold standard. Don't expect anybody to sugar coat critiques... SW22 still tells me like it is, even though we're BFF now. :)

Welcome.

Bomber has the basics.

Go get a lesson from a pro. It is well worth the money if you want to improve quickly. Without form correction, flaws easily become habit and are so much more difficult to change after the muscle memory has been created and reinforced.

Throw'em long.

Oh yeah almost forgot, putt, putt, putt, putt, putt, putt. And putt some more.

Last edited:

Latest posts