• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would you keep in my bag?

pecosROB

Birdie Member
Trying to keep my discs to a minimum, at least until it warms up and I feel the need to buy a GRIP or something that can carry drinks, towels, etc. Just using a NutSac. Discs in bold are preferred (for whatever reason, logical or stupid notwithstanding). I really like playing RHFH but know the importance of a good RHBH (or LHFR/LHBH for you lefties). And please go easy on me, I'm a noob but trying to get better (that's why I'm here).

- Innova Gstar Daedalus 166g - love the thick rim for forehands and my only ace was with this disc, RHBH at that.
- Westside Moonshine King 173g - see above
- Innova Gstar Teebird3 169g - again, for forehands, gave my wife my Champion Teebird
- Lat Opto Fury 170g - RHBH
- Lat TM River 168g - just got it used and throwing it around, no opinion yet
- Lat Opto Diamond 149g - I can't throw this for some reason, I feel like I'm throwing it too hard or something because it just turns and falls straight down when I throw it lol. Probably removing this from my bag.
- Innova Champion Mako3 180g - rollers
- Innova Champion Shark3 176g - just bought it today actually
- Lat Opto Claymore 170g - RHBH new to me, I love throwing it
- Innova R Pro Aviar 175g - I have a Lat 64 Mercy 174g zero hard on order coming to me next week which will replace this. Thinking about getting a really soft putter too for approaches.

And yes, I stuffed 10 discs in a NutSac 2 (but it won't snap close lol).

I have read that a good RHFH disc is as Flick. Any other suggestions? I also have seen X-Cal. I would have commented on that thread but it was fairly old and don't know how much people care about zombie threads. Any suggestions?

And pics, because, the internet.

Attachments

• phpWEYOhRPM.jpg
    phpWEYOhRPM.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 44
How far are you throwing putters/mids/drivers?

Drop the diamond. It's meant to be a super noodle arm disc. It's pretty cool, and can do some fun stuff but it's a little too understable to be a go to disc.

I would avoid relying on super overstable discs like the Flick/Xcal for forehands. Many people who throw phenomenal forehands use them, but when you are learning it's best to rely on something that won't mask all your form flaws like a Flick will. You should have something overstable in your bag, but don't rely on it for every forehand if you want to have half decent technique.

We can give you better advice once you give us distances for forehand and backhand.

Definitely stay away from the Flick and Xcal. The flick is a meathook utility disc, but I've seen people bomb with it in 150class. Xcal for me is unpredictable, <350' and it has good HSS and fades out, >350' or into wind and it flips uncontrollably.

I'd go with the King for max d, teebird for a control driver, and either the claymore or shark3 for a mid, whichever feels better to you. All of those discs you should be able to FH or BH easily with a clean throw.

The River you should def practice more with, has tons of glide and can get crazy distance in a tailwind. Don't even think about throwing it into a headwind though unless you want a roller :)

It seems like most of your discs are mid-stable to understable. Without knowing how far you throw it's hard to make a good recommendation, but I think a firebird or FL, OLF, Predator, Trident, or XXX would be a good overstable addition to your bag to fight headwinds.

Thanks for the posts guys. I'm pretty inconsistent but my RHBH drives are now 250-300+ and my mids are 150-200+, but I haven't tried to launch a mid as hard as I can. My RHFH drives are probably around 200 feet. Trying to work on consistency and technique before going for distance.

I will probably have my wife use the Diamond. I have mostly understable discs because when I first started it seemed like they were the most user friendly for beginners. Now I understand why you need a range and I wanted something more overstable than the Teebird 3 (8/4/0/2). I was thinking maybe a Saint Pro or maybe even a Blitz... even though that's a 12 speed disc. :D I have defintely been looking at the XXX.

I would avoid relying on super overstable discs like the Flick/Xcal for forehands. Many people who throw phenomenal forehands use them, but when you are learning it's best to rely on something that won't mask all your form flaws like a Flick will. You should have something overstable in your bag, but don't rely on it for every forehand if you want to have half decent technique.

This rings very true. A lot of those discs are super fast for a beginner. I would primarily throw the Teebird (Saint Pro can replace this if you get the Trilogy itch) and Fury as main drivers (FH and BH) and I'd go with Mako3 (learn this BH, should punish bad form) and the Claymore as your main approach discs (nothing against the Shark3, just balancing out your bag while trying to remain minimal). Settle on a putter and learn it inside and out. Now, you can carry the Daedalus and King for funsies but try and use them sparingly, for wide open, bomber holes. You'll get the hang of discs this fast a lot sooner if you learn how to stretch the putters, mids and slow drivers out for good distance; it all translates.

XXX is cool as an overstable utility driver and headwind slayer but it's really beefy. You could use one, just don't get too reliant on it.

This rings very true. A lot of those discs are super fast for a beginner. I would primarily throw the Teebird (Saint Pro can replace this if you get the Trilogy itch) and Fury as main drivers (FH and BH) and I'd go with Mako3 (learn this BH, should punish bad form) and the Claymore as your main approach discs (nothing against the Shark3, just balancing out your bag while trying to remain minimal). Settle on a putter and learn it inside and out. Now, you can carry the Daedalus and King for funsies but try and use them sparingly, for wide open, bomber holes. You'll get the hang of discs this fast a lot sooner if you learn how to stretch the putters, mids and slow drivers out for good distance; it all translates.

XXX is cool as an overstable utility driver and headwind slayer but it's really beefy. You could use one, just don't get too reliant on it.

Sweet, thanks for the tips! You are definitely right about the Mako3 punishing bad form!

Ditched the River and decided my next purchase will be an XXX. Can't decide if I want Opto or GL. I want the grip of GL but apparently for an OS disc Opto would be better. I was thinking something over 170g.

Got to throw the River some today. I really like it and boy does it soar. Only thing is it's basically a slow version of my Daedalus with an even higher glide. I may swap the Teebird3 for the XXX to make room for the River though. I got to throw the Shark3 around some and think it will compliment the Claymore well. I'm starting to think I don't need the Mako3 since the Shark3 can roll and I feel the least comfortable throwing the Mako3 out of the three midrange discs I have. Aviar R-Pro will be swapped with a Mercy Zero Hard and eventually a soft Magnet.

So future bag:
Mercy | Magnet | Shark3 | Claymore | XXX | River | Fury | Daedalus | King

Last edited:
I wouldn't ditch the teebird for the XXX, both of those discs or similar types are needed for a solid bag. You might want to check out the Trident instead of the XXX too. It will fly straight farther before fading. Its taken me years to beat in an opto XXX to be straight then fade. New ones will start fading as soon as you let it go. I've heard the new runs are less stable though... So I dunno, all my latitude discs are first run.

I wouldn't ditch the teebird for the XXX, both of those discs or similar types are needed for a solid bag. You might want to check out the Trident instead of the XXX too. It will fly straight farther before fading. Its taken me years to beat in an opto XXX to be straight then fade. New ones will start fading as soon as you let it go. I've heard the new runs are less stable though... So I dunno, all my latitude discs are first run.

You really think I should keep a Teebird and a Teebird3? The only difference is the 3 is slightly faster with lower glide. Plus I throw the 3 better forehand than the TB. I only want to replace the TB because I rarely use it due to having a TB3 and figured something more overstable than a TB would be better in a strong headwind.

I wish I was able to toss plastic that far, but I'm trying to practice a little each day. I am trying to learn the game with a bare minimal of extra disc to lug around. I bought one of the small NutSac bags, 6 disc max, but right now 4 is what I'm trying to learn with. Change as I learn to throw them and improve in how they should be thrown.
Just my 2 copper disc

I didn't realize you had the T and T3, I've never thrown a T3 but I'm sure either can fit that neutral control driver slot for shaping any line you need. I use my Strikers for that, but everyone throws a bit different so certain discs work better with different people.

I'd say pick up an opto XXX and Trident. The XXX is a straight meethook until you beat it up, but it's also the best tommy/thumber/FH roller disc out there. The Trident will fly like a broken in XXX, it'll fly straight far before the heavy fade, and is also excellent at overhand and FH rollers. My max D in the air is 350' with a 160g SOLF, but I can FH roll the XXX the same distance on hard ground :)

I actually bought a XXX and Trident, both in gold line. Onto XXX might be better off for me. Swapped out an Archon for a PD freak (10/4/0/3).

Traded the XXX for another Trident. Love them. Absolutely LOVE the PD. Best purchase I have made. I love the Vision and found the legendary Wizard as a putter (got 2). Went back to the Teebird and can't believe I ever left. Got a champion dyed and star.

Right now I'm mainly throwing Teebird, Trident, PD, Core, and either Leopard, vision, or TD for my understable driver. Mercy and Wizard for putters.

wizard

trident

leopard

teebird

PD

I think you should hold the theory craft and dumb down the bag further. I think that you could even substitute the leo for a worn DX bird.

wizard

trident

leopard

teebird

PD

I think you should hold the theory craft and dumb down the bag further. I think that you could even substitute the leo for a worn DX bird.

Those are pretty much my go to discs currently. Except I'm using my newly acquired Vision - throws like a laser for me. Probably will replace the Leopard on your list but you pretty much nailed it. :hfive: