• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When do you NEED to be throwing a driver.

attik34

Birdie Member
Through some experimenting with discing down, I've created some questions for myself. A big one, is at what distance do you break into the, "I need a high speed driver."

I know you can like....do crazy stuff, and make rocs go 3 miles...w/e

I'm talking, at what with a mostly flat direct like, distance wise is it beneficial to start looking into the Destroyerish speed discs?

I would say 325-350 ft with a fairway.

It is more of a risk/reward decision than a pure distance threshold. In short, it is when the extra distance with the high speed driver is worth the control you lose. On a long wide open hole, the extra distance is worth the risk since you can't get in a lot of trouble. However, if the hole is long and tight with punishing rough, the risk of an errant shot is too high and the extra distance is not worth it.

Unless it is a hole that is over 400 feet and almost completely open I will stick with my fairways, usually an F3. I max out with my fairways at about 375 and can get my distance drivers, usually a D3, out to just over 400 if I have the room, but most of the time it's not worth the loss of control to get the extra 20-30 feet.

It was really nice the other day when I managed to park a 420 foot hole with my D3, though. About lost my **** when I saw myself do it :p

Through some experimenting with discing down, I've created some questions for myself. A big one, is at what distance do you break into the, "I need a high speed driver."

I know you can like....do crazy stuff, and make rocs go 3 miles...w/e

I'm talking, at what with a mostly flat direct like, distance wise is it beneficial to start looking into the Destroyerish speed discs?

Experiment long enough and you will find your risk-reward ratio on higher speeds as well as where your average max D caps out. Don't get lured in by the occassional long-bomber park job. For most rec players, that's b/t a speed 7-10, max weight, in something solid stable. For me, a max weight speed 10 and a 150 class speed 11 are equal on my average max D with the lighter speed 11 being a bit easier on my body since I carry three different stability ranges in it and carrying your bag is part of the process, not to mention ease of throwing. The max weight speed 10's give me a bit more reliability on HHS so it just depends on if I'm playing for fun or for 'money' as to which I carry.

Depends on how far you throw. If I need precision, I'll use a midrange or even a putter for anything under 200. For anything between 200-300 I'm using the fairway driver. 300+ I'm using a real driver unless it is really important to land with precision, in which case I'll stick with the fairway driver rather than risk skipping off the fairway down a cliff or some ****.

Also, my average max D is not the max D of the disc. I regularly play with a guy who gets his speed 10 (Beast) out to an average of 450' which is 60' further than my average and I'm pretty sure there are a handful of pros that could out distance my friend by another 60'. My friend doesn't carry anything faster even though he could get some additional distance because he values the average accuracy over his average distance and I get the feeling that when you're into the really high speeds, it gets significantly tricker to control for each speed increase.

Hence why so many pros average max D with accuracy is with a Destoyer-ish disc. I don't know of many pros who throw speed 13 solid stable or any pros who throw speed 14 solid stable which sort of tells you something about risk-reward.

Speaking mostly from what I have read on DGCR and not my own embarrassingly bad BH I think somewhere in the 350+ range is the general consensus of where you may want to switch from a fairway driver to a distance driver.

The answer is really simple. You need a high speed driver when you want to achieve a distance that you cannot reach with the discs you have. There really is no magical distance threshold for when you should be using a "distance" driver versus a "fairway" driver.

As a noodle armed old guy... against a strong wind or when you want it to hook and skip.

Be smart and win. Use the right disc at the right time.

The answer is really simple. You need a high speed driver when you want to achieve a distance that you cannot reach with the discs you have. There really is no magical distance threshold for when you should be using a "distance" driver versus a "fairway" driver.

Quoted for truth.

I will also pull out a fairway driver instead of a mid when I need to keep the shot low, even though the distance might not warrant a FW.

I will also pull out a fairway driver instead of a mid when I need to keep the shot low, even though the distance might not warrant a FW.

same but typically i use something that is more on the understable side so it flies straight and doesnt fade hard, but that kinda goes without saying.

also like whoever else said there is no magical theshold. however there is nothing better than bombing my speed 9 drivers past someone elses destroyers. that typically doesnt happen often though since i have a noddle arm. but when it does it always satisfying

It depends on how much room i have. Open field or gentle hyzer, i wait till about 360 for my 9 speed drivers, i could still throw the teebird, but 65% driver is sometimes more controlled than 90% fairway. Or higher with a headwind. Low ceiling shots i sometimes need them sooner. If you are talking destroyers though, you probably shouldnt throw them unless you can bomb a mid range in the 350 range, besides for big hyzers or skip shots. My longest recorded throw is 515 with a max weight katana, i average around 450 in field practice and about 400 with pretty good accuracy. I still dont feel that i have the power to throw a destroyer properly. I still only use it for skip shots, anny flex shots, or headwind. The destroyer is a beast of a disc. Or you can grab a blizzard disc and you are good to use one in the 350 range.

To me it's not a distance threshold but rather the amount of control I can have on disc at a certain distance. I throw my predator and destroyer in the 320-375' range but will throw them on holes that are 250-300' if I need a sharp hyzer because I can throw them more softly for accuracy, and still get the distance I need, opposed to throwing a zone or a wasp at full strength. Accuracy nearly always trumps distance.

Driver is just a type of disc. You can throw them as short as you want or as far as you possibly can, just like any other disc. Use whatever disc it takes to put you closest to the pin. I used a Firebird on a 100' layup today because I needed a skip.

Remember what the object of the game is and use whatever disc is going to be your best option for getting the job done. There are no magical distances as not everyone has the same arm on them.

I know a guy who gets down on one knee and flicks a katana for almost all of his short upshots. He is amazingly accurate with it. He also putts with a Prodigy M1. He's a grandmaster and is rated 925, so he's definitely no slouch.

My point is, go with whatever disc makes you feel the most comfortable in any given situation.