• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which disc retriever to use

With the Disc Gator, do you find the standard 5' pole adequate or is the double pole, 10' really needed?

I believe the Golden Retriever to be the most useless part of my bag. Even in winter I rather wade into the half frozen river than spend 22 minutes throwing a piece of crap triangle at it. The Gator is 100000000x better. Plus I can use a gator with low hanging trees around without getting it stuck in the tree.

I thought the Golden Retriever looked like a good idea but I wasn't going to spend $25+ for it. I went to HD and got a ¼" metal rod and bent it into a square with a bench vise. I used the sides of a coat hanger to fashion the line hooks and tied a snap ring hook to a 50' nylon rope. Total about 1 hour of time and less than $3.

I also have a Stanley FatMax. It's worth every penny.

Can you post a picture of your home made disc retriever? I've been thinking of making something similar or maybe a lake rake.

Generally, if my disc goes in the water I can get it with a large stick, but if I can't I'm not afraid to get wet. I was playing a few weeks ago and overshot the basket and landed in the water. I was on hole 14 and didn't have time to fish it out before work. So the next day I went out and got a huge stick. When I got back to where my disc was I ended up saying "f-it" and just went in the water to get it. It was damn near freezing, but well worth it and only took 2 minutes. Trojan DGC is the only place I won't go in to get my disc. That radioactive water is so nasty, dark and instantly drops off. Lost many-a-disc there :(

For me it's an obvious choice, the disc gator by a mile. It excels at high places, like the common shot that finds a tree branch and decides to rest there wedged in nicely and the hard to reach places, like the stream or in a thicket of shrubbery that may have prickly thorns or even the creek with vegetation growth.

You can get those adjustable poles at Lowe's or Home Depot. They have them in all sizes. I saw one at Lowe's that extended to 23 feet. The only problem with some of them is that they are long and can be a pain to carry, unless you have a caddy or an unbeknownst friend tagging along.

Disc gator seems legit. Would have loved to have had it with me last weekend.

Gator for the close stuff. I have a Golden Retriever thats works just fine for the real far off stuff. Takes a bite of practice to master.

It depends on the nature of the hazards you're likely to encounter where you play.

This is the key.

On the courses I play regularly, it's mostly small water where finding sticks works, but there's one serious pond where a golden retriever is the only baggable device that has a chance. I've had reasonable success with blind throws, and patience.

disc retreivers

I have both the disc dog and the golden retriever. both have separate advantages. the retriever has 50' of string so you can get out into the water quite a ways. the dog has a nice retractable pole. I carry both with me and have used them when the situation warrants. the gator looks like it would work with the automatic closing action

Latest posts