• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Practice Putting

TonLocVT

Par Member
After reading this article about putting in the snow:

https://www.dgputtheads.com/winter-disc-golf-putting

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding practice putting in the cold and snow? My range drops off significantly at about 25 feet, when it felt a lot more effortless during the Summer.

I'm doing 100 putts a day, but I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good. Does it make sense to build muscle memory in conditions you won't be experiencing during the season? I'm hoping this translates to easier putting once it warms up.

Practicing indoors isn't an option.

I'm doing 100 putts a day, but I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm than good. Does it make sense to build muscle memory in conditions you won't be experiencing during the season?

I have this belief, and maybe its just wishful thinking and people can be more than open to disagree with me on this, but that there's no such thing as a waste of time when it comes to putting practice. Even if you putt with trash form and miss half of your putts every single putt trains your hand-eye coordination and aim--even if you end up changing styles.

In terms of conditions then by your logic practicing putting in the wind is bad practice because you have to change your approach/style when putting in a 20mph headwind vs calm conditions. Which we know is not true. If anything I think putting in different conditions makes you a more robust player. just my two cents.

I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding practice putting in the cold and snow? My range drops off significantly at about 25 feet, when it felt a lot more effortless during the Summer.

In ball golf and disc golf as well as other sports with flying objects.

Things don't go far in the cold.

Though, if you want them to go far, you warm them up then take them into the cold.

Hitting hot golf balls in cold weather is really fun. hahaha they go farrrrr.

Biggest problem I ran into with outdoor winter putting practice was the cold and wet/snowy discs messed up my release point. This was early on in my development when I was still a terrible putter and I did not yet have a consistent release point so the constant misses from inside 15 feet then completely crushed my mental game, even once the snow was gone. I live in Canada though so perhaps the conditions I was practicing in were different compared to yours?

In ball golf and disc golf as well as other sports with flying objects.

Things don't go far in the cold.

Though, if you want them to go far, you warm them up then take them into the cold.

Hitting hot golf balls in cold weather is really fun. hahaha they go farrrrr.

Lol.....NO,NO,NO! Taking warm discs out into the snow is a disaster. The warm discs collect snow. Keeping your discs in the car in the winter, is a primary tenet of winter golf, in much of the country.

Trust me....several layer of clothing, sketchy footing, standstill throwing and an old cold body are still distance killers, even with hot discs. :eek:...........:p

For me it has been really no problem practicing putting now during the winter. My procedure has been around 30min warmup pushing around our daugther to sleep by then the blood is pumping and I dont get cold from the discs....yes the discs should be outside for a while to become cold so snow dont freeze on them.

Sure a thicker jacket is a little different but I find that down jackets are quite agile. Theese 20min daily sessions has done wonders with my consistency.

Also I usually gameify it by saying I need to make 6/6 from a certain range before I can go inside hehe

Latest posts