• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

12 year old 3 months in

There shouldn't be much more than 20-25% distance gap between a standstill and x-step. If you throw 300' with an x-step you should be able throw 240' from a standstill.

I can throw 225-240 standstill and 260-300 without. I was talking about the hit

Depends, it's a drill for attaining a snap feeling more so than a distance based result. I've found the closed shoulder drill to be more useful though.

Can you provide a link for the closed shoulder drill. The sweedish style just hurt my shoulder

Ive been practicing the dan beato hit driil alot recently, is there any other drills that will help distance because the sweedish style doesnt work for me and i feel like i am trying to hard

The Beto drill is not a swedish style drill, it's american style. There's really not many drills out there. There's the hammer drills(blake), right pec(beto/blake), and closed shoulder(brad). You definately shouldn't feel like you are trying too hard. You want to feel effortless, and the momentum of the disc will pull you into a balanced followthrough. Another hammer drill is swinging a real hammer. Pretend you are going to hit a nail out to the target, or throw the hammer. It's the same release of heavy momentum. Start slow and smooth and build acceleration through the hit. Use your body, gravity and momentum to move the arm/hammer back and forth.

The disc isn't properly aligned to your forearm so your swing planes are out of alignment. Change your grip so the back of the disc comes up and lines up to the forearm. The very first set of pics shows the issue:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Also when you do that pump forward with the elbow before the reachback you are lined up to throw/release to your right instead of straight toward the target, and you do that during the throw as well. The elbow should pump targetward with the shoulders closed, instead of shoulders open and elbow pumping to the right.

I think his disc alignment is fine during the actual pull. It's just off on the reach back. Good call on the elbow/shoulders though. The video itself is quick and from a funky angle so it's hard to tell.

I think his disc alignment is fine during the actual pull. It's just off on the reach back. Good call on the elbow/shoulders though. The video itself is quick and from a funky angle so it's hard to tell.
It's too blurry to actually tell during the throw, but I'm fairly sure the alignment is still off and doubt he is changing his grip/alignment during the throw. He's holding the disc in an extreme anhyzer plane in the reachback and finishing in a huge hyzer. Keep the disc and swing plane fairly level or hyzer.

It's too blurry to actually tell during the throw, but I'm fairly sure the alignment is still off and doubt he is changing his grip/alignment during the throw. He's holding the disc in an extreme anhyzer plane in the reachback and finishing in a huge hyzer. Keep the disc and swing plane fairly level or hyzer.

A lot of people do that. It's not necessarily great because it introduces another place for a mistake to occur, but if the timing is there then there is nothing wrong with it. I know when I pull back my disc gets almost vertical as if I'm throwing a sky roller but as I begin the pull it straightens out to the correct angle. I can't control it. Trying to keep it level only messes up my drive. Look at GG and Wysocki they do the same thing. They're not the only ones.

MJZ0oVN.png
aD86WZX.png

^this article was a big help for me. more or less just the thumb forward section, as most of the other concepts i already had down.

Bucha, it seems most of the video footage is not great for analysis. might i suggest doing a video, where the camera is up on a step ladder. a simple 6ftr will provide a range of heights for you to adjust the angle/focus for your height. also, put down a piece of wood or another long straight object like the closed shoulder snap. this will help you see whether you are pulling along a straight line without every having to submit footage.
another drill that can be helpful is the towel drill. somewhat underrated IMO.

A lot of people do that. It's not necessarily great because it introduces another place for a mistake to occur, but if the timing is there then there is nothing wrong with it. I know when I pull back my disc gets almost vertical as if I'm throwing a sky roller but as I begin the pull it straightens out to the correct angle. I can't control it. Trying to keep it level only messes up my drive. Look at GG and Wysocki they do the same thing. They're not the only ones.
I'm not saying some players don't do that, but it's generally not good to do that when you are still learning the basics. I like to recommend watching someone like Steve Brinster who is always on plane.

This is my grip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peYQeAK65kk&feature=youtu.be
Recently, i have been working on my form alot. im breaking the 300 barrier but want to get to 350. My goal this year is to get my rating up into the 900s. alot of the par threes at courses around me are in the 300-350 range and i think that i could really improve my score by adding that extra 20-35 feet of distance. help is greatly appreciated

You aren't getting your weight forward properly and it actually reverses. You also begin to pull to early before your weight transfers forward. You are leaning away too far(past good balanced posture) from the target in the reachback and get the disc back to it's furthest point too quick. When you get the disc back to soon that means you will start spending your torque early and also creates more drag going forward and a major loss of acceleration. When you lean away, your weight gets outside your posture and then you have to fight to get your weight forward toward the target, and either go too far forward or in your case you reverse it backward having to plant your rear foot again. You are getting close to a Markus Kallstrom/Ken Jarvis style form, but you will notice a difference in how they move/stride forward more upright/balanced in posture, the timing of the backswing and forward swing, and the rear foot drags forward/gets pulled forward instead of planting it again and finishing more balanced forward on the front foot.