• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds

BigE

Birdie Member
I am planning on attending this event. Any chance someone with some knowledge on the subject could link any videos of the courses to be used. I have looked but I don't have any knowledge of the area and it makes it hard with not knowing the tournaments or the course that they may use. Also any recommendations on central locations to stay besides the host hotel. I want to bring my family so if there is a place that is interesting to stay at please let me know:)

FYI I saw a old thread from 2012 so I thought maybe a new fresh thread was needed since things change so fast in the planning of a Pro Worlds.

I would like to know what courses will actually be used and by what divisions etc

Yeah, I would be curious as well. I was a little surprised to see Pittsburgh get worlds because it seemed they are light on courses.

I hope Deer Lakes and Moraine are used but Moraine is a bit of a drive.

Knob Hill, in my opinion, is one of the most overrated courses I have ever played. I was not impressed with that course at all but I think I am in the minority. I am sure that course will be used.

Besides those three, what else is Worlds Caliber in the area? Schenley Park is probably not Worlds Caliber so maybe some 9 hole courses will get upgraded.

Linbrook and 2 Mile Run are world class but only 9 holes. I believe Slippery Rock is going to be used which isn't far from Morraine. I like Knob Hill, but I can see some issues using it with some close fairways. Schenley would be tough logistics wise. It would be cool to see the Black Course used, but that's just too far.

He does kill it at the PFDO!

Slippery Rock has been upgraded to 18 holes.

Moraine, Slippery Rock, Deer Lakes & Knob Hill.

Knob Hill Pro Tees (fly pads) to C pins is a completely different course from White Tees (concrete) to either A or B pins. And not positive, but there may be added pin positions for Worlds if there is room for them at Knob.

Linbrook and 2 Mile Run are world class but only 9 holes. I believe Slippery Rock is going to be used which isn't far from Morraine. I like Knob Hill, but I can see some issues using it with some close fairways. Schenley would be tough logistics wise. It would be cool to see the Black Course used, but that's just too far.

So only 4 courses will be used for Worlds next year? I imagine it will be a smaller field then right? Knob Hill really bothered me with the overlapping fairways and close quarters.

The courses that will be used that I know of will be Deer Lakes, Moraine, Knob Hill, and Slippery Rock.

Slippery Rock was just redesigned and had all 18 pins installed a few weeks ago. Rumor has it that another course at a YMCA camp may be used for older divisions.

It would be awesome if Linbrook could get the other 9 holes in, but don't count on it.

The biggest problem fairways at Knob is hole 16 crossing hole 18s fairway is being played from the white tees. This wont be a problem as the blue tees will be played by all divisions (actually a shorter shot that the whites). For the most part, I don't see many problems with people throwing into other fairways except maybe hole 8 throwing into hole 7s. I guess a random shot could find its way into another fairway.

I would stay in the Cranberry Township area where the host hotel is. It is right near Knob, just off of the turnpike (76) to get to Deer Lakes, and just off of 79 to get to Moraine and Slippery Rock. The area has really exploded, so nearly all of the hotels are new. There are multiple extended stay hotels that just opened up that could allow for all the comforts of home.

Ricky has to be the favorite coming in since he has been playing these courses for 5 years now and is the two time defending champion of the PFDO.

The PFDO was an NT in 2011 with the top 5 of Anthon, Wysocki, Doss, Brinster, and Locastro. If I remember the layout correctly, rounds 1 and 2 were at Deer Lakes blues (63 SSA), round 3 was at Moraine golds (66 SSA), and round 4 was at Knob Hill whites (54 SSA).

Deer Lakes blues:

Knob Hill whites:

I can't seem to remember any videos at Moraine :(

Last edited:
Knob Hill blues definitely adds a stroke to the SSA on holes 3, 5, 8, and 14, so I would expect SSA would be between a 57 and 59.

Course records:

Knob Hill:
Blue Tees: 51 -- Nate Doss, 2010 Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open
White Tees: 47 -- Kyle Crabtree, 2006 Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open

Deer Lakes:
Blue Tees -- 52; David Feldberg, 2011 Scholl's Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open
White Tees -- 54; Tyler Horne, 2011 The Hunt at Deer Lakes
Red Tees -- 55; Marcus Ranii-Dropcho, Connor Kazmierczak, 2009 Pittsburgh Scholastic DG Series

Moraine:
Gold Tees: 55 -- Barry Schultz; 2009 Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open
Blue Tees: 52 -- Matt Orum; 2005 Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open
White Tees: 57 -- Brian Heider; 2008 Ironwood Open

Expecting to see most of these get crushed!

Have you played Slippery Rock since the expansion? I should be healed and able to handle throwing a round by Saturday, if you're not playing a tourney.

OMG there was so much bitching about those courses by the NT guys....I am not sure I will be able to take it again

Heh. One of the pros (I won't name names) said that he would never play Deer Lakes again because it was so unfair. I doubt he is going to miss worlds. :popcorn:

I think Knob is going to look quite a bit different. I believe that I heard that every dead tree is coming out for safety reasons. The emerald ash borer hit the area hard, so that could really open things up.

Latest posts