• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

Pro players only care about foot faults when it is intentionally being abused to get a better line on a putt/drive. Definitely something you see watched more in INT/Adv. Most pros respect when a good shot is made and aren't going to call being off a centimeter

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the CCDG videos. I know I'm a tad bit hard on Ian's vocal delivery (and no personal flame, or anything devious intended, just voicing my opinion!) but...Cory...wow....he has quickly moved to my top 3 disc golf commentators. His clear vocal delivery combined with astute knowledge of fairways, throws, etc, was very impressive in their world's coverage. Well done!

I'm almost certain Self-calls are no longer allowed.

I'm looking for the rule.....

Yeah, can't call a fault on yourself. They actually just discussed this on DGAM not too long ago. Its a fairly recent update to the rules, but its now a rule that you cannot call yourself. I think there was a problem with some players missing putts and then calling a fault on themselves in order to get another shot, which is not even close to the spirit of the rule or the game for that matter.

Is the reason because you can call it and essentially give yourself a mulligan?

Yes. Say you're in the circle and you throw a really wonky putt. You could've intentionally foot faulted before it reached the basket and gotten a 2nd shot at it. Not that a McBeth or Wysocki would ever do that. But it was legitimate loophole that some players would exploit once a round.

I encourage everyone to check out this vid (as Johnny also linked):

If you go to the 1:22:00 mark, that will set you up for Ricky's entrance. His interview goes almost to the end.

I've seen tons of Ricky off the course in interviews and other vids, and this is the man behind that stone cold competitor. He's easily one of the most likable players in the game. Kudos to Smashboxx for the format, because it made the interview that much more enjoyable. :thmbup:

Congrats again to Ricky and Paige, who I'll be tuning in for as well.
Yeah great interview with Ricky, first one I've seen. I guess it's hard to hate him now, he seems like a good dude. Just sucks when you're hoping to see McCray, Eagle or Simon break through and Ricky keeps slamming the door with those ridiculous long putts.

Hoping Paul can return to elite level too. He seemed really off.

Speaking of the round videos....come on Prodigy. Why am I waiting days longer to watch a round that finished like 4 hours before the Men's Division did?? You can't be that salty about Paige crushing it with DD hardware (I keed! I keed!)

Speaking of the round videos....come on Prodigy. Why am I waiting days longer to watch a round that finished like 4 hours before the Men's Division did?? You can't be that salty about Paige crushing it with DD hardware (I keed! I keed!)

I would give Marty a little break here. He is now a 2 camera production, so it takes a lot longer to assemble the footage. And he is really only a single man operation when it comes to editing. I don't think that his wife (who was on catch cam) is an editor at all from what I recall. CCDG & Jomez have at least 2 editors that can hammer out that stuff with graphics (and don't sleep).

Really enjoyed the CCDG videos. I know I'm a tad bit hard on Ian's vocal delivery (and no personal flame, or anything devious intended, just voicing my opinion!) but...Cory...wow....he has quickly moved to my top 3 disc golf commentators. His clear vocal delivery combined with astute knowledge of fairways, throws, etc, was very impressive in their world's coverage. Well done!
They sound like pro announcers to me, as good as anyone you'd hear covering the major sports on TV. We're definitely spoiled with the level of coverage we get. Those crews bust their asses out there.

Yeah! Shame on McBeth for a 2nd place finish...
Point taken, but he was otherworldly and Ricky has overtaken him as best in the world. Sucks that expectations are that high, and possibly unfair. But I want to see him be that crazy dominant 2015 version again.

Yeah! Shame on McBeth for a 2nd place finish...

Wellll..... it took a stellar 4th round to jump up to 2nd place from the chase card (and somewhat pedestrian rounds from everyone that was ahead of him not named Wysocki).

I think it was pretty obvious for the first 3 rounds that he was missing lines and putts that are not the norm for him.

Of course, the more interesting thing is when you think about how big an 8 stroke victory seems, and then consider how little tweaking McBeth would've needed to shave 3 strokes off his first 3 rounds. Now the outcome down the stretch is very different. It just shows how close even "slightly off McBeth" still is to greatness.

Here's how the competition unfolded for the top four finishers. When the line is going up (from left to right), they are playing better than their rating. When it's going down, well, can you find Simon's 7?

attachment.php

Attachments

• WorldsRace.png
    WorldsRace.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 158
Is the reason because you can call it and essentially give yourself a mulligan?

As the rules are written now, yes. Here's where it really gets stupid, though.

The rule used to say that stance violations could be called by anyone in the group (including the thrower). That call had to be seconded by another member of the group before the call would stand though, whether it was the first violation (warning/re-throw) or a subsequent violation (penalty/re-throw). So in order for the thrower to "give himself a mulligan", he had to not only call himself for it, but he would need either a) intentionally fault so as to draw the second from a groupmate or b) have a co-conspirator in the group to second a fake call of a perfectly legal stance/throw.

Guess how often this sort of thing actually happened to prompt the rule change to what we have now? NEVER. It never happened. It was all a figment of people's wild imaginations of how the rule might possibly be abused but never actually was. The rules were changed because enough people with crazy imaginations and no hard evidence raised enough of a stink to get the rules committee to do a re-write.

What makes it worse is that the way the rule is now is far more ripe for potential abuse. Instead of players having an opportunity to maybe stealing themselves a free mulligan in the most convoluted way possible, players have the opportunity to screw over each of their cardmates once per round with zero consequences or restrictions. According to our rules right now, the first called violation of a stance rule requires no second whatsoever to be a valid call (and the time limit on making a call has been removed as well). As such, there's nothing really stopping players from calling a foot fault on any player at any time whether a fault was actually committed or not. Oh, you just drained that 60 footer on hole 18 to win by one? No you didn't, because I say you foot faulted and I don't need a second to verify the call. You have to throw (and probably miss) that 60 footer again.

Dumbest rule change ever. Closed one perceived loophole by creating an even bigger one in its place.

I'm almost certain Self-calls are no longer allowed.

I'm looking for the rule.....

You can't call foot faults on yourself.

I don't believe you can call a penalty on yourself anymore. It was entirely up to the card.

Did not know that. I learned something today.

Apologies to Ricky, then. Still think the others should've called it; I understand why they didn't, but it's on video and it would've been the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Just wondering who would have come out on top if it have been the old Worlds format. A 8 or 10 round tournament would have been much more fun. Just doesn't feel like the Worlds of past. This years Worlds just seemed like a cookie cutter format.

I'll take quality over quantity. It wouldn't hurt if Worlds did something to differentiate itself from other tourneys on really quality courses (like the Beaver State Fling) but I don't want to see a player crowned for winning a marathon of deuce or die holes, **** that.

Latest posts