• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Discmania Open Presented by Discmania- DGPT Silver Series

TheCatsAreInCharge

Bogey Member
Starting the tournament thread a day early.

Registration, especially on the FPO side, is looking rough. Another questionable scheduling for a silver series event (with everyone focused on the following week's tournament) or is the PDGA registration list incomplete?

A limited field, but I am looking forward to it. I highly enjoyed the Canadian Nationals at Hillcrest Farms, I think it was - phenomenal course. A Houck course is tough to beat but I am still interested in how the course this weekend plays. Have my eyes on Eagle, Alden, Isaac, and Babcock. I could have sworn Ezra Robinson was set to play but now I don't see his name. Did he withdraw?

This New Hampshire A-tier was a bit more convenient for the Worlds competitors looking to compete on the weekend between Vermont and Massachusetts The Hollows Fall Classic Presented by Lone Star Discs

There is a Amateur-Masters event also that began today Discmania Open Pro Masters and Amateur Event. Not great scheduling but I assume Discmania wanted to try to get it on the DGPT for future years when Worlds won't be the weekend before.

3 rounds is short enough that the top rated players could get 'upset' by some of the lower rated young players if they don't start with a solid R1.

7 players FPO field?!? Strange to see that "Miss Frisbee" is not playing, rare chance to get two Silver series in a row. . .and she´s Canadian

I thought the same. Can only assume she is off to maple hill to practice.
She was not high enough in the DGPT standings to qualify for the MVP Open playoff event. She is registered for the USWDGC and Throw Pink WDGC in the Carolinas so maybe not much incentive to stay in the North East region.

Wow, who is that total newb broadcasting DGN with Earhart? I forget which hole, but the words "that's the girls' basket, not the men's--I mean the one the females throw to..." were heard. Now I'll never be confused with the most PC person out there but he even gave me the creeps...does NO one else have a passport?

Wow, who is that total newb broadcasting DGN with Earhart? I forget which hole, but the words "that's the girls' basket, not the men's--I mean the one the females throw to..." were heard. Now I'll never be confused with the most PC person out there but he even gave me the creeps...does NO one else have a passport?

Jim Oates. He is a highly ranked masters level player. He is very raw in the booth.

He is married to Juliana Korver for what that is worth.

He opened round one by saying "Welcome to the Dynamic Discs Open, I mean Discmania Open." Then follow with "Well I guess that is my first flub of the day..."

Brian's mic was off for the first 10 minutes and I thought there was an issue with my TV because there was complete silence.

Jim Oates. He is a highly ranked masters level player. He is very raw in the booth.

He is married to Juliana Korver for what that is worth.

He opened round one by saying "Welcome to the Dynamic Discs Open, I mean Discmania Open." Then follow with "Well I guess that is my first flub of the day..."

Brian's mic was off for the first 10 minutes and I thought there was an issue with my TV because there was complete silence.
Someone must have lost a bet to, or somehow owes JK a favor.

Will any of this tournament be played at Hillcrest?

If not, I wonder why not?
According to The Players Meeting newsletter:

"Designed by John Houck, Hillcrest Farm is the flagship course for Canada. But its owners weren't cooperative with the Tour or willing to convert to a Discmania-sponsored course."

Got crushed by a storm last year and still rebuilding I think.

That may be part of it. According to a recent course update (thanks @pmay5 ) Hillcrest is open and "very" playable except for a few blue tees.

According to The Players Meeting newsletter:

"Designed by John Houck, Hillcrest Farm is the flagship course for Canada. But its owners weren't cooperative with the Tour or willing to convert to a Discmania-sponsored course."

Oof. I realize that money pays for things, but it still makes me sad when an amazing course is bypassed for one that looks decidedly less amazing.