• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Discmania Open Presented by Discmania- DGPT Silver Series

Just hyzer after hyzer on repeat... just a missed (maybe overlooked is the better word) opportunity on what could have been a great playoff with two great players.
it's painfully obvious these 2 holes were for the spectators... I guess the (on-site) spectators got their moneys worth, but super boring film to watch.

it's painfully obvious these 2 holes were for the spectators... I guess the (on-site) spectators got their moneys worth, but super boring film to watch.

It also favored one style of play and one style of player.

According to The Players Meeting newsletter:

"Designed by John Houck, Hillcrest Farm is the flagship course for Canada. But its owners weren't cooperative with the Tour or willing to convert to a Discmania-sponsored course."
Too bad.
You'd think the owners would have found a way to make this work, to get that kind of exposure, because I hear it's a helluva great course.

It also favored one style of play and one style of player.
And yet it still took 6 holes and a barely in the hazard throw on the 6th to decide it (he even parked the shot from there).
Kind of made me wonder exactly what kind of course Isaac can't excel on...though wind still gives him problems--those with the power to throw one angle power hyzers will always have an advantage in the wind.

Seems like anything other than those 2 holes and Isaac probably would have won. The playoff hole choices were a joke though.

What spectators??? There were less than 100 people watching the playoff (probably around 80).

Too bad.
You'd think the owners would have found a way to make this work, to get that kind of exposure, because I hear it's a helluva great course.
Look, we have stayed quiet on this subject all year and so has the Best family, the owners of Hillcrest Farm. For now let's just leave it at this: don't believe everything you read.

Is there any post production vids from this event?

i wish you guys could see these in normal conditions. They are birdied at less than a 30% rate. StillI I agree we will change the playoff format

TD Pens 2023 Discmania Post-Mortem

Some of this reads a bit defensive and egoic to me but I think the idea of a public debrief like this is noble and the reflection on the course itself is worthwhile.
Oh I 100% agree some of this was written defensively. I was trying to be as honest as I could and I didn't think it would be as hard as it was on me. As for my ego that one is tougher. So much of this was soul crushing to me but at the same time it is exactly what can help me get better. I have devoted the last 10 years of my life to this game, it is my full time employment, and some of the things that happened to me this year honestly made me consider if I wanted to continue on this path. I was trying to express fully the range of emotions you go through when trying to make this happen. My main motivation was to elevate my community so they would know how lucky we are here. I am constantly looking for feedback so I can grow. I feel like I have a unique skill sets and I am prepared to devote more of my time to develop that. The people that criticize me, or support me are always going to be my teachers. Thank you for taking the time to read it and respond.

Hard to imagine a better playoff situation for Eagle than what was set up here.

Every professional disc golfer expects to land hyzers in a wide open fairway. TD of a demolished course probably needed camera-pretty playoff holes for sanity.

I wish they would have played that lightening bolt hole on repeat.