• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Pro Worlds - Smuggler's Notch

2 takeaways for me this weekend. The Kona experiment has to be a flop. There's no way she is generating $500k for DD. I could be wrong on that, but oof what a miss. The second is that Paul and Ricky may not win another World Title. There's too much spread in the MPO field now, and they are not getting younger. Ricky probably still is dealing with the Lyme aftermath, and Paul has had shoulder problems much of the year. Hope I'm wrong, but not seeing those 2 battle it out down the stretch is weird.

I think I'm just a relic of disc golf at this point. I was under the impression we are already miles ahead of where we used to be, companies can afford to have custom wrapped vans and production companies to film and edit to aDGLdvertise their pros. We went from rough it in the rain hobo disc golfer to high end 3 ac unit 10kw generator van dweller airbnb in like 15 years. What is the goal for an event like worlds vs where it is now?

I'm all for pros getting paid more money and actually paying spotters and other roles that shouldn't be volunteers but I think the compromise of trying to force it into being a spectator sport will take away from what could be in terms of the actual course being played which is why we're here. I'm also a big proponent of letting people sign waivers and lining up group b rally style if that's what they want.
Huge props for the Group B rally reference. (y)

rally GIF

Huge props for the Group B rally reference. (y)

rally GIF
A snapshot of the local winter Michigan, annual trek to stand on the side of the road, like an idoit. Not Group B, but a glimpse into the frosty party that rally can be.

Sorry for the thread drift, but at least I ain't talkin' about bacon.

If the business model is sports entertainment, probably going to need to figure out how to do both to be successful. If people pay money to be entertained or witness an event and they walk away feeling they did not get to witness said event, probably won't be coming back for more in the future.

She said in her interview with Brodie and Uli a few months ago (start at ~15 minutes in) that she wants to win European Open and European Championship, those are her two other big tournaments. Well, check and check. She's not really sure after her contract is up, and that whenever her "fire" fades away she'll find another outlet. Once she doesn't feel disc golf is fulfilling her anymore she'll step away.

Seems like the big goals are achieved. Maybe the pressure is off now. Maybe it's getting to 1000. Only she knows that.
Every single FPO player north of a 950 rating who even has a chance at the mythical 1000 rating wants it, regardless of what they're saying. At this point it's a huge deal, there have been all sorts of FPO world and major champions throughout the years, but nobody has gotten to 1000 yet. It's looking like neither Cat nor Paige will likely get there (and both are pretty far behind at this point), and Kristen being north of 30 years of age and that elbow not quite being 100%, I gotta think there is some fuel to that fire for the 1000 spot being a huge feather in the cap.

Anyone have any projections for where she will land rating wise next week?

Every single FPO player north of a 950 rating who even has a chance at the mythical 1000 rating wants it, regardless of what they're saying. At this point it's a huge deal, there have been all sorts of FPO world and major champions throughout the years, but nobody has gotten to 1000 yet. It's looking like neither Cat nor Paige will likely get there (and both are pretty far behind at this point), and Kristen being north of 30 years of age and that elbow not quite being 100%, I gotta think there is some fuel to that fire for the 1000 spot being a huge feather in the cap.

Anyone have any projections for where she will land rating wise next week?
997 if my rudimentary calculations are correct. Losing 16 rounds at 989, adding 8 rounds at 1010. Dropping EC Rd 4.

Here also are her rounds since DMC 2023, including all Worlds rounds now. She averaged 1006 at Worlds even though three rounds were below 1000 (975, 998, 986) and her trend is still positive. I don't have the full math but Biscoe's seems close. I think it's hard to clear the hurdle without an exceptional end of the year (but if anyone can do it...)

1694005392426.png

A snapshot of the local winter Michigan, annual trek to stand on the side of the road, like an idoit. Not Group B, but a glimpse into the frosty party that rally can be.

Sorry for the thread drift, but at least I ain't talkin' about bacon.

Looks a bit harder to get outta the way when one of those gets off the fairway. Those people standing near the turn are real thrill seekers

Thanks, but I'd rather get hit by a 175g disc.

Here also are her rounds since DMC 2023, including all Worlds rounds now. She averaged 1006 at Worlds even though three rounds were below 1000 (975, 998, 986) and her trend is still positive. I don't have the full math but Biscoe's seems close. I think it's hard to clear the hurdle without an exceptional end of the year (but if anyone can do it...)
There are a couple things that will have an effect- her last rated rounds of this year will fall on the 21st-24th of September. I think that means her somewhat subpar rounds from last year's Maple Hill (9/22-25) will stay on. (I doubt the PDGA subdivides rounds within one event.) If that is the case she would need to shoot roughly 1019 over her last 8 rounds of this year to get to 1000. I also do not know how the PDGA rounds to reach an integer in regard to rating. If everything above .5 goes up then she would need to shoot something more like 1016.

Weird that this August appears to be her first month ever going over 1000 just for the month. That would mean she can make it by simply shooting 1000 through next July.

If only two rounds of a 3-round event should be doubled weighted, the ratings process doubles your two higher rated rounds even if one of those was your first round in that event.

997 if my rudimentary calculations are correct. Losing 16 rounds at 989, adding 8 rounds at 1010. Dropping EC Rd 4.
She should be dropping 19 rounds and will be 998 rated by my calculations.

Edit: 997.49 rounded up to 998, from what I've seen PDGA rating seems to always be rounded up, even if it's 997.01.

Earlier somewhere in this thread, I promised $20 per ace to charity (probably going with DG Philippines) and $50 for an albatross. IIRC there were three aces? Ali Smith, Sexton, and one other?

Someone I know won a $100 bet.... because the other person quit early on Tattar getting to 1000 this year. The bet was that Tattar would reach 1000 during a 2023 update. The person betting on Tattar quit on the bet and handed over the $100 back in like June.

Could look like a real rash decision real soon. Maybe.

Earlier somewhere in this thread, I promised $20 per ace to charity (probably going with DG Philippines) and $50 for an albatross. IIRC there were three aces? Ali Smith, Sexton, and one other?
I thought there were more than 3 aces during Worlds.... Was this bet on any ace through the event or just some specific round or holes?

Lets see....
Evan Scott - Hole 15, R2
Nate Sexton - Hole 15, R2
Luke Humphries - Hole 16, R3
Kyle Moriarty - Hole 1, R3
Zach Nash - Hole 12, R3
AJ Carey - Hole 17, R4
Kody Larson - Hole 15, R4

Alex Von Stade - Hole 15, R3
Ali Smith - Hole 8, R4

Hope I didn't miss anybody, I just skimmed through UDiscLive for the green boxes. Dunno what color an albatross is, so no idea if I missed any of those.

She should be dropping 19 rounds and will be 998 rated by my calculations.

Edit: 997.49 rounded up to 998, from what I've seen PDGA rating seems to always be rounded up, even if it's 997.01.
I don't think Butler drops. The year time frame is from the last round, not the day of update AFAIK. If they round everything up then it will go to 998 anyway.