• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Pro Worlds - Smuggler's Notch

A lot of fun golf left. As much as I want to write off several candidates already, the top 30 is within 7 strokes. So you average little over 2 shots better than the top dog for the next 3 rounds and youre there... problem is, you have to worry about the 28 people in between too

In any case the time to get hot is growing thin. Friday is your day, you stragglers. Who cares about a course record final round that bumps you from 28th to 4th.

Hard to believe that Jomez taking on FPO coverage wasn't a massive misstep. Gatekeeper has two rounds of MPO coverage out on Youtube and Jomez has none.

Why did r2 run with the same cards as r1? I understand the weather delay, but why did that necessarily mean players could't get new tee times?

Why did r2 run with the same cards as r1? I understand the weather delay, but why did that necessarily mean players could't get new tee times?
So that they wouldn't have a player finish R1 poorly at say 8a and then go out as an early card for R2 at 10:30a.

So that they wouldn't have a player finish R1 poorly at say 8a and then go out as an early card for R2 at 10:30a.
Pretty much this. Take Barsby for example since he was in the final group- they restarted at 7:45 with a bunch (I forget where they were when they stopped) of holes to play. IHis eventual score from Rd 1 would have placed him at a fairly early tee time for Rd 2 (on a different course as well).

Pretty much this. Take Barsby for example since he was in the final group- they restarted at 7:45 with a bunch (I forget where they were when they stopped) of holes to play. IHis eventual score from Rd 1 would have placed him at a fairly early tee time for Rd 2 (on a different course as well).
In this case the distance between the first tees is only 300 feet, but yes, normally that would be a reason not to re-shuffle.

The tournament director couldn't publish the tee times the night before to give enough advanced warning for those that would be playing early. With the size & number of pools for Worlds the tournament organizers & PDGA opted to not shuffle and producing new cards/tee times.

At staggered start events with scheduled tee times, Tournament Directors must post tee times on the PDGA event page for all players in a given division no later than 12 hours prior to the first tee time for that division or one hour after the conclusion of play of the previous round for that division, whichever is later.

If the postponed round was R2 (where upon completion the pools would get reshuffled together) I think they would have gone ahead and given new tee times. Retaining the same cards from R1 into R2 is the most 'fair' competition option in terms of rest & downtime between rounds. It may be better to think of pool play R1 & 2 as kind of two halves of a 36 hole round when a postponement occurs.

It's related to following established policies and procedures for major level events as much as anything. Fundamental policy is to post tee times the day before so players & caddies can plan transportation (lots of ride sharing with players under 25 not able to get rental cars), plan warm-up routines and eating plans. Video teams know in advance when players will play. General guideline is to never move tee times earlier than posted, later is okay. And of course, give those early players a larger and the same break before they play again.

KT went 1034, 1039, then just 975-rated rounds so far. Couldn't watch today. Did it look like the expected variance, or was she struggling with something today?

Expected variance.
Statistically, maybe you're right, especially if we look at it appropriately.

But looking at it from the broadest top-down perspective.... Kristin Tattar had 19 birdies over 41 holes. And then she had a run of 0 birdies over 13 holes. (edit here: meant to say 13)

That doesn't FEEL like expected variance.

I get it - I was already kinda jarred by her EC performance, and I've said it looked like injury and not just nerves. So I'm a lil fixated on the possibility. But I guess we will see tomorrow if this continues.... this makes me feel, again, like there's some kind of injury she's choosing to avoid blaming. It feels like every event lately she's been falling off hard at the end.

Comparing the first two rounds to the later rounds recently...

European Championship: 1028.5 --> 943.5
European Open: 1017 --> 984
PCS Open: 984 --> 961
Preserve: 1004.5 --> 986 (this one cost her a W)

Des Moines in June was the last time she played as well after round 2 as she did during and prior. It COULD mostly be chalked up to taking the pedal off the gas, for sure. But EC still looked wild. And then there's this 13 hole (edit here meant to say 13) sample ringing the recency bias bell in my head that makes me try to find meaning in this shit.

It feels like the sort of thing resting during the week somewhat helps, but the grind of the rounds as the weekends go on wear it down.

Last edited:
Beats last years trophies.

Random belated q: Has anyone seen the supposed ACTUAL trophies that they received, but that were apparently too fragile for the post-round celebrations? On a podcast last year (Nick & Matt) - Paul said that they received a trophy that was glass and on a glass stand for their win.

Has anyone actually seen photos of those? Or heard much more?

I did a bunch of searching a few days ago, including through all of the PDGATour Flickr page postings for it (hundreds), and can't find a thing. If there was a really nice glass trophy, I don't get why it wouldn't have been promoted in any way at all.

Random belated q: Has anyone seen the supposed ACTUAL trophies that they received, but that were apparently too fragile for the post-round celebrations? On a podcast last year (Nick & Matt) - Paul said that they received a trophy that was glass and on a glass stand for their win.

Has anyone actually seen photos of those? Or heard much more?

I did a bunch of searching a few days ago, including through all of the PDGATour Flickr page postings for it (hundreds), and can't find a thing. If there was a really nice glass trophy, I don't get why it wouldn't have been promoted in any way at all.
I thought we saw a picture of it back then and it was okay--but, don't really recall for sure. Like you said, I know Paul said he got a different trophy for whatever reason in addition to the infamous plaque.

Latest posts