• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A professional disc golf tour run by professional disc golfers.

Professional competitive disc golf is in the best place it has ever been. The DGPT has elevated the sport for these touring players unlike any other DG tour ever has. Others have tried their best and failed. This is just the fourth year of the Pro Tour, and the number of traveling players has jumped year after year. As a fan, I cannot wait for such milestones as DGPT yr 10.

Sub par video coverage is such a small part of everything going on, yet unfortunately seems to get the most attention. Through hard, diligent work, Dodge has been instrumental in getting a sensible tour schedule mated with the National Tour, and he has found TDs that desire to run a top tier event with heaps more added cash than other events. Players see these things and keep showing up for his events. Let's follow their lead.

Sub par video coverage is such a small part of everything going on, yet unfortunately seems to get the most attention. ...

Without good video coverage, you're risking an awful lot. Compare it to major league sports (on a much smaller scale), far more people watch live video than actually attend the games.

IMO video coverage is the number one thing you have to get right to continue going forward.

People are still watching the Cavaliers (albeit in greatly reduced numbers) even though they stink. Same with the Knicks, year after year. If the overall video quality of those games was the same as the DGPT, fans would start watching home shopping club instead.

P The DGPT has elevated the sport for these touring players unlike any other DG tour ever has. Others have tried their best and failed.

PDGA NT Series?

I would say that elevated the sport like DG had never seen before and it hasn't come close to failing.

Sub par video coverage is such a small part of everything going on, yet unfortunately seems to get the most attention. Through hard, diligent work, Dodge has been instrumental in getting a sensible tour schedule mated with the National Tour, and he has found TDs that desire to run a top tier event with heaps more added cash than other events. Players see these things and keep showing up for his events. Let's follow their lead.

When the primary selling point of your tour to sponsors is video coverage that has been promised in Trumpian fashion it is no wonder it gets the most attention.

Without good video coverage, you're risking an awful lot. Compare it to major league sports (on a much smaller scale), far more people watch live video than actually attend the games.

IMO video coverage is the number one thing you have to get right to continue going forward.

If video coverage was Excellent, but the purse went from 10k to just 2.5k added, would all this talent be there to film?
Yes, a large, profitable fan base is the long term goal, and great video coverage will help reach that goal. But video isn't #1 right now, it's not paying the bills (sure could someday) Turn off the cameras, these are still the the best events taking place that weekend.

PDGA NT Series?

I would say that elevated the sport like DG had never seen before and it hasn't come close to failing.

Would you mind sharing how it has elevated the sport for those of us unaware of it's achievements?

Given that the NT is 17 years old, I am not familiar with how it has elevated the sport, but instead see it as the high end competative standard (which the DGPT seeks to reproduce, cred given to NT)

Just a couple years ago on film, top NT finishers said they didn't keep track of NT point standings. Up until the 2017 season, the season end payout was inconsequential to most players. Plus, the NT was hardly a tourable tour until the DGPT came along and everyone worked together to create a tour. While the NTs are prime time, their legacy feels more like a collection of the best events and less like a tour for the players.

If video coverage was Excellent, but the purse went from 10k to just 2.5k added, would all this talent be there to film?
Yes, a large, profitable fan base is the long term goal, and great video coverage will help reach that goal. But video isn't #1 right now, it's not paying the bills (sure could someday) Turn off the cameras, these are still the the best events taking place that weekend.

That said, the 2018 DGPT media package surely was a valuable asset Dodge used to sell the DGPT to TDs. Not so shiny rn...

That said, the 2018 DGPT media package surely was a valuable asset Dodge used to sell the DGPT to TDs. Not so shiny rn...

But was the 2018 media package inclusive of the next day post-produced videos in the first place? I'm not saying it wasn't, but Jomez and the like seemed to have an overreaching amount of control over the content of the post-produced videos, to the detriment of the event/tour sponsors. And that became a source of friction that may have led to what Dodge did this winter (though it may have been coming anyway).

Watch any of Jomez's coverage of DGPT events last year, especially early, and you'll see a theme that, if you were the title sponsor of one of those events, you would not be happy about. Lead card Memorial presented by Discraft coverage...brought to you by Innova. Lead card WACO presented by Dynamic Discs coverage....brought to you by Innova. Lead card Jonesboro presented by Prodiscus coverage...brought to you by Innova. Lead card Discraft Great Lakes Open coverage....brought to you by Innova. If I were Discraft or Dynamic or Prodiscus, I'd be a mite bit pissed about how little I was seeing my name on those videos. From what I understand, it came to a head at Ledgestone, where Discraft didn't want Jomez covering if they were going to splatter Innova logos and ads all over the videos.

Given that, I can understand DGPT being faced with the need to do one of two things...make more demands of the post-produced crews in terms of allowable sponsors on their videos and/or where the content gets released/hosted, or taking things in-house for total control. I think it's fair to criticize the hows of their plan, but the whys seem pretty obvious.

Would you mind sharing how it has elevated the sport for those of us unaware of it's achievements?

Given that the NT is 17 years old, I am not familiar with how it has elevated the sport, but instead see it as the high end competative standard (which the DGPT seeks to reproduce, cred given to NT)

Just a couple years ago on film, top NT finishers said they didn't keep track of NT point standings. Up until the 2017 season, the season end payout was inconsequential to most players. Plus, the NT was hardly a tourable tour until the DGPT came along and everyone worked together to create a tour. While the NTs are prime time, their legacy feels more like a collection of the best events and less like a tour for the players.

6 Grand for first place is absolutely not inconsequential.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38556

But yeah, the national tour was started to elevate the top events that players were playing regardless. The DGPT is a fantastic compliment to the NT and which is more important is an opinion.

My point was your comment was very much a "DGPT did something that disc golf has never done successfully" which is completely incorrect.

6 Grand for first place is absolutely not inconsequential.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/38556

But yeah, the national tour was started to elevate the top events that players were playing regardless. The DGPT is a fantastic compliment to the NT and which is more important is an opinion.

My point was your comment was very much a "DGPT did something that disc golf has never done successfully" which is completely incorrect.

Hmm, check out what I wrote once more. "Just a couple years ago on film, top NT finishers said they didn't keep track of NT point standings. Up until the 2017 season, the season end payout was inconsequential to most players."

Yes, starting in 2017, the NT found additional sponsorship to make the points race meaningful to players. In old interviews prior to 2017, players gave the impression that the NT was not viewed as a tour, but that a NT event would be a signature big win for the year.

My point remains that the DGPT has done something that no other tour has done successfully. Establish a legitimate cross country tour filled with quality events that players can build a schedule around before the season begins. The touring field is growing and becoming more competitive in response.

The NT has been successful in that it still exists and set a high bar for event production (with help from PDGA funds), but it wasn't a legitimate tour until the DGPT got with the PDGA for 2017+.

Establish a legitimate cross country tour filled with quality events that border / work around with the NT Schedule that players can build a schedule around before the season begins. The touring field is growing and becoming more competitive in response.

FTFY

So you agree that the DGPT is built around the NT schedule and works along side it, however the DGPT is the first tour to really become a travelving tour successfully?

I'm just not understanding.

What the DGPT did was great - it created more buzz around events that players likely would play anyway as they fit into the NT Schedule. If that's your point, got it. Dodge absolutely took advantage of an opportunity the PDGA created with the NT. But if your point that the DGPT has somehow revolutionized the touring game, when it's built 100% around another tour that's been around for 14 more years, I'm not seeing your point.

Remember that over the past 10 years or so the PDGA brought 3-4 events in each of around 8 regions into the NT realm. Events in each region would rotate so they had a year or two break to fund raise for their next turn in the NT circuit. While Dodge has done a great job acquiring new sites, several of his events were formerly occasional NT events that are conveniently in the same region where the NT is scheduled, making it easier to plug DGPT events to flow with the NT circuit. Not knocking it but just pointing out he did an excellent job planning his routing and schedule with NTs in mind.

Assuming, of course, that players want this, and want it bad enough to do anything about it.

Right now they're showing up for Dodge's events, and know that the others will cover, what, 5 times as many, anyway? They have plenty of coverage.

The touring schedule has been greatly improved in recent years, with coordination by the PDGA, DGPT, and (for a while) DGWT. It no longer flips back and forth across the country, and there are more big events to support them. What else would pros want---and would TDs change their schedules to suit? Could they?

I sense more hand-wringing over the current state of disc golf video, and wishful thinking that the pros might force a change in it.

This is a pretty salient point, imo. I've talked to a couple of the players the last couple weeks, and the vibe on the ground isn't demonstrably different from the past. The tournaments are running, the payouts are still coming in, and the schedule works. I don't know if players will be able to feel a major impact this early on, and it's a bit tough to pin down "lost exposure" on a personal brand via not having as much media coverage.

Remember that over the past 10 years or so the PDGA brought 3-4 events in each of around 8 regions into the NT realm. Events in each region would rotate so they had a year or two break to fund raise for their next turn in the NT circuit. While Dodge has done a great job acquiring new sites, several of his events were formerly occasional NT events that are conveniently in the same region where the NT is scheduled, making it easier to plug DGPT events to flow with the NT circuit. Not knocking it but just pointing out he did an excellent job planning his routing and schedule with NTs in mind.

Something else with regard to the regions that rotated events...those events weren't always at the same time of year. So the Midwest region event might be in June one year then August the next. There were definitely some significant gaps in the NT schedule in which most of the "touring" players scattered around rather than consistently following the same path. I can see what cjman is getting at with the DGPT helping to make a more cohesive tour geographically. Yes, it piggy-backs a bit on the NT, but on the other hand, the NT has become more consistent as well (less rotation) as the DGPT has allowed more events to elevate to "tour" level rather than being mere A-tiers that might pull in a handful of otherwise scattered touring players.

Just look at the 2014 NT/Pro Major schedule:
Date of last day of tournament, tournament, location
March 1, Memorial, Scottsdale AZ
March 23, Texas States, Round Rock TX
May 18, Masters Cup, Santa Cruz CA
June 7, Japan Open, Japan
June 22, KC Wide Open, Kansas City MO
July 6, Maple Hill Open, Leicester MA
July 20, European Masters, Sweden
August 3, Ft Steilacoom Open, Steilacoom WA
August 16, Pro Worlds, Portland OR
August 31, Hambrick Memorial, Columbus OH
Sept 7, Rochester Flying Disc Open, Rochester NY

Large gaps in the schedule (2 months between Texas and Masters), then a huge flurry of events every two weeks that criss-cross the country and a couple oceans...CA to Japan to KC to MA to Sweden to WA to OR to OH to NY. That was not conducive at all to successfully staying on the road for anyone but the folks at the very top of the game. Especially if they're trying to fill the gaps with an A or B tier where the payout might be barely above minimum standards and winning is required to do better than break even.

The strides the DGPT has made in filling gaps and forcing a better geographic path through the schedule (by locking into most of their events and dates), not to mention increasing the money, in just four years has resulted in a lot more players being able to stay on the road. Where there were once a dozen or so full time road warriors living hand to mouth, now we're talking 2-3 dozen traveling in a bit more comfort.

The strides the DGPT has made in filling gaps and forcing a better geographic path through the schedule (by locking into most of their events and dates), not to mention increasing the money, in just four years has resulted in a lot more players being able to stay on the road. Where there were once a dozen or so full time road warriors living hand to mouth, now we're talking 2-3 dozen traveling in a bit more comfort.

Not that I doubt you, can you give us some names?

Not that I doubt you, can you give us some names?

Do you want the names of the 24 to 36 pros on the road now, or the 12 pros that were on the road prior to DGPT in 2015?

Prior to 2014 or 15, the NT was a tour the same way the DGWT was a "tour". A series of events that were spread out and had no real good schedule between them. Sure, they were must hit events, if you lived in the area or were one of 15 touring pros.

Pros basically "found" A-tiers between stops... IF they decided to travel. And they usually split up as to have a better chance to continue funding their travels and not compete against each other.

To ever call the National Tour a "travelling tour" was a joke. They ran (and continue to run) great events. Even into the first year of the DGPT there was bitching about "the tour".
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1leSUmzwhwLpFKKQ2uqTWi5f32nU6d-No/view?usp=sharing

This list is from 2013, you know, about 15 years AFTER the NT started. Tell me how this tour makes ANY sense. It wasn't until the PDGA felt pressure from an actual competitor that they agreed to have a cohesive tour.

The PDGA & DGPT worked TOGETHER to make a tour. The DGPT didn't work "around" the PDGA. And to say that is just bull****.

Latest posts