• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Idlewild Open driven by Innova Discs & The Nati

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
DGPT - Idlewild Open 2018 - Disc Golf Pro Tour Stop #7 July 20-22

Driven by Innova Discs & The Nati Disc Golf

Made possible by the help and support of: GCFDA, PDGA Hall of Fame, Boone County Parks, Cincinnati Parks, Kenton County Parks and all our supporters.

The Infamous Idlewild DGC is back for more heartbreaking action as our top touring professionals battle the course and themselves on the hardest course on the tour. When it was first installed in 2001, it was extremely more difficult than it is today, only locals and a few travelers can admit to how ferocious it was in comparison. This year we continue to make more improvements and upgrades as we progress. You should see a difference with the loss of many Ash trees due to the EAB infestation that has plagued our areas courses.

This year we have added other divisions as a PDGA B-Tier. Only the MPO & FPO divisions are part of the DGPT. B-Tier players will play at Mt.Airy Forest and Lincoln Ridge due to the DGPT players being at Idlewild all 3 days. We hope that the other players will come and watch the Pro's or volunteer and take part in the festivities.

We have three local hotels you can check out and choose from or search elsewhere for the best deal for your needs. Camping will be allowed again in the park but contact your event staff for confirmation and space availability.

These 3 Hotels have reduced rates for this event, links will be on the Event Website page or call and mention the Idlewild Open: Country Inn, Comfort Inn, Hilton

Be sure to check out our vendors and festival games during your stay, tons of fun to be had by all.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tourn...Open_driven_by_Innova_Discs_and_The_Nati_2018
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/34293
https://www.facebook.com/events/210643313006822/

Last edited:
I'm playing the B-tier. Do you know if they're going to have tee times for the ams early enough that we can join the gallery for the pros afterward?
The B-tier is doing 1 shotgun round per day starting at 9am. You guys should be done before 1pm and with the lead card teeing off in the middle afternoon, you should have plenty of time to run over to Idlewild.:thmbup:

Local disc golf course action man Bill Alich has been doing most of the work out at Idlewild since before last year's event. Just a sample of the kind of tasks he's doing is this walkthrough of the necessary clearing of dead and dangerous trees on hole 14...

https://www.facebook.com/bill.alich/videos/1626516074064944/?t=4

...of course, I'm not certain the Cincy Disc Golfers Facebook page is an open group. If it's invite only and you can't see the video, my apologies, and maybe somebody more familiar with Facebook linking can help?

^thx Jeff. Yea you should be able to watch the vid. Once you start trying to do other things it might ask you to login, though...

I had Jeff post that to show you guys some of the transformation Idlewild is undergoing. That little bastard of a bug is destroying this area...

https://udisclive.com/live/idlewild2018?TournID=34293

Up to 95 players on the MPO side, 36 1000+ rated… and 18 on FPO including Cat and Paige. :thmbup:

I'm probably not gonna be able to volunteer this year. Got some family obligations that week. Might be able to get out for the final day...

Should have been posting pictures of all the work the park, Bill and all the rest have been doing out there. They recently filled in all the sinkholes on old no6. So they wont have to have the casual relief this year. Hopefully will be replacing a few of the saggy bridges before the event also. They have spread gravel around some of the trails between holes, rebuilt the stairs up to old no4 cut down and removed lots of dead trees and a bunch of other things I haven't seen or forgot about.

The place is looking great...

I was really hoping Sexton would play this year. It would be awesome to watch him carve his way around this course...:(

Last edited:
Well, MJ will be there. Is that as good as Sexton being there?

I am waiting for the WC to start and have too much time on my hands. Your post got me thinking about Nate MJ combos. MSexyJ... Sexy MJ... Sexy beards, Sexy in the woods.

Now that I've destroyed anything profitable coming out of this thread, my work is done.

From Bill on the local FB page...

Old 5, new 11, IO 7 tee moved back approximately 6ft today takes the over the top route out of the equation. I went down there with Travis to discuss possible ways of marking below the ceiling on the first shot mando. He just said why don't we just do this. "Dig everything out behind it to make room take the front half of the tee and move it to the back." Next thing I know they have a backhoe from public works down there and the skid steerer and they are having at it so I went back to gravel they don't need a babysitter they fixed 13's tee last year and short 3 this year says to me they're plenty capable. When they stole all my dense grade like they did yesterday I knew they were about done so I went to look and give Travis a hard time for stealing all my dense 2 days in a row. Looks good shot isn't there anymore. The area could use some more cosmetic work but they accomplished our goal. The sinkhole under that tee was so big and deep one of the seasonals climbed down in it and it was up to his shoulders.

I am waiting for the WC to start and have too much time on my hands. Your post got me thinking about Nate MJ combos. MSexyJ... Sexy MJ... Sexy beards, Sexy in the woods.

Now that I've destroyed anything profitable coming out of this thread, my work is done.

I think Big Hippie commentary would be pretty good.

*I know, Jerm instead of Sexton

Is the course set up for the tournament already? I am thinking of heading down to play it for the first time on sunday.

Is the course set up for the tournament already? I am thinking of heading down to play it for the first time on sunday.

The only real difference between normal everyday play and Open setup is the OB marking and the elevated baskets the DGPT adds. Just remember, all creeks are OB regardless of water and the island greens up against the steep hillside will have an OB line. The long open hole is OB off the fairway. The layout is kind of confusing since the renumbered the holes. 1-3, 7-9, 11-17, 19-22 and 24.

From the MJ and Comet Love thread:

Can we start a petition???

How about Sexy Hippie (Nate S and MJ) or Big Hippie (Jerm and MJ)?

Someone contact Jomez!!!!!!

Sexton wont be there and Koling is also signed up for an event overseas. So its possible neither one of them will be doing commentary.

"Hair club for men" commentary?... JC and MJ?...

Latest posts