• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Alien

Anyone else throwing these? I checked them out at my local shop today. They feel...surprisingly good. The Star plastic is starting to feel really good again, and with the thicker mid-range rim, it's way more comfortable than the Sonic. Just wondering who's throwing them and what sorts of shots you're using them for.

Anyone else throwing these? I checked them out at my local shop today. They feel...surprisingly good. The Star plastic is starting to feel really good again, and with the thicker mid-range rim, it's way more comfortable than the Sonic. Just wondering who's throwing them and what sorts of shots you're using them for.
I've tried mine a bunch, but I can't find a use for it. It's not glideless, but it has way lower glide than you think. It's not particularly fast out of the hand, and is crazy sensitive to any type of angle imperfections. It's not touchy, but it punishes an unclean release. Might be enjoyable for a one-disc round at a shorter course.

It's a cool gimmick, but I don't know anyone who needs a slow, glideless, straight-to-fade mid shaped like a Wham-O.

The only thing I'll use it for is to entice the old head Frisbee players like my dad or FIL to go and play a round.

I picked one up yesterday at my local shop, have not had a chance to test it yet but I'm hoping for something to use for longer Putts in the heavy woods on a few courses we play. The feel seems perfect for wooded areas and they say it takes a forehand well so in tight areas this might get called upon...only time will tell.

Got mine in star this weekend. Love the handfeel but yeah nothing particularly stands out about this disc. I will say the star one is shockingly stable. It seems slow and glideless but my distance with it was comparable to other stable mids. I'm very curious how it beats in.

I have one in nexus it works nice as a stable midrange. I have not had any issues with releases, I find it to be pretty reliable. I do not like it for forehand

I have one in nexus it works nice as a stable midrange. I have not had any issues with releases, I find it to be pretty reliable. I do not like it for forehand
That's weird because I actually love it for forehand. I can throw it way harder forehand than I can any of my Ghosts and the Alien just goes laser straight.

I go back to my original assertion that this thing is damned glideless though. Because it can take power and torque, but it just isn't going very far because there is no carry.

Great for low ceiling tunnel shots. Anything that has a ceiling lower then 30 feet I'm throwing this on slight hyper flip up to flat. Nexus is my jam, especially with winter coming up

Yikun had that stable-stable lid...the Claws...and that thing was awesome until it took a hard hit. This looks like it could fly similar to that, but perhaps farther. I mean I'm definitely buying a Star Alien, but this might be more gimmicky than useful
The claws is great, also sold as the Salient Lockjaw iirc, its like a polecat with rings of hendrick. Someone recently had a batch of glow claws that glow pretty good but the flight plate came out puddled and they fly like berg more than polecats. Big bummer, especially since I bought 2 at $25 a piece. . .
I never had an issue with claws/lockjaw breaking but I didn't throw em a ton.
At one point in time there was the dream of a DGR lid that would be polecat flight with rings of hendrick. I still think of it sometimes...

The claws is great, also sold as the Salient Lockjaw iirc, its like a polecat with rings of hendrick. Someone recently had a batch of glow claws that glow pretty good but the flight plate came out puddled and they fly like berg more than polecats. Big bummer, especially since I bought 2 at $25 a piece. . .
I never had an issue with claws/lockjaw breaking but I didn't throw em a ton.
At one point in time there was the dream of a DGR lid that would be polecat flight with rings of hendrick. I still think of it sometimes...
I have the premium lockjaw and it's a good flyer but crazy domey.

I wonder if the proto for the DGCR lid is still out there? If we could get the 3D printer file it's possible someone like NSH could make it for us.

im a big fan so far - pretty good feel, nice flight. Only thrown at around 6000' elevation so curious to see how much it changes at sea level.

I picked one up yesterday at my local shop, have not had a chance to test it yet but I'm hoping for something to use for longer Putts in the heavy woods on a few courses we play. The feel seems perfect for wooded areas and they say it takes a forehand well so in tight areas this might get called upon...only time will tell.
Played a round today and used it for longer Putts where possible Birdies were involved and it worked really well, didn't hit the Birdies but caught some chains and popped the basket a couple of times...definitely glad I picked it up!

First day of field work in the 220 - 260' of distance range with a Star Alien has me liking it quite a bit. It feels surprisingly good in the hand. Took backhand power nicely, and pretty accurate, or predictably within range, or occasionally making mini's with what else I was throwing to match that angle, in the range of Cro (which it nearly shares a bottom with) Yeti, Enough stability to fight back. Getting forehand up to power with it will take some fine tuning, or just more space to fly.

I was going to pick up a Rollo, but all they had was heavy weights so I got an Alien instead. The grip is very nice, and it goes as far as you throw it. That's not good news for my weenie arm; for purposes as a mid, it's very short. I'm kinda restricted to using it as an approach disc. It's useful for that since it ranges nicely, but I was already pretty happy with my approach shots.

It's reminding me of when the Spider came out. The Spider is a really nice mid that I could use for a lot of shots, but I already had those shots covered by other discs that I thought covered them better than the Spider. I just never found a spot in the bag for one, which left me in the very weird position of saying I found no use for a multi-use disc. That's pretty much where I am with the Alien.

I got one in Nexus plastic that's gotten pretty beaten in over the past month.

It get used mostly for drop and plop shots under 200 or so feet. It basically flies dead straight and drops right down with minimal fade which I like.

I just got one of these in the mail the other day, first time throwing it today. I was excited for a Sonic like midrange but after throwing this thing at elevation (I live at 4,753 feet) I can say that it's WAAAAY more overstable and glide less than I was hoping for sadly. Perhaps at sea level they act better but not up here. Love the grip, doesn't fly. Oh well another disc to throw in storage and take out in 5 years, fall in love with it finally then complain they're OOP. :)

im at 6000' give or take... it felt stable but workable. Handles power and wind well

I ordered one of these for some reason.

Not that I think it won't be any good or anything. I have no idea. I'm just intrigued and might as well add a few other discs while I'm at it. Ordered a Sonic too, which I've also never thrown. It's fun to mess with weird discs in the winter. We shall see. I bag a damn Condor now because It's a Condor lol....

I think I can throw a Condor as far as my drivers. wtf....

Rami Malek Reaction GIF

Year end review is that the Alien really wants to hit the basket for me, eventually. For an approach range disc. It really holds its angle, and It's also just stable enough to be straight when I don't need it to be. The star plastic I have skips well, and has a funny plop noise. It's really a let the disc do the work disc, and If you get the angle, and touch right. The thing hunts chains. Which means, I will need to try this Alien in Nexus to better absorb impact.

" after throwing this thing at elevation (I live at 4,753 feet) I can say that it's WAAAAY more overstable and glide less than I was hoping for sadly"

Bring the Alien to lower elevations and I think you'll like how it flies much better. I carry a spider for those shots but the Alien has a place for lid throwers.