• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Payouts stifle pro growth?

Yet that is where the current model is for most of the larger tournaments. Local clubs raises money, invests time, taps their sponsor base and at the end of the day, a touring pro comes in and takes the money not to return until next year.

This is insane to me yet many of the people volunteering for the profit of others are happy to do it. They are excited to be part of a pro walking away with their money. For some people the hard ROI analysis seems to completely shut off when a little hero worship enters the equation...

This is insane to me yet many of the people volunteering for the profit of others are happy to do it. They are excited to be part of a pro walking away with their money. For some people the hard ROI analysis seems to completely shut off when a little hero worship enters the equation...

I look at hosting a tournament in the same spirit as throwing a party.

If you think about it, it doesn't make sense. You put a lot of effort in and buy a lot of food and drink and invite a lot of people who you hope will show up. Everyone has a good time and is fed and the next day, the host is left paying the cleaning bill.

It's a much better deal to go to a party that someone else is hosting. I'm not sure why we do it; it's certainly not for the ROI.

If you think about it, it doesn't make sense. You put a lot of effort in and buy a lot of food and drink and invite a lot of people who you hope will show up. Everyone has a good time and is fed and the next day, the host is left paying the cleaning bill.

It's a much better deal to go to a party that someone else is hosting. I'm not sure why we do it; it's certainly not for the ROI.
This is exactly what I tell people. Hosting a PDGA event is a big party we host for ourselves and our friends. We are going to put up a lot of money and basically blow it all. Then we can go to the next town over when they have their party and blow all their cash. Is it responsible? No. Do we like to party? Hell yeah!

So big party it is.

PAYOUTS!!!!!

Every time these threads pop up i just have no idea what to say. So many sports you play for maybe a trophy and cost way more to enter. Sure the "player's pack" or equivalent, might be kinda cool with more donated stuff but holy hell so many running, soccer, tennis, swimming tournaments cost more to enter and you are there simply to test your performance and a few get a medal or a trophy. Some running events were everyone gets a medal and a beer ticket but ffs some of those are over a $100 for general entry fee.

On the Am's paying for pro payouts... maybe the "pro" division should cost double what it typically does. I don't have an issue with the cost of any tournament ive seen for an AM division but do look if you are calling yourself a pro and chance to win cash $$ maybe the entry fee should be more than $10 more than mine.

Yeah....a party where a group of strangers show up, steal all the booze and knock up your daughter. :p

This is exactly what I tell people. Hosting a PDGA event is a big party we host for ourselves and our friends. We are going to put up a lot of money and basically blow it all. Then we can go to the next town over when they have their party and blow all their cash. Is it responsible? No. Do we like to party? Hell yeah!

So big party it is.

This explains how it all started and how some State and Regional Series still work. For example, there are many successful regional series in California: Nor Cal Series, So Cal Series, Cen Cal Series, Sierra Tahoe Series, etc, etc.

Each series is like a pot luck. Each club hosts an event at the home course. All the regional players then get to enjoy an entire buffet of events throughout the competitive season in exchange for hosting one event at their course. Some hosts like to go all out, others do the best they can.

These series are continuing to grow because regional disc golf businesses and promoters see value in bringing their tasty dishes to the pot luck/series.

FYI - A potluck is an American get together where each guest or family member contributes a different, often homemade dish of food to be shared. The key is to coordinate a variety of dishes.

Come to think of it, a regional Disc Golf Series might be more like a chili cook off since everyone brings a different version of the same dish. Some have meat, some don't.<3

This explains how it all started and how some State and Regional Series still work. For example, there are many successful regional series in California: Nor Cal Series, So Cal Series, Cen Cal Series, Sierra Tahoe Series, etc, etc.

Each series is like a pot luck. Each club hosts an event at the home course. All the regional players then get to enjoy an entire buffet of events throughout the competitive season in exchange for hosting one event at their course. Some hosts like to go all out, others do the best they can.

These series are continuing to grow because regional disc golf businesses and promoters see value in bringing their tasty dishes to the pot luck/series.

FYI - A potluck is an American get together where each guest or family member contributes a different, often homemade dish of food to be shared. The key is to coordinate a variety of dishes.

Come to think of it, a regional Disc Golf Series might be more like a chili cook off since everyone brings a different version of the same dish. Some have meat, some don't.<3
When you really think about it, it's exactly what you would expect a player-driven organization to do. We put on events that we want to play in. Simple. The payouts are huge because we want to play for huge payouts. Simple. Back in the day the payouts were commonly skewed toward MPO because we wanted to support pro disc golf, and in some places that is still done. Simple.

Really, disc golf in a way is like a kindergarten class where the teacher left and the curriculum was handed over to the students. We have waaayyy too much recess time and snacks, and about twice as much nap time as we really need. It's not the most efficient way to educate, but all the other kindergartners in town want to be in our class. I mean, would you really expect a bunch of kindergartners to do something else?

So the AM's are all of the preschoolers complaining that the kindergarteners have all the fun?

So the AM's are all of the preschoolers complaining that the kindergarteners have all the fun?
Either that, or preschoolers that need their diaper checked. :|

*tries to pretend I'm not an AM*

I would prefer they just did away with most of the players pack. Throw it into prizes instead. They still make the markup, but this way makes it way less murky. If the TD doesn't run a disc shop, then the disc shop should give the TD a discount on the prizes. Max profit paid to all parties should not comprise more than 15-20% of entries paid.

The worst is promising one item in a player pack and then replacing with another cheaper item. Was suppose to get a dri fit shirt last tourney and got a towel instead. I would have played either way, but now i think the TD is a bit cheesy.

And stop stamping the logo's on the side of the disc. None of mine with an offset stamp fly like they should.

As far as pros, when you get a quality pro field, run a pro-am the day before. Put some of those proceeds into paying player appearance fees and boosting the purses.

I would prefer they just did away with most of the players pack. Throw it into prizes instead. They still make the markup, but this way makes it way less murky. If the TD doesn't run a disc shop, then the disc shop should give the TD a discount on the prizes. Max profit paid to all parties should not comprise more than 15-20% of entries paid.

The worst is promising one item in a player pack and then replacing with another cheaper item. Was suppose to get a dri fit shirt last tourney and got a towel instead. I would have played either way, but now i think the TD is a bit cheesy.

And stop stamping the logo's on the side of the disc. None of mine with an offset stamp fly like they should.

As far as pros, when you get a quality pro field, run a pro-am the day before. Put some of those proceeds into paying player appearance fees and boosting the purses.

Lol!!

NOOOOOO thank you. I have zero interest in my AM money going to pro purses.

Around here, my competition when it comes to tournaments are two separate local non-sanctioned series that pay cash to all divisions and, on the PDGA side, a lot of relatively high priced B & C tiers where the player packs are getting more and more extravagant...

They enjoy competing no matter what the prize and they don't really complain about where their money goes...

Do you think living in our state, which (is?) exclusively private courses that are P2P has anything to do with it? $5 minimum to go anywhere, with others creeping up higher. My local course went from $5 to $6 this year, and it's $10 for the weekly league. You run a $15 AM entry tournament? That sounds great to me. $5 more for the experience of a tournament? Worth it. (Finding the time is the limiting factor for me).

Three Putt and Biscoe were discussing about on public or private courses - but they both probably live in areas where players are used to playing for free in those parks, so they might be more stingy when it comes to paying anything than we are? What about players that live around Maple Hill, a $15 entry would be a discount! So maybe it's all relative. For the record, I have not yet played in the MPT.

Most all pros like BIG checks !!

picture.php

I would gladly pay $100 to play a pro-am with a chance to draw Macbeth or similar as a partner for the round.

Interesting. I would not pay anything to play with any pro. Seems weird to me. I have always had a hard time looking up to people based on a particular skill. I respect their talent, but would rather play a tournament with folks in my skill set or friends in a casual round.

I bet I am in the minority though. I started a new thread and poll.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134092

Three Putt and Biscoe were discussing about on public or private courses - but they both probably live in areas where players are used to playing for free in those parks, so they might be more stingy when it comes to paying anything than we are? What about players that live around Maple Hill, a $15 entry would be a discount! So maybe it's all relative. For the record, I have not yet played in the MPT.

In the DC area, Maryland/Virginia public parks range anywhere from $3 to $10 entrances fees in the spring to fall on the weekends. And some of the public parks charge a $2 per day disc golf fee year around or $20 per year.

Each public park system seems to handle fees a little bit differently.

In the DC area, Maryland/Virginia public parks range anywhere from $3 to $10 entrances fees in the spring to fall on the weekends. And some of the public parks charge a $2 per day disc golf fee year around or $20 per year.

Each public park system seems to handle fees a little bit differently.

Thanks for the info, I've played a course in Indiana where I paid $3 at a gate to drive in, and the course was just part of the park (or whatever else I wanted to do there).

Latest posts