• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

The Crooked Creek Classic, Chapin, SC - May 28

It's on the PDGA calendar as a C-tier, dual-sanctioned (ADGT), whatever that means.
If you click on the link, it takes to the Salient website. If you work hard, you can find a list of Salient events there, though this one isn't on it. (You can, however, download flyers for last year's events, including the one that never happened).

But on the ADGT website, it's still listed under events. Other than that, there is absolutely no information or mention of it, anywhere that I can find.

Why do I care?

Well, Crooked Creek is the closest course to me that I don't live on, and a course I really enjoy. Until about 2 months ago I was planning to play it, regardless of everything else.

And it's the first local, regular tournament they've hosted since the Orangeburg fiasco, and I'm rather curious to see if anyone will attend.

Ah, interesting. What does Dual-Sanctioned mean? Can you play by the ADGT rules instead of the PDGA rules? Get rated for both? You should definitely go!

Its pretty easy to see that they lost a ton of money on this event.
Im calling it now, this was a one and done.
Also very likely that it takes down salient with it.
Gotta love seeing bad things happen to bad people.

Yep, it's been pointed out that the "tour" isn't sustainable per the financials of this one event. However, the thing isn't officially dead until they're no longer willing to pour money into it AND they strike out on sponsorships.

Presumably the plan going forward was to use the live broadcast (or other edited footage?) and hit the streets hard looking for sponsors. Some major PDGA events raise enough money to cover the "upper five figure" costs that they incurred to run this event--or at least on that order of magnitude--so it's conceivable that this first year was seen as an investment. Presumably the grand scheme was that future iterations would break even or turn a profit...especially once sponsors saw the production quality and the glory of ESPN.

However, there are a number of reasons to think that sponsors won't be dumping money into future ADGT events. All of the PDGA majors have been built up on consecutive years of trust in the TD's and developing sponsor relations. Compared to that, it's tough to imagine the ADGT lining up enough support to make their events sustainable (especially at their quoted expense levels). Any potential sponsors should be very keyed into viewership numbers. That's one of the reasons that I haven't ironically watched it: that would falsely boost statistics and make the ADGT look less like garbage. On the plus side, anyone who knows anything about disc golf will be pretty unimpressed by many other stats on the ADGT baseball card: player attendance, spectator attendance, payouts, etc.

So yeah, we could be looking at a prolonged death rattle for the ADGT. Which is fine with me, because I find this thread so darn amusing :D

.....at one point they posted that they needed 25,000 views on ESPN3 to proceed with scheduling their next major event.

I haven't read any boasts of the overwhelming response by the general public to their production, but perhaps those are yet to come.

If they were telling the truth in the Ultiworld article, and the re-broadcast on ESPN2 is dependent only on the production quality, and not the viewership, perhaps they're tied up in negotiations on that right now.

I think it's safe to say they likely fell short of earning the chance at re-broadcast on ESPN2, whether it was cracking 25,000 views or entirely based on production quality. I doubt they hit the 25,000 mark (because there's no way they wouldn't be shouting it from the rooftops if they did) and there's no chance that show met any of ESPN's production quality standards.

It might have looked okay to us with the relatively low standards we have for live production (no offense intended to the "iphone, Youtube, backpack" guys, it's all about budget), but that was **** in terms of what ESPN2 should/would be willing to air. And of course that doesn't even get into how any airing on ESPN2 would be financed (ESPN ain't gonna pay for it).

.....at one point they posted that they needed 25,000 views on ESPN3 to proceed with scheduling their next major event.

I haven't read any boasts of the overwhelming response by the general public to their production, but perhaps those are yet to come.

If they were telling the truth in the Ultiworld article, and the re-broadcast on ESPN2 is dependent only on the production quality, and not the viewership, perhaps they're tied up in negotiations on that right now.

With some decent editing, you could get this packed into a 1-hour fairly watchable and even slightly entertaining. Add in the scoreboard when necessary, skip the walking down the fairway crap, and I'd watch it even if the actual golf play wasn't stellar.

Yep, it's been pointed out that the "tour" isn't sustainable per the financials of this one event. However, the thing isn't officially dead until they're no longer willing to pour money into it AND they strike out on sponsorships.

Presumably the plan going forward was to use the live broadcast (or other edited footage?) and hit the streets hard looking for sponsors. Some major PDGA events raise enough money to cover the "upper five figure" costs that they incurred to run this event--or at least on that order of magnitude--so it's conceivable that this first year was seen as an investment. Presumably the grand scheme was that future iterations would break even or turn a profit...especially once sponsors saw the production quality and the glory of ESPN.

However, there are a number of reasons to think that sponsors won't be dumping money into future ADGT events. All of the PDGA majors have been built up on consecutive years of trust in the TD's and developing sponsor relations. Compared to that, it's tough to imagine the ADGT lining up enough support to make their events sustainable (especially at their quoted expense levels). Any potential sponsors should be very keyed into viewership numbers. That's one of the reasons that I haven't ironically watched it: that would falsely boost statistics and make the ADGT look less like garbage. On the plus side, anyone who knows anything about disc golf will be pretty unimpressed by many other stats on the ADGT baseball card: player attendance, spectator attendance, payouts, etc.

So yeah, we could be looking at a prolonged death rattle for the ADGT. Which is fine with me, because I find this thread so darn amusing :D

Good points, including the last. Among the reasons to think sponsors won't be dumping money in is, for ESPN, you'd be talking about large, national sponsors, and sizeable chunks of money. And companies forking over money to Salient/ADGT are likely going to check on their reputation---unlike the companies, recently, who were merely cashing their checks.

Ah, interesting. What does Dual-Sanctioned mean? Can you play by the ADGT rules instead of the PDGA rules? Get rated for both? You should definitely go!

I've no idea. The Festival of Roses, the Orangeburg fiasco, was also dual sanctioned. I never got an answer from anyone as to what that meant. (They used it as an excuse for the 6 weeks it took for scores to be posted, saying they were causing some delay with Big Dog; a lie he shot down by confirming that they'd didn't submit scores for a month).

Yeah, it's been suggested by some locals that we go out to Crooked Creek on the day of the tournament and play some casual golf, and wave to both groups of tournament players as we pass them.

Salient isn't getting any big sponsors after that initial disaster they put on. They couldn't even get a respectable field of top players (4 in the top 20) for their "top flight" event. We get better tourney footage any other week during the season with better fields. If it's replayed on ESPN2 which it won't, who cares, it's not live anymore and we can get replays anytime on Youtube. Silly Salient.

I've no idea. The Festival of Roses, the Orangeburg fiasco, was also dual sanctioned. I never got an answer from anyone as to what that meant. (They used it as an excuse for the 6 weeks it took for scores to be posted, saying they were causing some delay with Big Dog; a lie he shot down by confirming that they'd didn't submit scores for a month).

Yeah, it's been suggested by some locals that we go out to Crooked Creek on the day of the tournament and play some casual golf, and wave to both groups of tournament players as we pass them.

I have to assume that dual-sanctioned means PDGA rules apply. Not only because they're better established and understood (in general), but because the amount of paperwork involved in getting all the ADGT variants approved would be more time consuming than it's worth. And since they are the ADGT, they can "approve" using rules that conflict with the ADGT book without the paperwork and red tape.

Of course, that's taking the leap that they'd bother to get waivers for their rules variations in the first place. They might be arrogant enough to just run it with ADGT rules without approval from Big Dog. It might also be the last time they run a PDGA event if that happens, because it would only take one player reporting their use of rules that conflict with the PDGA book to get them into trouble.

If it were local to me, I might be inclined to go just to play rules lawyer all day.

I tried to get someone to go to the American Open and abuse their badly-written rules.

But one of the Ams posted that they were given a rules sheet, and told that they were playing by PDGA rules with those exceptions. I'm still awaiting to see a copy of that rules sheet.

But it would be much more fun to play rules lawyer under the rules on the ADGT website.

Ahh, good old Crooked Creek with the reversible fairways. I'd love to see how you would be received at one of their tourneys, Dave.

I bet they wouldn't open the players meeting up to questions from the crowd, if I were there.

I think we should start a gofundme page for Davids may 28 entry fee. Shoot for 100$?? Would that cover gas, food and entry fee?

If anything deserves an ESPN2 replay it would be the Konopiště Open Lead Card Final Round on a 90 minute spot. I think I'll watch it again. Talk about an actual course for disc golf, 4 great golfers (not putting in the background), great play, score updates, drama and triumph. :clap:

That's one of the dumber points to this entire fiasco...well edited post-round coverage, with good commentary, always gets more views than live footage. Live disc golf just isn't all that compelling, ESPN (networks) or not. If they were already paying for the time, why show it live? Dumb dumb dumb

That's one of the dumber points to this entire fiasco...well edited post-round coverage, with good commentary, always gets more views than live footage. Live disc golf just isn't all that compelling, ESPN (networks) or not. If they were already paying for the time, why show it live? Dumb dumb dumb

I like live coverage more. I can't even open facebook on a tourney weekend - having trouble with these DGWT events because of spoilers. Ever watched a whole ball game if you know the final scores? Not unless it's an incredible game. And if it was, Live is even that much better!

Live is exciting to watch as an event that others are doing together with you, YouTube replays are for when I'm bored.

I like live coverage more. I can't even open facebook on a tourney weekend - having trouble with these DGWT events because of spoilers. Ever watched a whole ball game if you know the final scores? Not unless it's an incredible game. And if it was, Live is even that much better!

Live is exciting to watch as an event that others are doing together with you, YouTube replays are for when I'm bored.

I'm just not that hardcore myself. I did love watching the McBeth vs Wysocki Worlds live two years ago, that was close and intense battle, each birdieing every hole to keep the playoff going. But for an every week deal, I just can't get jazzed up for 4 hours of coverage for yada yada A tier. With the way live coverage is just following one group primarily, the action is just a bit too slow paced. I just prefer not to see the scores and zip through the entire tourney in a couple hours, all rounds.

The dumbest thing is the initial folly---that disc golf can be, should be, a mainstream spectator sport. And that the kind of production the ADGT came up with, even if it were done impeccably, would spur that.

At a great venue on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon, in a metropolitan area of a half million and an hour from the disc golf hotbed of Charlotte, they drew......10 spectators who weren't already there, to play or with the players?

My convictions remain that disc golf will never be a mainstream spectator sport---but that, should I be wrong and the day come that it is big enough and interesting enough to entertain ESPN's audience, they'll pay us. We won't have to pay them.