• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

The obvious question to ask is how are they paying for all that? Hard to believe a small company with limited resources could put something like this together.

If they could, you'd assume someone else would have tried by now too

The obvious question to ask is how are they paying for all that? Hard to believe a small company with limited resources could put something like this together.

If they could, you'd assume someone else would have tried by now too

My concern with this situation.... Jussi Merresma and Steve Dodge announce new tours. Everyone is excited, or at least talking about it. Someone else gets the bright idea to do the same, but put out a front that everything is lined up and ready to go, SO THEY can start raking in membership fees to fund it and nothing will ever actually come of it when they don't get the membership they need. It could really upset a bunch of folks that pay into something that might not be there. I guess time will tell, but I am holding on to my money, at Least until more info is released.

My concern with this situation.... Jussi Merresma and Steve Dodge announce new tours. Everyone is excited, or at least talking about it. Someone else gets the bright idea to do the same, but put out a front that everything is lined up and ready to go, SO THEY can start raking in membership fees to fund it and nothing will ever actually come of it when they don't get the membership they need. It could really upset a bunch of folks that pay into something that might not be there. I guess time will tell, but I am holding on to my money, at Least until more info is released.

That's the assumption I'm working under too.

Fun random inconsistencies with their tech standards and rules:

An approved disc can have a smaller diameter then an approved target is required to be able to catch (14 cm for the disc, 6 inches for the gaps). So you can legally play with a disc that can fall thru a legal target.

There is no penalty for using non approved discs.

You are disqualified if you play the course incorrectly. You are encouraged to attempt to rectify this mistake, but you are still disqualified.

There is no penalty for an incorrect score.

There is no explanation of what OB is or how to take a mark from an OB throw.

"The two meter rule is not in effect" doesn't need to be in their. If you don't want the 2 meter rule, don't put it in the rules! No need for that phrase to exist.

There are more

Oh and there is not a target on the market that is approved as a "gold" target, which is required for this event. Don't worry tho, YOU can pay THEM to build the target that will be featured on ESPN! Appearntly ESPN thinks not having only 1 target in tournament play is a no go, and ADGT doesn't want to use any targets that currently exist

Okay, we should do something to prevent others that might get tricked into buying membership from this...

Reading through these threads, it seems very likely that Salient just wants to get a bunch of money up front. I'm sure there are people who get excited hearing this and don't actually know as much as the people on these forums. Then they pay their money and get screwed....

That's the assumption I'm working under too.

Fun random inconsistencies with their tech standards and rules:

An approved disc can have a smaller diameter then an approved target is required to be able to catch (14 cm for the disc, 6 inches for the gaps). So you can legally play with a disc that can fall thru a legal target.

There is no penalty for using non approved discs.

You are disqualified if you play the course incorrectly. You are encouraged to attempt to rectify this mistake, but you are still disqualified.

There is no penalty for an incorrect score.

There is no explanation of what OB is or how to take a mark from an OB throw.

"The two meter rule is not in effect" doesn't need to be in their. If you don't want the 2 meter rule, don't put it in the rules! No need for that phrase to exist.

There are more

So, have we disproved the hypothesis that almost anyone could sit down and fire off a set of rules and it would come out better than the PDGA rules?

If this were so great, why isn't anyone putting their name on it? And by anyone, I mean Kilgus or Salient anyone else putting up "an incredible amount of money" to make this happen? If I were touting something as so great that it will change the sport, I would have my name ALL OVER IT. Kinda like how I didn't know who Nate Hienold was, until he became the face for the world's largest disc golf payout and a great event with a lot of support from big manufacturers and new exciting releases of molds and plastics with the world of disc golf attending. If it's as great as you say, why are you afraid to put your name on it and own it?

I also realllly don't understand the "you have 45 days to claim your spot or it's gone" idea. So you're telling me that if Paul McBeth wants to get involved in January that they're going to say "NOPE! Too late, you know the rules(which we wrote ourselves)."

And as was already mentioned, the event will be filmed, edited, then released to ESPN for display on ESPN3 or WatchESPN or something, NOT primetime ESPN1. This is no different than watching any other disc golf event not live on YouTube.

I'm unsure why people are making the assumption that it'll be pre-edited content. The letter from ESPN that they've posted on their Facebook states that the airtime will be May 15th at 1:00pm. The American Open tournament is May 13-15. They've stated multiple times on their website that it'll be a live broadcast. Sounds to me like they're planning on a live broadcast of the final round. I take the wording about "ADGT will deliver a produced package" to mean that ADGT will be responsible for providing the cameras and production instead of having ESPN employees show up.

Kilgus is also clearly stating on at least one Facebook thread that it will definitely be live on ESPN3.

I'm unsure why people are making the assumption that it'll be pre-edited content. The letter from ESPN that they've posted on their Facebook states that the airtime will be May 15th at 1:00pm. The American Open tournament is May 13-15. They've stated multiple times on their website that it'll be a live broadcast. Sounds to me like they're planning on a live broadcast of the final round. I take the wording about "ADGT will deliver a produced package" to mean that ADGT will be responsible for providing the cameras and production instead of having ESPN employees show up.

Kilgus is also clearly stating on at least one Facebook thread that it will definitely be live on ESPN3.

2-hour time slot.

Final half-round, joined in progress?

"A foundation built on exclusive---- rights with ESPN Network to bring the first professional disc golf------event to disc golfers via live---------broadcast in May 2016 and into---the future."

Okay, we should do something to prevent others that might get tricked into buying membership from this...

Reading through these threads, it seems very likely that Salient just wants to get a bunch of money up front. I'm sure there are people who get excited hearing this and don't actually know as much as the people on these forums. Then they pay their money and get screwed....

The sign up form on the website doesn't actually collect any payment information. So if they're trying to scam people through that avenue, they're doing a very poor job of it.

The sign up form on the website doesn't actually collect any payment information. So if they're trying to scam people through that avenue, they're doing a very poor job of it.

When i went to apply for pro membership it sent me to paypal. I didnt go any further then that.

Latest posts