• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An Amazing Discovery!

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I just made an amazing discovery. I've recently been reading alot about how slower speed stable dx fairway drivers are better than the new faster discs because they are easier to control. I've been in denial a little about it because every time I find a lost dx disc on the course I throw it and it's always too understable especially if it's light. That's why my bag is full of super fast champion distance drivers. I give the dx discs to the kids.

About three months ago I found a 150 DX Eagle (http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/stareagle.html) while playing a course in Dallas. I gave it to my son but he did'nt like it because it was yellow so he traded it to his sister. The other day I was playing with her and she got tired and handed me the eagle on the teepad of a 600' wide open hole. I had already thrown my champion destroyer about 350ish. I decided to try a roller with the light eagle. Guess what...it did not turn over. It went straighter and farther than any disc I have ever thrown. I was totally amazed at how stable this light dx disc was.

Today I played with it exclusively and broke my personal best on my home course by 3 strokes. I was parking every hole under 350'.

That's impressive! lately i've been thinking about lighter drivers. Considering my not great backhand i've been thinking about lighter weights. i know all the long distance contest winners always use light discs.

i'm guessing you were trying to throw a backhand roller? i've never tried throwing one- how do you throw them?

I made a similar discovery when I switched to a 164 gr Wildcat. Suddenly got more distance and much better uphill shots. Started getting better at the more stable stuff to from learning how to snap this one over.

If you really want to throw one far try throwing a DX 150 Destroyer or Wraith. I'm a big fan of the Dx lightweight drivers, as long as there aren't any trees around. I carry both DX and Champ lightweight drivers, and use the DX on open shots only and the Champs when there is a tree in sight.

I had a similar experience with a DX Dragon - bought for my daughter it's about 150g. I threw it recently just to see what would happen and it just kept going. The downside to this was when I tried to throw it in the wind - it didn't hold up well at all. I'll keep throwing my 168's to 172's for consistency, but on a still day I might reach for that Dragon...

I had a similar experience with a DX Dragon - bought for my daughter it's about 150g. I threw it recently just to see what would happen and it just kept going. The downside to this was when I tried to throw it in the wind - it didn't hold up well at all. I'll keep throwing my 168's to 172's for consistency, but on a still day I might reach for that Dragon...

The other thing about the Dragon that I do like is that it will hold many of the angles you put on it. It really is a great all-around, no-wind, kind of a day disc.

I think some of you are focusing on the wrong part of his story. He did much better because he was throwing a worn in DX Eagle instead of a super fast Champion disc, not because he was throwing a 150g disc.

I'd guess that 95% of all disc golfers and >99% of recreational disc golfers will get better results by throwing a DX Eagle in any weight over any sort of Wraith, Destroyer, Force or Boss type disc. Granted, it may take them a bit of time to fix the problems those super fast discs encouraged, but the results would be there.

i'm guessing you were trying to throw a backhand roller? i've never tried throwing one- how do you throw them?

You take an understable disc like most worn out DX discs you find laying around. You throw it like you would a destroyer for max D. It won't be able to handle that kind of speed so it will "turn over" so much that when it hits the ground it will be on it's right edge. Depending on the ground conditions it can roll for a good 200' after it hits the ground.

Grublador is correct. It's not as much about using light discs as it is about using a slower speed DX disc that starts out stable, then gets beat in and becomes very straight. I recently started using a 180 roc and have noticed the same thing with it. If I have a long approach, I will crank the roc like I would a destroyer on an open hole. The roc will go straight as an arrow at whatever I'm aiming at.

Cool, thanks i think i see this happen when i throw sidearm and they turn over and start to roll. I've always just thrown rollers overhand -but not full speed - but i guess ur method would be the max D roller approach

The other thing about the Dragon that I do like is that it will hold many of the angles you put on it. It really is a great all-around, no-wind, kind of a day disc.

I must hold my dragon funny or something because if I throw it level I can't flip it and if I throw it anny it always comes back left. Now I have a 150gr Surge that I can hyzer flip to anny and have it hold it the whole way. ( well not real consistently but most of the time ) According to disc golf center those to discs have similar stability so I'm wondering what I'm doing different. Also do most 150 class discs float? Or just the dragon, hydra, etc...?

Also do most 150 class discs float? Or just the dragon, hydra, etc...?

Just the dragon and the hydra float. In fact, you can feel the difference between the dx and the floating dx. The latter feels more rubbery.