• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anyone like the Warlock?

What is it... SS, ER, SS/ER? It feels like a firm ER.

Attachments

• 15489596450051669328875.jpg
    15489596450051669328875.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 46
The PW Warlocks have a slightly different feel in the hand as compared to the Warlocks I was putting with last season. Even though most warlocks are flat...these somehow feel flatter to me. Great driving putter for sure.
What tooling is on the PW Warlock?

I have three PW's and all have no tooling on the bottom whatsoever.
OK, then the one I saw was a PW Warlock. Did the nose seem to mold up blunter? The one I saw had a flight plate that dropped, which would explain the "seemed flatter than flat" comment that SpikeHyzer made. The nose seemed a lot blunter to me, though. Along with the core that had no tooling, it made me wonder if the mold was different. It looked like a different disc than the one I throw.

OK, then the one I saw was a PW Warlock. Did the nose seem to mold up blunter? The one I saw had a flight plate that dropped, which would explain the "seemed flatter than flat" comment that SpikeHyzer made. The nose seemed a lot blunter to me, though. Along with the core that had no tooling, it made me wonder if the mold was different. It looked like a different disc than the one I throw.

The initial run of PW Warlocks had no tooling underneath. The second run has tooling. The nose did mold up slightly different because of the plastic mix.

So Warlocks fly like Wizards...just beadless?

Similar HSS, but when thrown Warlocks have just a slight forward fade while Wizards have a solid finish at the end. Good driving putter, they have some platinum ones but they need to do diamond ones.
For me out of the box they fly just like a Wizard but they season more quickly into a disc that is still HSS but loses the LSS so the fade dies down and it's a pretty straight driver. I don't really have an issue flipping them. They are just solid.

Of course with more seasoning you can beat the LSS out of a Wizard as well. I have never been one of those guys who avoided beaded discs; I usually don't perceive any difference. For some reason the Warlock for me is just a smoother release than a Wizard. That's why I use them. If not for that, I'd still be chucking Wizards.

Actually I still throw Wizards sometimes. God that's such a fantastic golf disc. Why do I have to choose?

This was interesting, about 9:15 in:

He's comparing a Warlock to a Sinus and AviarX3. Those are two discs I've never thrown so I don't know first-hand, but both of those are supposed to be really beefy. I've always thought the Warlock was beefier than advertised, but I'm not sure it's THAT beefy.

Anyone who has actually thrown all these have an opinion?

This was interesting, about 9:15 in:

He's comparing a Warlock to a Sinus and AviarX3. Those are two discs I've never thrown so I don't know first-hand, but both of those are supposed to be really beefy. I've always thought the Warlock was beefier than advertised, but I'm not sure it's THAT beefy.

Anyone who has actually thrown all these have an opinion?

That's the first thing I thought of when he brought the Warlock into the mix as well. It's not in the same league at all. Sinus and AviarX3 are both a lot more overstable. The Gateway equivalent would probably be Warspear or Devil Hawk. Similar story with the Discmania P1X and MVP Envy... they great stable putters like the Warlock, but they're not in the OS approach disc category like the Zone, Sinus, etc.

I always thought the Warlock was a little weird in that it's basically an Aviar clone but the few I've thrown flew more like beadless Wizards. They weren't Sinus beefy but still. Maybe the one they sent Feldberg was just really beefy due to Gateway's trademark plastic consistency?

Looks like they sent him a pure white warlock which is a little more stable than usual. The warlock is pretty similar to a p2 actually. Definitely not as stable as the discs he was comparing it to.

That's the first thing I thought of when he brought the Warlock into the mix as well. It's not in the same league at all. Sinus and AviarX3 are both a lot more overstable. The Gateway equivalent would probably be Warspear or Devil Hawk. Similar story with the Discmania P1X and MVP Envy... they great stable putters like the Warlock, but they're not in the OS approach disc category like the Zone, Sinus, etc.

Saw that with the Envy Fight line that the Envy is not that OS compaired to the other molds he was testing like the Zone or Sinus. The Thing that he did mention that others on here mentioned is the disc is great for the approach putter category as the mold is lacking the glide that other discs are. By that logic the Bullfrog would be a great approach putter. Sinus is supposed to be a tad more OS then a Zone not the same, just that Dave Feldburg has a beat in Sinus that is more like a Zone in flight. This is from what I have seen on both in flight, one local guy was testing the Sinus as his driving/approach putter and I have seen the Zone enough by all or mostly Discraft players to know how that disc flies. The local guy switched back to a Classic ROC be it in Star though, had a old DX with the slight dome to it at one point but he could not find the other plastics so he went with what was made at the time.

Looks like they sent him a pure white warlock which is a little more stable than usual. The warlock is pretty similar to a p2 actually. Definitely not as stable as the discs he was comparing it to.
That was my first thought, but then he called it "the Eraser" and they said he confused the plastic with the disc. That would indicate it was an Eraser Warlock, but then he said it was stiffer that the other plastics so...none of it made a damn bit of sense. So I'm back to agreeing with you, I'm thinking it was a PW Warlock and the PW Warlocks I have are a little more beefy than I like a Warlock. The nose doesn't look the same on the PW Warlock, it molded up blunter.

I'm really ignorant on the Discmania putters, they all seemed to me to be subtle variations on an Aviar and they all flew more or less like an Aviar. The reason I liked the Warlock over the Aviar is that it's a tick more stable and it's a tick faster, so when you lay on it it's longer. It's as a driving putter where I get really good results with it. If I'm ranging it as an approach disc and throwing it at 60% or whatever, I might as well have an Aviar as they are going to fly the same. As are pretty much every putter around. That was what I thought the problem with the video was, he's just standing there going "can I throw a hyzer approach shot with this putter?" You can throw a hyzer approach shot with just about any decently stable putter. It didn't really show us anything.

Last edited:
...The reason I liked the Warlock over the Aviar is that it's a tick more stable and it's a tick faster, so when you lay on it it's longer. It's as a driving putter where I get really good results with it...

agreed, those are the same reasons I had for choosing the Warlock over the Aviar PandA. I liked the plastic better, too.

That video was very quickly put together and seemed to have a decent amount of misinformation. I'd have a hard time forwarding that to a noob looking for disc advice. I hope that wasn't his target audience; so much confusing stuff in there. I'm wishing he had done a little more research and gone a bit less extemporaneous.

And, BTW, he was throwing an Aviar3, not an AviarX3. But none of my 15+ Av3s have flown that overstable... not even the Champ Color Glows. It looked more like the AvX3 in flight. He said that the Innova team members are "all throwing it." I really haven't seen too many throwing the Av3. More of them throw the AvX3 I think.

. . . The reason I liked the Warlock over the Aviar is that it's a tick more stable and it's a tick faster, so when you lay on it it's longer. It's as a driving putter where I get really good results with it. . . .

Yep. My longest-ever flat-ground putter throw was with a Warlock. Probably by a good 20 feet.

Now if only I could do that consistently . . . :D

What do you guys do on hot humid days to lose some of the tackiness with gateway putters? I was using firm warlocks and I felt like there was glue on my discs today with it being 90 and really humid. It was really getting in my head that I wasn't going to release right. By the way, what a great mold.