• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are bad attitudes ruining disc golf??

I have to be. I don't believe in talking smack about someone without telling them to their face. Just venting.

If you called them on their behavior during the round, like you imply that you did, doesn't that qualify as telling them to their face? In which case, you're not talking smack behind their back, you're announcing to the world (or DGCR) what you've already told them directly.

Its too bad the 3 percent are some of the top pros, putting them in lead card every time. Earbuds were used for the last round, not after it affected my game. And, I usually never get affected, but this time warnings were thrown left and right, and trying to stay calm and focused is not always easy.

And this isn't a commute to work, I'm paying good money to play for cash, there is no need for it.

Amateurs have an excuse, they are amateurs and are learning the game. Ill have more patience with them than season pros. They know better.

Some of the top pros play disc golf for a living. It's not a very lucrative way to earn a living, and understandably would be stressful at times, having no income from a full time job.

Based on the OP's location and time playing I'm going venture a guess.

- Subject player has been suspended before and I believe he is still on probation with the PDGA
- Subject player's first and last initials are the same.
- Subject player has an extensive history of such behavior (I've witnessed it myself)

How did I do, OP?

Some of the top pros play disc golf for a living. It's not a very lucrative way to earn a living, and understandably would be stressful at times, having no income from a full time job.

If it is who I suspect; he has a "real job".

That's no excuse for acting like a jackass on the course, though. Earning a "living" as a professional disc golfer is a choice. No one forced them to do it. So yeah, they have the stress of playing for their next meal or whatever, but they always have the option of stopping their touring life and getting a real job if money is that tight.

That's no excuse for acting like a jackass on the course, though. Earning a "living" as a professional disc golfer is a choice. No one forced them to do it. So yeah, they have the stress of playing for their next meal or whatever, but they always have the option of stopping their touring life and getting a real job if money is that tight.

I'm not condoning bad attitudes, and I'm aware playing disc golf for a living is a choice. However, as you put it, these guys ARE "playing for their next meal or whatever."
Yes they could quit playing disc golf for a living and get a full time job, but do you quit when things get difficult for you?

We all know some professional athletes who make millions of dollars can also be DB's.

I'm not making excuses for the guys in our sport with bad attitudes, I just recognize how playing disc golf for a living could be very frustrating at times.

Remember, just because someone says they play for "Team Trilogy" doesn't actually mean they're a sponsored pro.

lol

Remember, just because someone says they play for "Team Trilogy" doesn't actually mean they're a sponsored pro.

I play for team me. My team acts accordingly. If there is a problem on team "me", I will take care of it and make sure it doesn't happen again. I don't want anyone thinking bad about team "me". :)

You guys should probably get off the high horse. If someone wants to kick their bag and slam their disc, it's their property to do so with. It is their personality to get mad when they screw up. You don't have the right to tell someone how they can or cannot act.

Now when they do these things to your property, then you can step in and say something. Until then, shut up and play your own game.

I'm not condoning bad attitudes, and I'm aware playing disc golf for a living is a choice. However, as you put it, these guys ARE "playing for their next meal or whatever."
Yes they could quit playing disc golf for a living and get a full time job, but do you quit when things get difficult for you?

We all know some professional athletes who make millions of dollars can also be DB's.

I'm not making excuses for the guys in our sport with bad attitudes, I just recognize how playing disc golf for a living could be very frustrating at times.

There's a huge difference between quitting just because something is difficult and quitting because one can't afford to keep it up. If playing disc golf is your sole source of income, then it's a job like any other. And if your job doesn't pay well enough to cover your living expenses, you find another job, no?

Playing disc golf for a living can be frustrating, but it is a self-imposed frustration. It's not a cause for sympathy, IMO. Nor is it reason to ever pardon or excuse poor attitude or behavior on the course.

And let's be clear, we're not talking about the occasional outburst of frustration here. We're talking about habitual and overly demonstrative episodes of rage and general jackassery. I don't care if they're only "damaging" their own property or not, I paid the same entry fee they did to play. My "right" to not have to deal with their childishness is at least equal to their "right" to act like an ass.

If the guys with day jobs stop donating their entry fees to the top pros the top pros eat more ramen and less beenie weenies... therefore it is in the best interest off the top pros to not act like asshats.

You guys should probably get off the high horse. If someone wants to kick their bag and slam their disc, it's their property to do so with. It is their personality to get mad when they screw up. You don't have the right to tell someone how they can or cannot act.

Now when they do these things to your property, then you can step in and say something. Until then, shut up and play your own game.

Highhorse? lol.

I could care less if they kicked their bag and yelled at themselves. As long as it ends in a reasonable time. Not continue on in a tirade while disrupting half of a disc golf course. Especially at courses with holes close together. I would assume there were several tees and baskets close by with people ready to putt within shouting distance.

And I do have the right to tell someone how they can act, I paid my pdga fee. By warning them and then a 1 stroke penalty for each infraction. Read a rule book.

These stupid forums and sissy complaining will ruin the sport quicker than a few frustrated pros.

There's a huge difference between quitting just because something is difficult and quitting because one can't afford to keep it up. If playing disc golf is your sole source of income, then it's a job like any other. And if your job doesn't pay well enough to cover your living expenses, you find another job, no?

Playing disc golf for a living can be frustrating, but it is a self-imposed frustration. It's not a cause for sympathy, IMO. Nor is it reason to ever pardon or excuse poor attitude or behavior on the course.

And let's be clear, we're not talking about the occasional outburst of frustration here. We're talking about habitual and overly demonstrative episodes of rage and general jackassery. I don't care if they're only "damaging" their own property or not, I paid the same entry fee they did to play. My "right" to not have to deal with their childishness is at least equal to their "right" to act like an ass.

I agree with you that temper tantrums from people not playing for a living is just plain ridiculous, and if someone on your card throws a tantrum, the other members of the card should give them a warning.

My post is regarding the pros who make a living playing disc golf. These guys aren't doing this for the money, so saying they should quit when faced with financial hardship isn't going to happen.

Players with habitual and extreme attitude problems should and need to be dealt with. A while back, Innova dropped sponsorship of an individual for his poor attitude and I condone their decision. My OP was merely stating that I can understand how playing disc golf for a living could become a frustrating endeavor at times.

I find your responses to my posts to be ironic, considering the subject, lol.

My post is regarding the pros who make a living playing disc golf. These guys aren't doing this for the money, so saying they should quit when faced with financial hardship isn't going to happen.

I don't understand how these two sentences jibe. If they're making their living playing disc golf then they, by definition, are doing it for the money.

My point is that if the "pressure" of making a living from playing disc golf is such that they can't handle adversity and act out in frustration to the point that it becomes a problem, then perhaps they should find a real job to pay the bills and alleviate themselves of that pressure. I'm not saying they should quit the game. Just stop relying on it to be their lone or primary source of income.

There really isn't enough money in the game yet to sustain full time players on tour. It's really incredible that we have any at all attempting that life, to be honest.

I know my horrible attitude makes it hard for people to play with me! :clap:

Latest posts