• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are some people just naturals at DG?

"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard"

and perfect practice makes perfect. you need to be doing the right things to improve.

I'm just now figuring out that a smooth throw is way better than a heavy hard OATy throw.

Some people read about meditation, studying techniques and various schools of thought, paying gurus to give them a mantra and some people just medicate.

FTFY:eek:

/derail

Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

HUH???

Of course their are people who are just naturally gifted at disc golf. Just like any other endeavor. As I understand it one of the greatest tennis players of all time, John McEnroe, rarely practiced. In fact he preferred to party. He won a match or two.

And you may be over thinking too.

And of course, and no offense meant, but maybe you do suck.

Don't know if you suck but it might be that you are over thinking the whole thing. It sounds to me that your friend is just going with what feels right. You studying and working on all those details makes you think way too much about your game.

Clear your head and just throw. See how that works.

Yeah, This is probably right!

I can understand where you're coming from. I've been playing about as long as you, and like to practice as much as I can. I've seen a lot of improvement in my technique, distance, and putting, but don't feel like that has translated to better scores as much as I would like.

My theory is, I'm building a solid foundation for myself that will allow my game to better grow over the long term. I'm not aiming to go pro or anything, but I do find the practice/improvement side of disc golf to be part of the attraction; it's not a matter of taking it too seriously, just a matter of enjoying the sport how I like to enjoy it. So my thought is, you're hard work and knowledge will pay dividends at some point, even if it may be slow in coming. That's certainly what I'm banking on.

This is exactly what I'm hoping too!

I find it peculiar that the OP said nothing about his short game, and only briefly mentioned that his friend practiced putting occasionally. Hmm.

Sorry If I didn't mention that aspect of my game..I've worked a lot on my putting over the summer and have improved quite a bit (still have some bad rounds where I over think putts and miss some easy ones). My approaches were decent but have recently took a bit of a hit due to me trying to incorporate FH approaches and trying some new discs out.

Comparing naturalism and athleticism to scoring in disc golf is tricky because of how much the mental aspect can come into play and putting doesn't require much athleticism. I don't think I'd consider your buddy a natural really. Everybody has a different level of naturalism, athleticism, and a relative ceiling. True naturals like Kachtz who threw 600'+ within a few months are very rare. I consider myself to be on the upper end of athleticism, but not naturalism. I've had people say I'm a natural in sports, but I've always had to work harder/smarter to get to the top, and often suck the first time playing a sport. I've also seen guys that work harder than me, but they either didn't work as smart or just lacked the athleticism or coordination to beat me. Then there were a few guys that beat me with worse technique and athleticism just because they were a lot taller.

naturals?

Iv been throwing discs for approaching a decade although dident give it much thought till the last 5yrs or so (I.E. keeping score, playing ob/penalties). I however have been hooked for @ least 4 years-playing local leagues and league and tag matches up to 100mi away. I for the last 4yrs have played apprx 3pdga and 2 unsanctioned tournements a year. I have turned many of my close friends on to disc golf including one who has a small family and 6.5 acres. Santa brought his kids three baskets last christmas. Although he only throws with me or one of our other friends his distance drive has 50'-75' on mine. (on a calm day I can put 4/5 375-400 while my casual buddy will put 2/5 425+) Two of my other friends who have much less experience can match or top my distance. NONE of them can beat me in a round, even with a long open course the ability to hit 20' puts and make 15' comebacks seperates the meat from the loaf. :\ Your experience can help, but what counts is beliving in every throw. And... sometimes their disc is just bigger

forehand and overhand drives dont take much skill to perform. i know a few hacks that get by like this. have him backhand one day and you sidearm and see what the scores are. bet you win by a landslide.

BINGO. I was a RHFH player in my younger days (mainly because I was a HS baseball player with an above average arm and it felt much more natural to me than throwing a BH). In retrospect, it was UGLY.

I've learned to throw the BH decently over the last decade. I'm not powerful, but I'm accurate. I can do a hell of a lot more with a Disc than I used to be able to do (plus I can pull that FH out of my arsenal if I need it, usually reserving it for escaping trouble at reduced power so my 40-year-old arm is preserved for the future).

Something else to consider is the difficulty of the courses you're playing. If there are a bunch of wide-open holes with little scoring separation, that might be the culprit. A less thoughtful golfing approach doesn't penalize one enough in that situation...

A friend of mine and I both started playing about the same time (about a year ago).

Something else to consider is your best local league that has lots of good pros. Hanging around great players will rub off on you. That's what took my game to a better level. (Thank you, J-Bird in Lansing, circa 1996...)

I just went back and read the entire thread. How awesome is it, PCDG13 that your thread has been visited by the reigning 2x world freaking champion? I love this website...

forehand and overhand drives dont take much skill to perform. i know a few hacks that get by like this. have him backhand one day and you sidearm and see what the scores are. bet you win by a landslide.

agreed :clap:

Latest posts