• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Artificial Teebox Co

BCDan

Par Member
I am thinking about artificial turf teepads for a Northern Disc Golf Course.

Teebox Co teepads are intriguing.

http://usdgc.com/?p=2845

http://theteeboxco.com/

Canaan+-+AFTER.png

Ron Rudy Falconer: what about snow and ice removal? we play year round in Calgary and we have to scrap snow and use ice melt on our concrete, will these pads handle that abuse?

The Teebox Co. : The panels when combined with the turf and liner delivers an insulation R value of 3.4 which is equivalent to 38 inches of sand and gravel or 17 inches of concrete creating a warming effect for the ground, helping to prevent frozen ground conditions. A salt/sand combination should help prevent the snow from adhering to the turf and allow removal with shovel and brooms.

"The Teebox Co.
Our turf has been proven to provide traction in most conditions. Rain, mud, snow, and ice. With proper installation and site prep mud shouldn't be an issue. Once the mud dries it can brushed with a heavy-duty floor broom, essentially additional infill. The dual-fiber fiber turf designed helps as well. Longer poly fibers form the bulk of the surface while shorter and thinner nylon fibers form the structure underneath. Larger size aggregates stay above the thatch layer, smaller ones settle and eventually rinse through.

Joe Blow: How do they perform in wet and frozen conditions?

The Teebox Co.
The Teebox Co. : Better than most. Especially when you compare it to 5+ year old concrete that hasn't been resurfaced. Tested at 175" of rain per hour. We also tested the material in 3"+ of snow and it performed better than expected. Retained grip and consistency. The system acts like an insulation barrier for the ground beneath. No frost heave and the surface area will remain warmer than the surrounding environment.

I am interested in how well they fit in to these parameters as well, as part of healthy living/ Physical Activity/ Active Living /Injury Prevention/Positive Mental Health/Healthy Aging and so forth.

I am interested in how well they fit in to these parameters as well, as part of healthy living/ Physical Activity/ Active Living /Injury Prevention/Positive Mental Health/Healthy Aging and so forth.

Well, as far as Positive Mental Health I doubt it. This game will drive you nuts!

I couldn't find much information on the required prep work for this style. Most turf pads need gravel in a form, tamped down. Looks like these could be installed on a flat surface with little to no prep work. I did request a quote form them but haven't heard anything back yet.

Caveat/Disclaimer: I'm a Sales Rep/Designer for DiscGolfPark, and we offer a competing product.

A couple of differences between the two products (I'll be as objective as possible) based on my experience @ USDGC '17 playing a full round and inspecting the pads out of curiosity.

- DiscGolfPark TeePads don't have as many blades per square inch (aka face weight), and ours use infill (we recommend sand)
- TeeBoxCo have more face weight and are infill-less

The difference is what you're throwing off of. TeeBoxCo feels (to me) closer to thick shag carpet. It is more plush. DiscGolfPark TeePads have the lower face weight because it feels closer to what grass is IMO. For this reason, DiscGolfPark requires building a frame with a filler material such as crusher run or pea gravel which is tamped down. It is more work. I don't believe that TeeBox requires that, though I'm not sure what exactly their recommendations or procedures for permanent install are.

I think the TeeBox turf is good quality, and I know the DiscGolfPark turf is as well.

I personally prefer the DGP turf, because I think you get a more consistent rotation (your heel is actually rotating on the sand/infill as opposed to the top of the blades) and a closer match to natural surfaces, but the TeeBox turf does feel nice to walk on.

My biggest issue @ USDGC was that the pads were all cut with the grain going in different directions. On all turf solutions, and especially infill-less turf, the grain must go from front -> back or the consistency in traction across weather conditions will not be the same.

Like I said, I make commission on DGP sales, so I'm unable to be unbiased. I do think both products are quality (though as you can probably guess I think ours are better), but if you order from TeeBox make sure that all of your pads are cut with the grain with the long side. Some of them had it cut crossways at Winthrop, and in doing that you create two different friction coefficients for LH vs RH players.

Whatever you decide for your course, please use turf over concrete! The extra work is worth it, I've heard that feedback from every single project I've done.

Whatever you decide for your course, please use turf over concrete! The extra work is worth it, I've heard that feedback from every single project I've done.

I highly recommend turf over concrete as well. My favorite turf to date is easily a shorter more "carpet-like" type that was repurposed from a field hockey field that was pulled up. I have been told it is more similar to true Astroturf but have no first hand experience to confirm that. We managed to get some from a local university who replaced a field and have (or will have) it on 8 different courses in the area. It requires no infill and is light enough that I can roll it out when I need it at Hawk Hollow (which is a cattle pasture in real life) and pull it back up. IMO the grip is much superior to the various longer turfs- I doubt it will have quite the lifespan but Walnut Creek outside of Charlottesville has had similar turf for almost 10 years at this point with no sign of wear.

I couldn't find much information on the required prep work for this style. Most turf pads need gravel in a form, tamped down. Looks like these could be installed on a flat surface with little to no prep work. I did request a quote form them but haven't heard anything back yet.

The subgrade prep is less than other Turf Teepads, as the "honecomb" geopanels are essentially the subgrade. I heard just an 1 bag of sand (80lbss?) is needed.

I am interested in the DiscGolfPark ones as well though, they are working nicely in Whitehorse Yukon I hear.... but since I'm the guy doing a good chunk of the labour intensive volunteer work, I like the idea of less prep work.

Latest posts