• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Avenger Throwers

SirRaph

Double Eagle Member
I've been trying a number of different stable/overstable distance drivers lately. Something that's stable enough to handle some power and wind, but not fade as early as a Z Predator.

I picked up a First Run Z Avenger recently. It seems to be a lot of what I'm looking for. I can mash it as hard as I want without having to worry about it flipping.
I also like throwing Discraft for the run-to-run consistency.

I'm curious to know how many players throw Avengers now, or used to, and what discs they throw now for that slot.

I'm also curious to know how the First Run Z Avengers are different from current runs. And also how the ESP and Elite X versions fly by comparison.

Thanks!

I tried X Avengers for a while and found them very nose angle sensitive, but recently have tried X Preds, and they are just as sensitive so seems to be plastic more than mold for whatever reason.

Im throwing ESP Preds for what you describe.

I carry both Z and X avengers, and they fit different roles. The X-Avengers beat in to be a dead straight flyer. Once they're seasoned, you can park them on a dime out to 350'. I use my Z Avenger when I want distance into a headwind, or I need to come back over some OB, but need to get farther than my Predator.

I don't know anything about the FRs as I don't own any, but if you like that Z Avenger, pick up and X for sure.

I actually throw a 150 ESP one when I play 150 class. It is currently my distance driver for that bag and I throw it on a hyzer and let it go to flat. It still does finish pretty good, but I dont pull it out much because only use it on holes that need to go past 400ft.

I've thrown both Z and X. Good discs both, but I get more distance and similar lines out of other discs. I had it in the bag as a long hyzer disc and a disc that would be more stable than wraiths/surges into a headwind. Now I'm using destroyer in about 5 stages of wear to cover almost all of my DD needs.

I have a an understable Z Avenger that seems to be an anomaly because I have tried other Z Avengers and none compare. It flys more like an SL than an Avenger. I now throw Z Crushes in the the over stable driver slot.

I have a Z Avenger with the older stamp (the huge A/R) so I don't know if they're different than newer ones, but I'm beginning to think so because this sucker is a meathook and based on what everyone else is saying it shouldn't be that way.

I use it for long, open flex shots (when executed right I can push 400', but I need the room) and for thumbers/tomahawks.

Been thinking about an X Avenger...might have to pick one up.

I have had at least 1 ESP Avenger in my bag for over 3 years. They start out almost Firebirdish, being very overstable and perfect headwind drivers, then beat into a Teebird type of flyer. Straight as an arrow up to about 300' with the slight fade. I've never had a problem with an Avenger getting too understable. I would suspect that crymerge throws with alot of OAT, and it is probably his/her fault that the disc is flippy, and not the disc itself.

I prefer to use my Avengers for headwind drivers between 250' and 350'. On a calm day, I use them to throw primarily flat shots that I cannot reach with my mids. Once you break the Avenger in, it doesn't fade as hard at the end. In the open, aiming 20' to the right of my target allows for the small fade in left at the end of the flight. In thick woods, I ofentimes just aim directly at the target and live with the slight washout left at the end of the flight.

I have used my Z A/R Avenger and an ESP Avenger very effectively.
It is a straight flyer when You're going past 325'.

I have throttled back on my throw for accuracy's sake, so I'm not quite getting the distance I used to.

Now I'm using a Pro Teebird-L or an X XS for distance.

I carry 3 esp avengers and i would be lost without them. looking at my bag like a traditional ball golf bag my avengers fill the role of my 3 wood. for reference i would say my xcal is my 1 wood and my eagle is my 3 iron.

I have avengers in esp, x and z plastic. They are great. The X that I used since I started playing 1.5 years ago is by now nicely beat in and can flip, but will always dependably fade back left at the end.

I carry 4 Avengers. I haven't thrown a First Run Avenger though so I can't compare that

Z Avenger is my go to forehand disc, and anything hyzer. Whether it's a short upshot, a spike hyzer, or anything out to about 375 on a hyzer. I use this more as a utility than I do distance

X Avengers are my bread and butter, I carry two. My newest one I need to replace because I lost it at an ice bowl, but basically the difference between my two are that of a teebird and an eagle. The New one is straight at power, but has noticeable fade. The beat X Avenger goes super straight, will hyzer flip, hold anhyzers, and also hold hyzers out to 400'.

My last Avenger is an ESP AvengerSS. Tons different than the other avengers, as the stability is also drastically different. Great flip disc, yet still stable enough to not be insta-roller.

I'm still looking for a stable Avenger. The one I have is Z plastic, but only 173 grams. It seems to just be really quick, thus less forgiving at high power. I can't trust it in a headwind, which bums me out.

avenger is too much disc for me right now.

i throw 300' on average with the occasional 330'-360' crusher.

champ orc fades less for me and i get more distance than an avenger.

if i EVER get more arm, it would be between the z nuke and the flx avenger for my distance disc. but until then, champ orc and champ leopard are my go to's.

just ripped the champ leopard 330' nearly laser straight last weekend! so maybe i'll be rdy for an avenger this year...

I have a Z Avenger with the older stamp (the huge A/R) so I don't know if they're different than newer ones, but I'm beginning to think so because this sucker is a meathook and based on what everyone else is saying it shouldn't be that way.

I use it for long, open flex shots (when executed right I can push 400', but I need the room) and for thumbers/tomahawks.

Been thinking about an X Avenger...might have to pick one up.

I have a Z Avenger with the same stamp that i got maybe 5 years ago. It was my only disc for along time, and I stopped throwing it b/c I wanted to make sure I didn't loose it. It has hit an ungoddly amount of trees, been driven over, had to be melted back into place, and numerous road rash incidents. Still a crazy meat hook. It flies like a new S-PD. I keep thinking about putting it back into my bag or getting a new one, but I've found other discs to fill it's role. Still it brings back memories.