• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Beast X ... what is this?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Saw one of these in the store yesterday:

pDSP1-13849557p275w.jpg

Looked and felt just like Beasts without the X.

Can't find any word of these....

Is it like the Eagle X?

Probably just clarifying that is the new/old mold. The L mold was retired and they cut the wrong mold piece at the machine shop (X version was the original). They were never both in production at the same time so they didn't clarify between L and X. I am curious if they will actually stamp eagles this way now too.

Some say the X mold is the better version of the Beast.

Without a doubt.
Beast used to be my go to driver in Proline back in the day.
When the mold changed and I couldn't get x molds anymore, I moved on to other things.

The X mold is definitely better. It seems faster and a bit more stable than the L mold. The Beast of about 2003 was (with the Orc) the fastest, longest driver out.

To me the L mold flew like a Sidewinder. Too flippy.

IMHO they put "Beast-X" on the discs for two reasons: 1) to let people know it's the revived old mold, and 2) all comments to "retiring" the new (I guess "L") mold notwithstanding, we may one day see discs with "Beast-L" on them as the new/new mold returns for those that want it. Just pre-prepping a whole new sales scheme all the way.

Gotta wonder if they'll ever do that for the Eagle-X and Eagle-L... actually printing "Eagle-X" and "Eagle-L" on the discs?

Yup, I use the X mold for my distance drivers, and the newer mold star plastic took the place of my sidewinder big anhyzer shots.

Aren't they going to update the flight ratings on the stamp? Thought the old Beast (X) was 10/5/-2/3?

I haven't thrown the X, but I got all my originals back out that I stopped throwing when they went extinct and refound the love. Was not a fan of the L mold at all.

Beast-X is the old mold Beast and kept the flight numbers 10|5|-2|2. The L config will be stamped "Beast" with 10|5|-3|2.

No one knows what the letters were picked for but here is some speculation:

X for experimental?

L was probably describing that style wing as like the Leopard, which I think was the only flattish bottom wing on a driver at the time as far as I know.

PLH changes would just be coincidence, I have Eagle X's with both lower and higher PLH that Eagle L's I have.

Huh, interesting. Does the X wing bring a higher PLH, or is that a coincidence?

Does the X Beast fly like an Orc?

Why those particular letters?

The X wing has a concave curve so the air flowing under it has to travel a longer distance in effect raising the PLH.

No one knows what the letters were picked for but here is some speculation:
X for experimental?
L was probably describing that style wing as like the Leopard, which I think was the only flattish bottom wing on a driver at the time as far as I know.
PLH changes would just be coincidence, I have Eagle X's with both lower and higher PLH that Eagle L's I have.

Innova started using the -L designation for several discs to denote they were (L)onger and (L)ess stable. They outright advertised this for the Teebird-L, now well known as the TL. Other discs they tried this with were the Starfire-L (SL) and Firebird-L (FL).

Then they began doing this for the Eagle. I am not sure where "X" came from ( "X"-tra stable?) but the -L designation became known for the less-stable variant of a mold.

Latest posts