• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Anny disc?

haha wow... does it suck JUST cause its a groove/? or something wrong with it??

Flatter than a pancake and stable as hell. Most of them cant even begin to throw it. I always try to sucker the FH only people into it...

The guy that runs the tourney Im playing tomorrow accepts all trades though... That thing is gone.

My $0.02. In order of ease to control, Aero, Element, Impact. (I know the Impact is marketed as a driver but look at it and throw it. It's more of a mid.)

Stepped away for a little bit and this thread got away from me. To answer this:

I gotta ask... do you want a disc for throwing with anhyzer release? If yes, Hornet.

or do you want something that will hold a sweeping turn to the right (rhbh)? If yes, Comet.

I'm looking for something that will sweep right.

My technique is probably all wrong but every time I try to throw anny I'm getting too much height, it turns right but then stalls and fades back left or falls like a roc(k).

I'm also going to work on forehands since they naturally fade right (rh'd thrower) but till that gets better thought maybe a different disc would help..

The Wolf is a right out of the box anhyzer disc. I keep trying to find a disc to beat it out since I don't like DX plastic and the "Super Wolf" is not cheap, but you can put a little hyzer angle on it and give it a good pull through. It has a nice predictable turn to it with no fade at all. I really like this disc and that's a tough thing to say since I also don't like large diameter discs as well, but you just can't beat it for an anhyzer disc.

Stepped away for a little bit and this thread got away from me. To answer this:

I'm looking for something that will sweep right.

My technique is probably all wrong but every time I try to throw anny I'm getting too much height, it turns right but then stalls and fades back left or falls like a roc(k).

I'm also going to work on forehands since they naturally fade right (rh'd thrower) but till that gets better thought maybe a different disc would help..

If you turn over a...
DX Stingray (about $7)
X Comet (about $10)
GL Fuse (about $17 but will last forever in this role)

they will not fade out of it.

It depends on what you want to spend for these discs. IMO, these are the best plastics for these molds. Best choice is probably the X Comet.

Last edited:
I currently throw a Buzzz for my mid but, I'm having some trouble with moderate range (~200 ft) anny throws. I've also got a Buzzz SS but was wondering if there would be a better disc. I know Comets are great but I'd rather not have one mid w/o a bead and the other with.

I haven't read this whole thread, but a Meteor would be great! They are rather understable, but they don't seem as finicky as even a Stingray, which would also be a good choice.

Not that you'd know by watching me throw them today, awful awful day :D

It's not a mid, but a beat wizard works great. I also prefer to turn over more stable mode such as a beat roc, or even a fuse. The fuse is money for annys and turnovers. Meteor wouldn't be s bad choice for an understable mid though.

Thanks for the help - not unanimous (but is anything on here unanimous :p) but I think I'll try a Meteor. Does it only come in ESP? Most of my disc are around 168-170s. Will weight make a big dif?

How about coyotes? It's money. I carry 2, one heavy and a lighter one, just depends on how windy it is. It enjoys being thrown on a anny line and will hold it amazingly.
Biz

Thanks for the help - not unanimous (but is anything on here unanimous :p) but I think I'll try a Meteor. Does it only come in ESP? Most of my disc are around 168-170s. Will weight make a big dif?

I've only seen them in ESP. I don't own one because I can make the Comet do whatever I want it to. Those that have them, love them.

Whatever weight that's comfortable for you...

putter, dart, stingray.

But even my girly noodle arm puts a stingray out to 250+ in calm conditions.

At 200 feet, I'd drive my putter with a little less hyzer, unless it's a strong headwind, and then the buzz should turn for you.

I throw a beat up DX aviar and an old TP Elite X comet for my shorter anny shots. They work great and can hold any line I put them on.

I throw a beat up DX aviar and an old TP Elite X comet for my shorter anny shots. They work great and can hold any line I put them on.

I throw a beat up DX Aviar for a lot of touch up shots too. The X Comet is the next best thing.

To the OP, I highly recommend staying away from the Meteor for now. I carry one but it's a dangerous disc. I only use it for a few specific things (not 200' anhyzers), and I only bust it out when I'm really screwed. A Comet, Fuse, or putter is useful for a ton of stuff (including smooth turns at all kinds of apex heights and distances). If you really want a mid, but you don't like the Comet rim, get a Fuse.

Metors are to finikey (sp?)
Almost all turnover discs are slow and floatly so that you can adjust power/speed and really shape line- the meteor however is not of the like. While the meteor is better on a lower line then most, it hyzers out easily when not up to speed and has a habit of flexing out of the shorter turns.

Now if you are having trouble getting a bh to finish right, discrafts stratus is the easiset to find sucess with and also easiest to learn h flips with. Innovas stingray would be a close second.

I of course use comets for the majority of mid shots and would second the notion of using a putter for that distance. Magnet and small bead avairs are like comets and an apx is like a stratus (comparitively flight wise).

Other thoughts:
I didn't read this thread at first but when I saw you chose meteor I had to read what led you to it. Don't get me wrong, the metor is worthy, but definatly not the best to learn when you're unsure of what you're doing. For example, no matter the speed I throw a comet, it will anny if I tell it to with followthrough and height. The meteor I'd also have to hit the right speed. Why make it harder?

I also suggest, reguardless of disc or shot, to really focus on your follow through- it dictactes the flight, possibly the last portion the most. So get your elbow up, keep you forarm above the elbow line for annys, and follow through on that same line- towardsthe ground at varied angles.

So more important for you to think about than disc choice is;
Do I follow through?
If so, do I use it to manipulate fade or do it the same with every shot?

Now apply these same questions to reach back and use of the tee box.

Latest posts