• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Beginner disk setup

Dj1001

Eagle Member
I recently convinced a couple friends to join me in my disc golf addiction. 2 of them really like them game and are ready to purchase some disc.

They both insisted on getting drivers so I came up with this
1 Opto River ~165g
1 Buzzz SS ~175g
1 S Anode max weight

I'd like to get your inputs on these disc and possibly some other recommendations if you see fit. A premium plastic putter is a must as I am stressing that they must learn to drive with the putter and wooded course+baseline plastic= chewed up disc.

Get them a regular Z Buzzz to complement the SS, and two more Anodes.

Have them throw their Buzzz 35% of the time and their putter the rest. Do that for a month (ignoring your driver) and their form will improve dramatically.

Find a practice basket somewhere, and spend 30 min a day practicing putts. There is no substitute.

When they start throwing the driver often, add a heavier weight River for heavier wind duties, but keep it to those three molds for a while and learn those three discs well. The 165g will be the one they initially will have the most success with, probably.

Randomly jumping from disc to disc won't help you much in the beginning of your time playing. Until you first learn all of the options that a particular disc can offer, you don't really have a good ability to judge discs you come across later.

Most importantly, have fun

Last edited:
I recently convinced a couple friends to join me in my disc golf addiction. 2 of them really like them game and are ready to purchase some disc.

1 Opto River ~165g
1 Buzzz SS ~175g
1 S Anode max weight

I'd like to get your inputs on these disc and possibly some other recommendations if you see fit. A premium plastic putter is a must as I am stressing that they must learn to drive with the putter and wooded course+baseline plastic= chewed up disc.

Those are good choices but just based on personal preference I choose:

Gateway Sabre E HPP (fairway)
Gateway S Element (mid)
Gateway SS Magic (putt/approach)

Great choices. Might would consider a TM River if you can't find a low weight GL River.

Also a TP Warship may be as good or better than the Buzzz SS.

why not go classic? Roc. leo, putter? cheap and easy to replace down road if y loose em and these ha d be greatest foundational discs of all time. The anodes are great discs probably the best putter to come out in years, but they require some spin and new players may be put off by what the anodes require.

I really don't think premium plastic putters are the way to go for a beginner. By using baseline you get a feel for how a disc changes during its life cycle. They also glide much better and by having a nicely beat version paired up with a fresh one you can cover a nice array of shots with that same mold.

I choose the buzzz ss b/c I already have 1 so I would only have to get one more and they both really liked it. I also chose these disc b/c I throw them and if they choose to quit I could still use them as back ups.

I'll look into some TM rivers. Is TM closer to pro line or DX?

I really don't think premium plastic putters are the way to go for a beginner. By using baseline you get a feel for how a disc changes during its life cycle. They also glide much better and by having a nicely beat version paired up with a fresh one you can cover a nice array of shots with that same mold.

I forgot to mention they both picked up DX sharks from a local drug store for the time being. I figured the shark would start out nice and straight and beat in to a turnover/anny disc. I figured by the time they got the new discs the shark would be beat so the buzzz SS would supplement the shark.

Last edited:
I choose the buzzz ss b/c I already have 1 so I would only have to get one more and they both really liked it. I also chose these disc b/c I throw them and if they choose to quit I could still use them as back ups.

I'll look into some TM rivers. Is TM closer to pro line or DX?

I think the Buzzz SS is fine. It can shape plenty of lines, and a lot of time, too much fade is discouraging to beginners.

Instead of the River though, I might recommend a lightweight leopard. It's a little less stable and can really shape some sweet S-curves for beginners from what I've seen.

Good setup. I might shoot for a Spike in zero or grip instead of the Anode, but I don't see anything wrong with the Anode as a first putter with durability for driving. Spike is a little more versatile, however. Dart wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

Leopard or River, either way. I'm partial to the Leopard, but for beginners and champ plastic, I'd get one in the 160-165 range.

Even though everyone "should" throw putters and mids exclusively when they first start, we all know that it feels great to try and rip into a driver. It adds fun to the game and that's what keeps us going out. Encourage them to use the putters and mids but I would throw a driver in their bag for fun or field practice. I like Teebird, Leopard or River, Buzzz, and putter of their choice for new players. Let them hit the shop and give them all a feel and see which one they prefer. If that's not an option then the Aviar is a great all around, easy to replace putter. This is also a bag they can grow with as they get better and they shouldn't have any shots they can't cover until then. Good luck!

I'd say just bring them to a shop with some discs and tell them to pick out a fairway, mid, and putter and let them see what feels good in their hands. Dx plastic prolly the best choice as its cheap and they are new to the game and may change out there discs in the coming months.

1 Opto River ~165g
1 Buzzz SS ~175g
1 S Anode max weight

I actually love this setup for beginners, the putter choice being, imo, spot on. Kudos! You might have them get an Anode that is light as well. I personally putt with a max weight Anode, but drive with 170g. I find that it glides 100% better...might be exaggerating, but nevertheless if there's wind pull out the heavy guy, ya know. Given the fact that all of these discs are going to glide forever and a day the light Anode might just be even more beneficial for driving purposes.

All in all, your choices were good. A teebird would be easier to replace than the river though.:D

BH- Star Valk165-, FLX Buzzz 165-170, X link Sole 175
FH- ZStalker 170ish, ZWasp 170+, X link VP 175

Seems to me that most beginners are forehand now a days and throw "hard" max weight usually compensates a little more for control. As for the back handers, teach them right and start them out with their mids and develop good form so they can accurately throw the drivers later. Way to intro some noobs!:clap:

BH- Star Valk165-, FLX Buzzz 165-170, X link Sole 175
FH- ZStalker 170ish, ZWasp 170+, X link VP 175

Seems to me that most beginners are forehand now a days and throw "hard" max weight usually compensates a little more for control. As for the back handers, teach them right and start them out with their mids and develop good form so they can accurately throw the drivers later. Way to intro some noobs!:clap:

Agreed! And doing it right!
Also, kudos on the flx Buzzz choice. Best Buzzz for a beginner IMO.

Putter is based of off preference.. That's a tough call. Get a regular Buzzz.. That would be much better and if they need a driver. Teebird, Leopard, or River are the golden ones.. You made a good call there.

I dont like it. Not one mold will teach them to love fade and i just never u.derstood premi putters.

Not to be negative, i just figured a lil different opionion might help.
........And those discs scream "look at me, i dg on the internet".
;)

i vote for:

leopard/xl 150 class
shark/x buzz 165-168
aviar/magnet 168-170

all in base plastic. giving beginners anything in premium plastic does them no favor. they need beat up discs. if they really start playing that much and wear the discs out in a few months, then it's a good thing.

That setup is certainly better than the last noob I met on the course. He had a star XCal, champion Groove and putted with his champion Beast...