• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best cold weather sports gloves for disc golfing in the cold months?

Ermac010

I know this thread gets brought up just about every upcoming winter but I'm searching for a good pair of cold weather sports gloves with good grip. I'm not talking about bulky hunting gloves or sucking it up with hand warmers in the pockets (I'm stuck with general poor circulation especially in cold weather) plus I just feel like l lose so much grip on the disc I'm hesitant to really reach back and let it go on my drives. Any suggestions would be great.

Are you talking about wearing gloves while you throw? I can honestly say I've never even tried that.... and I'm in Michigan!

Here's an example of some even better ones.

Now I've never used them. This is my first year, but I'm in Utah, and I'm going to try them out when it's gets too cold.

I'm very familiar with these gloves, and it seems like they should work perfectly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 99
I keep a pair of mittens and and just take the right one off just before throwing....Mittens are crazy warm

Hand warmers work very well. You don't need a glove to wear while you throw.

I wear fingerless on my right hand and a full glove on my left, on the three days of the year it's cold enough to justify gloves in Texas that is.

The very best gloves are more insulation on your core, neck, and head.

Me and hands in bitter cold:

I throw right handed.

Left hand - tighter fitting thinsulate work gloves with good tactile useability

Right hand - bare / good mitten (I use ice fishing mittens) with Hot Hands as needed

Towels - small micro fiber with multiple back-ups in ziplocks - Must keep dry.

1698_image.jpg

http://clamoutdoors.com/store/icearmor/hand/mits/extreme-mitts.html - These are great. Can drop on bag or ground when throwing and do not have to worry about wetness. They hold hand warmer heat very well.

I know you mentioned you didn't want hot hands, but honestly, I've got really bad circulation in my fingers and those things work better than any glove or mitten. My hands simply don't produce enough heat when the temps drop below a certain degree, so the warmest gloves or mittens don't do much because there isn't alot of heat to hold in. However, I keep hot hands in my jacket pockets (where I keep my hands when not throwing, and that keeps them plenty warm enough.

As far as grip goes, that can be tough. DX has the best grip, but can definitely break in sub freezing temperatures. Just remember to use the softest discs you have.

I wear one of those "around the waist" hand warmers that the quarterbacks wear.Sometimes, that's enough just by itself. When it gets really cold out, I put a hand warmer inside, and its crazy warm in there. No gloves necessary.

My hands simply don't produce enough heat when the temps drop below a certain degree,
Keep your core warmer. If your core gets cold, the body sends most of the blood there to keep vital organs warm, and less flows to the hands/feet causing them to get colder.

Keep your core warmer. If your core gets cold, the body sends most of the blood there to keep vital organs warm, and less flows to the hands/feet causing them to get colder.

Oh believe me, I've tried all sorts of things. I can seriously be bundled up with many layers of jackets til I'm sweating, but my fingers will go numb. I've heard there's exercises/routines that can be done to improve circulation in extremities, but I need to do some more research.

Mittens are always more effective than gloves at keeping hands and fingers warm because they allow the fingers to share warmth whereas a glove isolates each finger. Throw in a handwarmer and it's a veritable hand oven.

I do find that if I wear gloves, particularly on my non-throwing hand, putting a handwarmer in it so that it rests on the back of my hand is the most effective to keep my fingers warm and dexterous. It seems to warm the blood flowing through to my fingers a bit better, and it also doesn't interfere with grip so much if it's back there.

I have bad circulation as well. Gloves are not going to help. Get big, warm and ROOMY mittens and handwarmers. TIGHT gloves or mittens will not do you any favors. Air is a great insulator and will help just as much as the mitts. PPlusenough room to wiggle fingers and keep them dexterous.

Last edited:
I wear fingerless on my right hand and a full glove on my left, on the three days of the year it's cold enough to justify gloves in Texas that is.

Lmao exactly! I still wear knee length shorts almost all year I just break out the knee high soccer socks, a wool hat, and a hoodie with front hand pockets as my "winter" gear. Getting ready to go play now in this "arctic" 48 degree weather that blew in last night:hfive:

Latest posts