• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best disc for form work

Kevdude82

Par Member
I'm finding that the discs that work the best for me during form work are my KC Avair, DX Avair, and DX Dart. If I had to pick only one of them, and head out to the field with a stack of just that one mold, I think I'd go with the KC Avairs.
What are some other discs that work really great for form work? I basically throw what I have, but I'd like to stock up on discs that are great for form work, and only throw those on the field. I don't like throwing my os discs, like my rhynos and bulldog, knowing the overstability is masking my flaws.

River.

Nose up, it's gonna boomerang.
Nose down, it's gonna fly 50 feet at thigh height then cut the grass for about 25-30 more feet (though nose slightly down is still ok, especially in a tailwind).
Anhyzer lines are pretty effortless. Hyzer flips work very well.

It is the only disc that works so well for me but my torque monkey 400+ foot buddies can't stand.

Because it really honestly rewards a clean, flawless form

Zephyr, bruh!

Seriously, though, Comets are the money for form. I've heard good things about form work with a Nova, as well, but never tried.

Comet is gonna be the tried and true answer. They are a very neutral mold and will fly however you throw them, for better or worse.

Paul McBeth is a big fan of the nova for neutral putter shots and has said before they help clean up his form. I don't have a ton of experience with them, but personally find the Polecat a better mold for this kind of stuff. I like mine around 170g.

DX Teebirds thought me how to throw FH clean. They can take all the power I can put on them, but if I roll my wrist they are flipping. A Pro Leopard would also work as a good driver as well.

DX Aviar pna are good too, plus if you already have and throw them, even better.

Comet. Nice worn Aviar (no bead). Anything slow and neutral.

But Comet will also turn you on to a new way to approach courses. Added benefit.

Heavy (175-180g) ESP Comet. Why ESP? Because it's my favorite. That's Why!

Comet. Nice worn Aviar (no bead). Anything slow and neutral.

But Comet will also turn you on to a new way to approach courses. Added benefit.

I don't have much experience with the comet, but have to agree with the Polecat. I also found light weight leopards to be form sensitive.

I'm finding that the discs that work the best for me during form work are my KC Avair, DX Avair, and DX Dart. If I had to pick only one of them, and head out to the field with a stack of just that one mold, I think I'd go with the KC Avairs.
What are some other discs that work really great for form work? I basically throw what I have, but I'd like to stock up on discs that are great for form work, and only throw those on the field. I don't like throwing my os discs, like my rhynos and bulldog, knowing the overstability is masking my flaws.

The Opto Pure has helped me a lot. Someone suggested the River, which is good, and I'll add that I like the TL to practice and improve form.

Heavy (175-180g) ESP Comet. Why ESP? Because it's my favorite. That's Why!

Second this!

When doing field/form work, I start with my VIP Tursas and make sure that it's flying with the nice long anny it's supposed to have. From there I move up to my ESP Comet. What I want to do with this disc is get as long and straight drives as I can out of it (my range with this disc is about 260' max). From there I get out my Z Buzzz and try to add about 10' more to my Comet throws while being sure that I'm using the same form and getting it to land either directly in front of me or slightly left. Hope this helps, it has worked for me.

The best disc for form isnt even a disc....its videoing yourself and putting it up for Hyzer Unibomber and the other form geniuses critique you. If you dont have a form guru telling you what to work on, a specific disc wont help you...it will instead just teach you how to throw that specific disc.

If you have a form guru giving you pointers to focus on, then use any of the discs above. Comet and Polecat being very popular.

The best disc for form isnt even a disc....its videoing yourself and putting it up for Hyzer Unibomber and the other form geniuses critique you. If you dont have a form guru telling you what to work on, a specific disc wont help you...it will instead just teach you how to throw that specific disc.

If you have a form guru giving you pointers to focus on, then use any of the discs above. Comet and Polecat being very popular.
You're right. I know I need to do more filming, along with posting it up on here. I've filmed myself a few times, but I ended up deleting the videos after watching them a few times. Once I start working on my run up, I'll be looking for some help for sure! My run up is absolute garbage. I'm just working on a stand still throw at the moment, focusing on just the very basic mechanics. But yes, more filming, along with seeking help is the answer more than the discs.

Lots of love for the Comet, I see. I'll have to pick a few up on the next trip to the store. I like the low cost of the disc too, in comparison to the River or Pure. I figure I'll load up with some Comets and Avairs, and use those. Also, I'll enjoy buying and throwing something non-Innova for a change. I have little to no experience with the other brands. I've had a Nuke SS for quite some time, but if I'm posting about looking for a disc for form work, then it's pretty obvious the Nuke is WAY out of my league, lol.

I'd agree with a comet or an opto pure.

Neutral, but hss enough to not be maddening during field work. Proxy too, but eh. I don't like it as much.

A little too understable. I was gonna say max weight Nuke OS or something similar. :D

Joking... Kidding aside, I agree that filming is big. Yes, you should get commentary from guys (or gals?) who know what they're talking about, but the biggest advantage is that you start watching yourself and noticing things that look different from how good throwers. Ergo, first film your throws, then critique the film (your own critique as well as others).

Latest posts