• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Best mid for a narrow hyzer line?

tu-f-o

Double Eagle Member
There's a hole that gets me. I throw RHBH on it since it is a natural rightly hyzer line. But it's pretty narrow with trees. The fairway is only about 10ft wide in the beginning, then gets a bit wider later, but there are also more trees the deeper you go. also kind of low line. if you go too high you won't penetrate.

so basically, I need a suggestion on a mid that really holds the hyzer line, but won't fade left too hard to get that distance to the basket, which is maybe only 200ft at most.

i've had some success with my opto fuse, but i really have to be on point to not turn it and ride that hyzer line all the way. it gives me good penetration without fading left too early, but it's a touchy shot/disc.

what's your line-holding mid for a hole like this?
putters don't really hold this line for me.

i never really liked the buzzz, but i have a feeling there will be lots of suggestions on it, and i can kinda understand.

I like a pinnacle Ghost for this kind of shot, I imagine a Roc3 or a buzzz would work just as well. Something stable that doesn't need too much air under it.

was goin to say buzz haha

any neutral mid should would. or even slightly os. maybe shark, rock, wasp, truth. idk there is a thousand of them. comet is cheating easy D, could float it right to the basket

I would throw a Roc3 on a hole like this. Depending on the trees I might throw a putter. Do putters flip on you when you try this line with them?

Could u throw something low like a firebird and skip it?

That would be a great shot. Love Firebirds (and now the MVP Motion) for those.

For a mid, since I bag far too many Rocs as to be considered healthy, I would use either my flat top KC Roc or a fresh DX Roc. The DX Roc will have more glide, but will hold a softer line. The KC will require less of a hyzer angle.

Since you said it's a low line, a putter will likely be out of the question. Another disc I might use in that situation would be my Bio Fusion Suspect. Flies like an OS putter, but needs less height. A great tweener disc, ideal for that situation. I would likely throw it flat and let the disc do the work.

Something stable to slightly understable thrown with hyzer.

I'd probably throw my second most beaten in roc with a lot of angle and allow the rock-up to give it glide through the turn.

An S line gremlin or a KC pro roc for a mid. You could also power down a champ eagle or something similar.

The Tensor excells at lines like this.

For me:

Tensor if I want a straight shot with a healthy fade at the end.

Buzzz if I want the same early flight with a straighter finish.

Comet, FTW

I LOVE my Comets, but they tend to finish straight or right for me, even thrown on a hyzer. I suppose a heavier Z Comet might work, but the two discs I mentioned above are better fits. I kicked the Fuse out of my bag because it was so much less controllable than the Comet, so that's not a great answer either.

Last edited:
I'd use a medium Vibram Obex. I play in a lot if heavily wooded courses and this disc has become my go to 150-200ft got approach disc for its ability to hold that low tight hyzer line. The medium rubber also sticks at the basket and doesn't give up any huge skips or bad rolls.