• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big arms + Katana = ???

Nick C

Birdie Member
I'm wondering if any big arms have thrown the Star Katana yet. By big arms I mean 375-400+ consitently. I was thinking of having my sister pick me up one as an x-mas gift but it seems like even though it's a super fast driver, that it has a lot of high speed turn.

Are there any big arms our there who have thrown this disc yet and if so what were your thoughts on it. I don't want to ask for a driver I'm going to flip over on every throw.

The champs are supposed to be the most stable, so try one of those if you do. The pros are supposed to flip pretty easily, and the star lands somewhere in the middle.

I myself do not have a big arm, but I saw let someone borrow mine yesterday who has a big arm. He bombed a hyzer flip that went over 400 ft. I've read reviews that describe the katana as a sidewinder on steroids, and that seems pretty accurate if you've got a big enough arm for it.

I'm wondering if any big arms have thrown the Star Katana yet. By big arms I mean 375-400+ consitently. I was thinking of having my sister pick me up one as an x-mas gift but it seems like even though it's a super fast driver, that it has a lot of high speed turn.

Are there any big arms our there who have thrown this disc yet and if so what were your thoughts on it. I don't want to ask for a driver I'm going to flip over on every throw.

My buddy Chase (ChasetheAce on here) consistently throws over 400 and he seemed to like my Champ one. I usually average about 350-370 and with that disc I can break 400 very consistently. The Pro's are more Flippy and I dont like them near as much as the Champs. In fact it really does take some snap to get that disc to flip and faster arm speed actually benefits that disc more then you would think.

The disc has a decent chunk of LSS. Looking at your discs, if you can control your Avenger SS, you should be pretty good with this. Expect the Katana to fly faster and to fade a little more at the end. Like any disc, you're just going to have to find the right angle.

The disc has a decent chunk of LSS. Looking at your discs, if you can control your Avenger SS, you should be pretty good with this. Expect the Katana to fly faster and to fade a little more at the end. Like any disc, you're just going to have to find the right angle.

I will agree that if you can control an SS you can probably throw the Katana with some competency but dont expect it to fly anything like one. The Katana is way less Flippy and WAY faster.

Last edited:
They are pretty easy to throw. I grabbed three Destroyers in different plastic and wear to test against the Star Katana yesterday. I got relatively the same distance with all four, but the Katana flexed out more. I think it will find a place in my bag for now. It's easier distance and might come in handy for shots that require distance w/o a big run up or eventually an anhyzer bomb disc.

The Champ is more stable than the Star from what I could tell

If Katana found big arms he would just say that somebody shouldn't have left them there, and that they're his now.

\/\/

Have not thrown one yet, but from my experience, the more expensive the plastic the more overstable it becomes. I am not sure about star and champion though because I have never thrown a star and champion on the same disc. But I have a star boss and a pro boss of the same weight and the pro I can turn over, the star I cannot.

Latest posts