• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Hyzer Bag- Ergo

It worked out nicely that my first event using the Ergo was the KCWO. Long and hilly courses combined with high temps and humidity = need every ounce of energy. I felt like carrying the Ergo really helped me not burn/waste my much needed energy. I know that I would have been struggling a little bit hauling the Mahal around all weekend.

Awesome! Would love to see a video review / "in the bag" if you have the time

Now that I finally have my bag I can give my two cents. I like it so far for all the reasons that led me to buy it. However, this rainfly is the worst I've ever seen. It will definitely be the first mod I make. Also, a lot of you have said that the side disc pockets stretch out a bit. I hope so, because I could barely get a putter in there with nothing else in the side. I crammed two stiff Rocs in there last night to see if they would loosen up a bit. Otherwise, I like it so far.

I dont put any discs in the side pockets. It's so tight a friend of mine tried it and it warped his discs. On one side i carry a water bottle, nalgene GBO one. On the other side in the mesh and further inside pocket i put Bug Spray, 2 mini's, and sunscreen. All of it fits just right. I tuck the tongue into the 'big' compartment and put my keys and wallet in there and then i put 3 putters in that pocket sticking out.

Anyone interested in a trade for a Voodoo Spinal Tap, PM me. Totem Brown. Looking for any color EXCEPT black and green.

So I finally got a chance to get in a few rounds with a first gen Simian to compare it against my Ergo, and I can say I made the right call with the Ergo. I played three rounds yesterday and split bag duties. I started with the Ergo and switched to the Simian. After the front nine, I couldn't wait to finish to restock the Ergo for round three. While I know the current gen Simian has seen a lot of improvements, I just don't think they would be extensive enough to change my mind.

Specifically, I can't fit nearly the same amount of discs in the main compartment to match the Ergo, which severely limited the extra stuff I could carry because I had to pack the side pockets with plastic. The frame was the main reason for the limited space. While there was room for more discs in the main compartment, the PVC fittings shrunk the width of the opening and wouldn't allow more discs without some serious force when both loading and unloading.

As for how the bags sit, I prefer that the Ergo sits higher on the back, and the frame is undetectable due to it being on the front of the bag except at the very bottom which is very thickly padded. The Simian sits most comfortably down lower like a traditional bag, and that didn't mesh well with me because the straps (even being as short as I am) weren't long enough to cover the entire contact area on my shoulders. The buckles were felt in my armpits which made me tighten and loosen the straps as I put on and took off the bag. I want to make it abundantly clear that the straps on the Simian have been redesigned and look more like the Ergo's in terms of both width and padding than any other bag. The first gen's however were the width of the Grip with even less padding. While the Simian felt great on my back when I first got it, the straps became an issue when I packed it with two full 32oz Nalgenes. That was a very frustrating surprise. I know I could use quads instead, but I could get mine adjusted to fit as comfortably as the included straps. I'm sure the current gen is much better so this part is apples and oranges unfortunately.

I also didn't like that the water bottle holders are attached to the side pockets (I always wondered how little or how much they would sag, even before the Grip bag existed) which made setting the bag down an extra hassle. The water bottles did help keep the bag upright on the side of a hill though, regardless of which way it was facing, which was awesome and a big plus over the Ergo.

Something else that might have changed with the updates is that there were no real "technology" pockets. Because I had to pack the side pockets with discs, that left only the underside storage area. There is no way I'm putting a phone that cost as much as the bag where it would be the second thing to hit the ground next to the water bottles. The side pockets would've given my the same worries too since they have no extra pockets either and sit flat against the ground as well. I really love that the Ergo's tech pockets (my description) are high enough on the bag that anything in them is safe when pulling out water bottles and discs.

Now to the thing the Simian has that the Ergo doesn't, the seat. It is certainly nice to have a seat be part of your bag so it's never forgotten at home or on the course. Even with substantial padding, my 200+ lb body was heavy enough that I couldn't feel anything but the front and back of the frame. It was not completely uncomfortable, but I was pretty disappointed. Hopefully this was upgraded with the current gen as well.

Well, that's about it. Sorry for the novel. :D

Was a bit weary about buying what some consider an expensive bag and being that it was my first backpack disc bag. I was wearing an innova competitive bag with some straps. After playing a couple rounds or every day for awhile, I would develop a sore lower back. This back pain didn't hurt super bad but was more or less annoying and my back just felt tight.

Needless to say after playing a couple of rounds with the ergo, I feel as if I didn't carry around all my discs at all unlike my other bag. The bag was comfortable and easy to get to my discs. I played some hilly courses and didn't have any problems with the bag tipping over. The only problem was the water bottle slot kicked my bottle out once and I kept reaching for a handle on top of the bag. If BH fixed the water bottle slot and added a handle the bag would be amazing. Overall I'm very pleased with the bag and my back is very happy with the purchase!

Just wanted to post incase someone lurking was on the fence about buying. Especially if you lower back pain this bag is great!

Just Ordered

I just ordered an Ergo (yesterday).

If they update it inside of a week or two that'll be bad luck on my part, but oh well. :)

I tried one out on the Columbus trip I just went on. I won't load it up quite as fully as possible - for those rounds I'll use my Contenders, or my Grip, or my Mahal, or my Prodiscus (though I think I'm selling that one).

I'll use it for my "lower disc count" rounds where I just want to take 10-15 discs out instead of the 25 I carry in my Contender or the 22 or so I can fit in a Grip. It carried the weight well and felt like there was nothing on my back - very nice.

I'll probably also pick up a Skirmish here at some point, but other people are plastic whores or dye whores, or something, and I guess for now I'm a bit of a bag whore. :)

After much consideration I've decided to go with an ergo over the spinal tap and grip. From what I've seen and read I think I'll be very happy with the ergo. Hopefully they will have black/red in stock when I get the loot together. Shouldn't be long.

Yeah. I'm dumb. Just looked on Their website and its free as of now. Here's hoping it stays that way for a couple more weeks

Latest posts