• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Next generation should have built in gimbals, at that point game over for gopro, etc.

Ehh, maybe for everyday people but gopros will stall have a place. How many people are going to strap an iPhone to a surfboard or their helmet when they go skydiving?

Yeah, I get that. But Brodie sure looked like he was playing bogie golf through much of that video. So I guess what I should have said is "I don't know how Brodie was even par through 17 holes."

How many holes did they even show? Couldn't have been more than 8 or 9...

Actually, I went back and skipped thru it and they did show all the teeshots. It didn't feel like they did watching it the first time. They did cut a lot of approaches and putts though. But it's not like it was a difficult course and he did seem to have several birdies.

Yeah they showed all 20 holes on the course. Having played that course quite a bit, I wasn't that surprised that Brodie was even par. I thought he was +2 or +3 going into the final hole, but the course is really forgiving and hard to get into too much trouble. I also think they skipped all of his birdies except one.

I still don't buy it. The recent videos don't even show me someone who will be competitive in Am1 at local C-tiers. He looks like a run of the mill Am2 player right now.

He can throw reasonably far from a standstill and has a good clean putting motion. He is still throwing occasional random WTF Richard drives. He appears to still be learning the ropes when it comes to shot selection and strategy. He needs to get a lot of competitive DG under his belt quickly. My guess is that it will be unsanctioned, Discraft-sponsored events for a while so he doesn't get a crummy rating on paper.

I actually wonder if some of this might be a little gamesmanship. Of course we only see what they put in the videos.

Maybe we are seeing his best. But maybe we're not???

I still don't buy it. The recent videos don't even show me someone who will be competitive in Am1 at local C-tiers. He looks like a run of the mill Am2 player right now.

He can throw reasonably far from a standstill and has a good clean putting motion. He is still throwing occasional random WTF Richard drives. He appears to still be learning the ropes when it comes to shot selection and strategy. He needs to get a lot of competitive DG under his belt quickly. My guess is that it will be unsanctioned, Discraft-sponsored events for a while so he doesn't get a crummy rating on paper.
Those shots are the question mark. He's going straight into CONSTANT practice, that can make a big difference fast. I can see him starting the year with a lot of 920s and sneaking in some 1000s, and by the end of the year looking like a 990 player often throwing lots of rounds in that 980-1000 range, but mixing in the occasional sub-950.

I can see it playing out.... The early season keeps him from 1000, and likely ending the year an underrated 950-980 depending on the way he opens.

He comes from a disc background. And he's getting more productive and guided reps than any of the players we have probably ever met who got great seemingly overnight.

Brodie is leaps and bounds ahead of most disc golf beginners he just picked out his bag of discs and is throwing even par? He has the athleticism, competitiveness and stature to be great.

Is Andrew Fish still with Discraft?

They should throw him into the mix in the McBeth/Brodie vids, since he also has an Ultimate background...

Those shots are the question mark. He's going straight into CONSTANT practice, that can make a big difference fast. I can see him starting the year with a lot of 920s and sneaking in some 1000s, and by the end of the year looking like a 990 player often throwing lots of rounds in that 980-1000 range, but mixing in the occasional sub-950.

I can see it playing out.... The early season keeps him from 1000, and likely ending the year an underrated 950-980 depending on the way he opens.

He comes from a disc background. And he's getting more productive and guided reps than any of the players we have probably ever met who got great seemingly overnight.

This is basically what I think, too.

He did the "10/10 from 33 feet" putt challenge in just 3 attempts . . thats good.

I have been playing for +20y and to make 10 i a row from C1 edge is NOT as easy as it might sound

He did the "10/10 from 33 feet" putt challenge in just 3 attempts . . thats good.

I have been playing for +20y and to make 10 i a row from C1 edge is NOT as easy as it might sound

It was from 20 feet.

edit: I missed the other video

Is Andrew Fish still with Discraft?

They should throw him into the mix in the McBeth/Brodie vids, since he also has an Ultimate background...

Yes.

I don't see him taking time off his day job for this adventure. Sounds like a cut in pay to me.

Fish should be in everyone's videos just because his throwing style is so amazingly smooth and effortless looking. Watching him out drive card mates while looking like he's throwing an upshot never gets old.

Not quite the same as that, but in Clearwater, FL we have Disc Golf in the Ballpark on Wednesday nights in the spring and fall. It's organized by a local disc golf store (Local Route), and we play in Spectrum Field, which is the Philadelphia Phillies Spring Training stadium. The course includes a few throws from the bleachers down onto the field, and also goes through the practice fields outside the stadium. They have a tiki bar and live music too. It's worth checking out if you're ever in the Clearwater area when it is happening.
https://www.facebook.com/DiscGolfInTheBallpark/

Latest posts