• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Bubble Plastic Infection!!

Emoney

* Ace Member *
At the tourney this weekend i couldnt help but notice that everyone and there moms and there newborns were throwing blizzard plastic. Love seeing the big bombs, but are these things part of a consistent game? Or are they a kool trick?

Trust me, this is great technology. Even though i dont throw innova, i give them props for this idea. My question is, can these be consistent enough to get ya to the big leagues? Would a pro tell u to take them out the bag?

I would like some talented players take on this.......

If it works it works.

Im a course hack so I dont know about what a "pro" would say.

I would just think that if it was windy at all you could be in trouble.

Seems like a great idea. The only thing that worries me is how it's gonna beat up. If the bubbles in the plastic weakens the structure too much these things are gonna die quick.

I noticed the same thing at Texas States tons of AM's throwing bubbles and making bad shots in the wind. Then I walked with the lead card Nikko, Cale, Will and Matt Hall and noticed that the two Innova guys never once took a bubble out of their bag NOT ONCE. This also applied to almost every other pro card I saw. When I asked them about it they just smiled and said "Not Good in the wind". Funny thing is even on bomb tailwind holes these guys werent reaching for Blizzards they were reaching for max weight Echo Destroyers and Nukes. I think Blizzards are great easy distance for lower level players but I havent seen much evidence other then Wiggins bombing one of Pro's going nuts over them.

At the tourney this weekend i couldnt help but notice that everyone and there moms and there newborns were throwing blizzard plastic. Love seeing the big bombs, but are these things part of a consistent game? Or are they a kool trick?

Trust me, this is great technology. Even though i dont throw innova, i give them props for this idea. My question is, can these be consistent enough to get ya to the big leagues? Would a pro tell u to take them out the bag?

I would like some talented players take on this.......

These things are legit and plenty durable!

Not everybody cares about getting to the big leagues. I think Disc Golf will be much better off when it goes the way of Ball Golf and people start looking for more forgiving, easier performing discs etc. Plus in Ball Golf a good many of the top pros have trended towards the more forgiving clubs etc. over the last several years.

I think a big factor is also that the pros use the discs they are used to. They wont go all a sudden and exchange all their drivers for bubble stuff.

I think a big factor is also that the pros use the discs they are used to. They wont go all a sudden and exchange all their drivers for bubble stuff.

True and also what doesnt get talked about is these guys have been playing for years and in order to effectively use these discs you have to change the way you throw a disc. For guys like McBeth and Schusterick with incredible arm speed its tough to slow down and throw a Blizzard.

True and also what doesnt get talked about is these guys have been playing for years and in order to effectively use these discs you have to change the way you throw a disc. For guys like McBeth and Schusterick with incredible arm speed its tough to slow down and throw a Blizzard.

I'm sure it's not that tough for them. More likely just what was said above, there is no reason for these guys to stop playing their established game in a tourney. The pro's are not worried about extra distance in a tourney, they are used to throwing far and are likely far more worried about consistency.

I'm interested in how it will perform at bg ams big d comp, if the qualifiers get there by throwing any bliz, maybe I'll be convinced. Thus far, all i've seen is talk and hype and testimonials from relatively shorter arms.

For guys like McBeth and Schusterick with incredible arm speed its tough to slow down and throw a Blizzard.

Just wondering if you have every thrown a Blizzard disc yourself? The Wraiths are understable as well as the Katanas. However, the 150-154 Destroyers are almost just as overstable as a regular destroyer. Also, the only wind that is bad on them are right to left winds. When they start to hyzer out a right to left will pic it up and carry it too far. However, in every other wind, they perform just like a regular weighted disc if you stay around 150. For me, they added distance, but that was not the things I liked. They added more controllable distance which has made my game much better. The blizzard discs have knocked about 2 strokes off my game.

I noticed the same thing at Texas States tons of AM's throwing bubbles and making bad shots in the wind. Then I walked with the lead card Nikko, Cale, Will and Matt Hall and noticed that the two Innova guys never once took a bubble out of their bag NOT ONCE. This also applied to almost every other pro card I saw. When I asked them about it they just smiled and said "Not Good in the wind". Funny thing is even on bomb tailwind holes these guys werent reaching for Blizzards they were reaching for max weight Echo Destroyers and Nukes. I think Blizzards are great easy distance for lower level players but I havent seen much evidence other then Wiggins bombing one of Pro's going nuts over them.

I think it's more of the inconsistency to their disc lineup - why throw something that is 25-40 grams lighter and risk griplocks when you can already throw 500'?

I still maintain that the blizzard plastic was created specifically for people who already throw lower weight discs, or would benefit from doing so. I think there's a certain point in ones development where the consistency of heavier discs will (excuse the pun) outweigh the small distance gains of super light plastic.

Seems like a great idea. The only thing that worries me is how it's gonna beat up. If the bubbles in the plastic weakens the structure too much these things are gonna die quick.

This is why I'm not throwing Blizzard plastic. I've had friends hand me their blizzard disc to throw that's less than a week old and the edge already looks like crap. A local pro uses them and says they're only for open holes, but I don't want to have discs that I can't throw in certain places because it will get beat up too fast.

i agree...tried 139 wraith, 144 wraith, and a 152 wraith...litterally they were within a 20 ft circle of my pro wraiths. I'm sure with practice i could bomb them, but we don't have giant open "bombable" holes that often in the pines in the south. i'm hitting the pro wraiths on a slight hyzer flip, very controllable, or thrown flat with a turnover shot 390+ consistently.
Even on the longer 2 holes locally one is 800+ and other is 600+, par 5/4 respectively, i end up throwing a fairway driver half the time anyways for placement.

Well that is some of the top players.. Why would they?

First Post!

I picked up a 138g wraith the other day. the second time I threw it I griplocked and sent the thing sailing over the fence at Lakeshore. It landed hard on the road and then was ran over by two cars before I got to it. Picked it up and it still looks the same as it did sitting on the shelf! no warping or deformation, not even a noticable scratch. So IMO this stuff is just as tough if not stronger than regular champ plastic.

As far as distance goes, I average +/- 300ft and havent gotten any significant extra distance with this disc, although it is a lot easier to get there than with anything else in my bag. For now though the blizzard stays in the truck

I'm interested in how it will perform at bg ams big d comp, if the qualifiers get there by throwing any bliz, maybe I'll be convinced. Thus far, all i've seen is talk and hype and testimonials from relatively shorter arms.

I know someone will be throwing them. last year they were tossing ultralight R-pro bosses, why not throw blizzards.

Blizzards are a great thing for innova, they are pretty, flashy, far flying discs that last 2-3 games, then you have to replace them.

First Post!

So IMO this stuff is just as tough if not stronger than regular champ plastic.

no where even close. I had a pile of laundry tip over and rest ontop of a blizzard boss for 3 days. The disc was so warped I had to fill it with super hot water to bring it back to shape.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's not that tough for them. More likely just what was said above, there is no reason for these guys to stop playing their established game in a tourney. The pro's are not worried about extra distance in a tourney, they are used to throwing far and are likely far more worried about consistency.

Id disagree, I throw as far as most pros and it took me quite a bit of time to adjust to throwing Blizzards. Plus if you have a bag full of different weights this causes you to have to adjust your throwing style from disc to disc. As Climo has said every disc should be thrown the same, its the variation in discs that provides the varying flight paths. Also you are right it is all about consistency with pro's, but shouldnt that be the goal of any disc golfer? To me the Cons far outweight Pros for throwing highly varying weights in discs. So if your going to throw Blizzards you should throw all light weights.

Last edited:
I know someone will be throwing them. last year they were tossing ultralight R-pro bosses, why not throw blizzards.

Blizzards are a great thing for innova, they are pretty, flashy, far flying discs that last 2-3 games, then you have to replace them.

no where even close. I had a pile of laundry tip over and rest ontop of a blizzard boss for 3 days. The disc was so warped I had to fill it with super hot water to bring it back to shape.

^^^ Supertrue

Id disagree, I throw as far as most pros and it took me quite a bit of time to adjust to throwing Blizzards. Plus if you have a bag full of different weights this causes you to have to adjust your throwing style from disc to disc. As Climo has said every disc should be thrown the same, its the variation in discs that provides the varying flight paths. Also you are right it is all about consistency with pro's, but shouldnt that be the goal of any disc golfer? To me the Cons far outweight Pros for throwing highly varying weights in discs. So if your going to throw Blizzards you should throw all light weights.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
You mean Climo doesn't think you should only carry 3 discs? Is one of, if not the greatest of all times actually sayin you should throw a different disc for different shots???? I thought I was supposed to take one disc & be able to throw everything from BH to FH rollers & everything in between!!
OK, smart a@@ rant over, carry on with your conversation

Latest posts