• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buffalo to Florida

superium

Eagle Member
Driving down to Florida in the next week or so. Figured I'd spend a few days hitting up a few courses on the way down and eventually back up. What are some recommended course's I should hit up that are not too much out of the way?

Where in Florida are you heading?

Spring Hill area. I'll be 10 mins from a new course in Hudson that Sun King just moved to and installed.

If you pass through Asheville check out Richmond hill. Jackson park in Hendersonville is rad af (20 miles south of Asheville off of I26) also if you could bring me some aunt rosie's Loganberry and some mighty taco burritos... TIA.

Depending on what way you come down, Harmon Hills in Tenn, Langley Pond in SC and Hobbs Farm in Ga are all on the top 25 list and all have been getting a lot of buzz lately. You will have many options when you get to Florida. After the Sun King course, I would recommend Oldsmar and Cliff for starters.

Second the Harmon Hills recommendation. Lot of other good courses in that area, too.

If you take I-70 and I-270 through DC then Ditto Farms and Seneca Creek are right off the highway. I work near Seneca Creek so let me know if you would like a guide. Fair warning, though - DC traffic is no joke, especially during rush hour (3pm to 8pm). I wish I was kidding about traffic.

If you drive through Morgantown WV then Orange Crush and Seth Burton are on the way. Orange Crush is a fantastic course but on the side of a mountain so probably tough to play with snow/ice on the ground.

If you drive through Harrisburg PA then Gifford Pinchot SP is nearby. Quaker's Challenge is a beast, and Boulder Woods is a nice warm-up if you have time.

Good luck!

Speaking for the Carolinas portion of your journey: We'll be significantly warmer than points north. How much do are you willing to detour, and what sort of courses do you want to play?

Charlotte will have both quality courses and convenience. With so much quantity that it comes down to what you like.

Just on either side of the SC/GA border are two good courses that are only minutes from the exit ramp: Tom Triplett and The Sarge. It doesn't get any more convenient than that.

If you're willing to add an hour to your drive time, and your timing is right, you can visit Stoney Hill (by reservations, weekends only this time of year, subject to one of us being home). If you're willing to add a bit more, you can hit the Augusta area and check out Langley Pond (top 10) or the IDGC (3 very good courses).

Thanks for the info! I don't plan on playing until I get into the Carolina's and stop in Georgia. Rolling Pines in Wilkesboro was first on my list but I guess its closed due to too many fallen trees. I guess it all depends on the weather. I plan on leaving this weekend or early next week.

I like playing mid par 60s golf with fun elevation changes but cart friendly. Easily navigation is a plus because nothing sucks more than playing a new course and have no idea where the first or next hole is. At the same time I'll be rusty so I dont want to kill myself before I even get down to Florida so fun birdie fest courses are a plus as long as they are not out of the way.

The Charlotte people will have to chime in on which courses meet those guidelines. I've only played about half the courses there, and none enough to attest to the navigation, or cart suitability. Other than Renny is, or at least used to be, tough to navigate due to overlapping layouts.

Both courses at the SC/GA border are level and moderate length. Should be not too tiring, and cart friendly. Triplett has 3 sets of tees, giving you options as to the length, and many holes are significantly different lines from different tees.

Harmon, Richmond Hill in Asheville and IDGC would be my first choices along that path. I've been to all 3 and would love to play them all again.

I guess another question would be: What is your route? I'm assuming you're coming through the Carolinas on I-77 / I -26 / I -95.

Yeah that seems to be the route so the Asheville courses are a tad out of the way.

That's what I was thinking. Harmon Hills is WAY out of the way. Not sure how much of a detour Ashe County is---it's worth it, except that this time of year it's like to be cold. (Yeah, I know, not "Buffalo" cold, but not as warm as such a long drive entitles you to.)

Anyway, that's the route I was assuming with my suggestions.