• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Caiman

Caiman is slightly faster than a 1.4 mortar and more overstable. it feels more shallow and better for a forehand grip.

fXCUz27.jpg

Last edited:
Also as far as it being better for a forehand grip than a mortar - the only thing I can imagine as better for a forehand grip would be if they took a casting of my hand and extrapolated that to a disc rim.

Courtesy of Marshall Street, Caiman on left, Mortar 1.5 on right:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1b-vRKtQn-WcE9MVUVyYUozYU1MZXJUNWZ1NS1rbDdibnlN/view?usp=sharing

Seems like a serviceable fill in. Reports that it's faster make sense as it seems the bottom rim of the Caiman is tucked further down out of sight than the mortar, meaning maybe it's either a slightly wider wing or it's a little more shallow?

Could just be the shadow is darker under the Caiman. That picture doesn't really help all that much.

Yeah I know, I just wasn't going to come out and say it like an ingrate. :|

You calling me an ingrate?

Second photo is better.. as far as I can tell it looks like a blunt top Mortar. Or a flat blunt top micro bead Gator. :p

It was nice of marshallstreet to take the photos.

You calling me an ingrate?

Second photo is better.. as far as I can tell it looks like a blunt top Mortar. Or a flat blunt top micro bead Gator. :p

It was nice of marshallstreet to take the photos.

Actually no, I realize now that it looks like I was ribbing you. Fact of the matter is, I knew it was a largely useless profile pic from the beginning but didn't initially want to complain lol
:hfive:

Just checked out a few Caimans at a local PIAS.. it's exactly what I thought it would be. A flat blunt top microbead Mortar (1.1-1.2) I did not get to compare it directly to a Mortar as I did not have one. I do not believe the bottom wing to be longer. I compared them to Gators however and did not see a difference in over all size of disc and wing. Bummer.

I have two mortars one in Star, one in Champion (1.5), and just picked up a FR Star Caiman. They are very similar, the caiman is really flat and has a very small bead. When comparing the profiles, I feel like the Caiman is just a bit lower overall, with the mortar shoulder sitting a bit higher. I haven't thrown them to compare yet, but I anticipate very similar flight, with the caiman perhaps being just a touch faster.

Ordered a few xouts- excited to put my first run frontline mortars in storage if these are nice! Marshall street has great prices on their xouts

I need an assessment please. I am a Gator guy and thought I was going to be a Gator3 guy but the bead on that thing is not feeling great lately. Saw a promo vid for this Caiman and the smooth edge with micro bead looked nice. I like beaded mids and PNA molds. I was dogging the Caiman pretty hard when I heard about it also. But maybe I'll give it a shot or try the Taurus.

I need an assessment please. I am a Gator guy and thought I was going to be a Gator3 guy but the bead on that thing is not feeling great lately. Saw a promo vid for this Caiman and the smooth edge with micro bead looked nice. I like beaded mids and PNA molds. I was dogging the Caiman pretty hard when I heard about it also. But maybe I'll give it a shot or try the Taurus.

Try the Taurus. If you don't like it let me know.

Just as I suspected, it's a rat-topped mortar (dunno if any disc had that top before the rat, that's the first disc I saw with the squared off super-flat top)