• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cam Todd-forgotten great?

I think he leaned pretty heavy on a Destroyer this weekend too if the commentary was accurate.

Couple times I caught Terry saying a 'Cam Todd Destroyer.'

MJ probably should have had a Comet a long time ago. But he dosnt have any big wins. I am a fan of MJ for sure.

MJ probably should have had a Comet a long time ago. But he dosnt have any big wins. I am a fan of MJ for sure.

Pretty sure there were a couple runs of MJ comets- and he won the Hall of Fame Classic at IDGC last year, that's a pretty big NT win.

Cam's not even sponsored by Discraft anymore, is he? Why would he get a Sig Comet?

If he keeps playing like he did he will be I bet. I just hope he can keep that kind of play going all year. Gives us middle age dudes so hope and someone to root for.

Much like MJ, he'd have to win Worlds to get a sig disc. Considering he'd be winning it without a full Discraft bag this year he wouldn't even get one, just like when he switched after winning his first.

Is Cam sponsored at all? I don't believe he is technically on the Discraft or Innova teams (although Discraft does list him as a Discraft Champ).

Quite a jump in play. He got 31st last year. We will see if he gets another big win this year.

I'm interested to see that final round gbo coverage now. Congrats

Pretty sure there were a couple runs of MJ comets- and he won the Hall of Fame Classic at IDGC last year, that's a pretty big NT win.
Those were more of a "Hey MJ we'll run some stamps cheap for you and then you can do the legwork of actually selling them and keep the difference" type of runs. Not the same as a 'signature' disc.

Discraft seems to be pretty bad in general with the whole signature disc thingy. Doesn't seem to be their bag.

If I remember correctly, in his first iteration, CAm was a Discraft guy, I recall Expresses and other Discraft names. Since he went a way and came back, clearly there are some discs. I didn't see any logoed material. BTW - His wife, a Pro at the time he left, linked up with him through disc golf. I remember seeing her in video from Kansas City and hearing they were together. She disappeared about the same time he did, if I recall. I sincerely hope someone picks him up if he is unsponsored. Given his stature on the course he seems like he'd be a good name to have in your stable.

Quite a jump in play. He got 31st last year. We will see if he gets another big win this year.

I'm interested to see that final round gbo coverage now. Congrats

He played Texas States this year and while he didn't win, he played solid. If he just stepped up again a couple of years ago, it has probably taken him this long to iron out the kinks and get his mind solidly planted on all aspects of the game.

Very interesting performance & story by Cam Todd. He was richly rewarded for avoiding OB. It's amazing how many places one can jump in the leaderboard by eliminating penalty strokes. Also, a 40+yo winning a 2016 NT in the Open division makes anything seem possible in the Open division, going forward.

But, for me, the biggest thing that sticks out about Cam Todd's GOB win is that he managed to take down an NT against the strongest competition in the history of the sport by not using a forehand. Does anyone know why he doesn't use a FH? Does it go back to an injury? Did he just never develope that skill?

I don't think there were any situations that really needed a forehand on those courses. There were some holes and shots that would have favored it, but were perfectly doable with a backhand anny. He was probably just much more comfortable with his backhand.

The suspension wasn't nearly that long and was appealed down to what amounted to a fine (donating his USDGC winnings).

Cam's sabbatical from disc golf was 100% self imposed, and it was clearly a good decision for him at the time. From what I've seen since he has returned, his perspective on disc golf and life is far healthier.

Seeing him win this weekend was a great thing. Hope he can do it again.

The suspension that was handed down WAS for a year, but was negotiated down to 1 year probation in exchange for donating his USDGC winnings to the Leukemia Society; otherwise, he would have been ineligible to compete.

While it may be technically true that Cam's sabbatical was 100% self-imposed, the decision to step away wasn't made in a vacuum. On one hand, he was facing a one-strike-you're-out policy as the result of the probation, on the other hand, Discraft was getting SERIOUS heat, both privately and publicly, coming from fellow Discraft team members, no less to "SEND THE ANGRY CLOWN HOME!"

I agree that the decision to step away was a good one, and that his perspective since his return is far healthier than before the sabbatical. Cam's always been a good guy--away from the course; on course, even when he was winning, he could be, and most often was, one miserable SOB to be around. It wasn't a question of if[/b] he was going to blow up at a tournament, it was simply a matter of when. Maybe some, or a lot, of that was due to the grind of touring and the constant pressure to having to win to ensure you ate the coming week and had gas money to get to the next stop. In any event, he's a much more relaxed and pleasant person to play with these days. Kudos to him for turning his demeanor, and his reputation, around.

If I remember correctly, in his first iteration, CAm was a Discraft guy, I recall Expresses and other Discraft names.

You don't remember correctly.

Cam was with Innova when he won the world championship, and when he was touring with Leslie and Worm (Mike Young). He jumped to Discraft following the 2003 USDGC, after Innova declined to retain his services for 2004, owing to the mounting number of on-course incidents.