• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Camping by Ludington, MI Courses?

mykeg44

Bogey Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm driving up from Chicago in a couple weeks to play Leviathon and the three Mason County courses, and I'm trying to find a good spot to camp close to the courses.

Can somebody steer me in the right direction?

Camping at Flip City is a must. You will not regret it. Just contact Bill (owner first). In my conversation with him he seemed fine with anyone camping there provided there was not a big tournament or if his camping area was already taken by others.

I highly suggest leaving a donation in the amount of a normal campsite for his efforts in single handedly doing an amazing job in building and maintaining the place.

like dave said just camp at flip i did in early may with some buddies and there was 2 other groups there. then we just hit up the mason country course on sat and spend the day there then back to flip for a glow round

If you're looking for a camping option with some amenities, try Buttersville:

http://www.michigan.org/Property/Detail.aspx?p=B9437

Very nice, good beach option when you're not golfing. Very close to the Mason Co. courses, not too far from Flip. Also nearby is a state camping area, don't recall the name, only passed through briefly myself.

Joe

Camping at Flip is a amazing. Beware that there are two tourneys coming up:
Aug 14 Farm Classic and over the whole Labor Day weekend the State Finals. This will also be held at all the Ludington courses.

There is a campground RIGHT across the street from the entrance to the Mason County Courses. Kind of "eh".

I suggest, if camping is a priority just as much as disc golfing, do the Ludington State Park. You can even camp in the dunes. It's four miles north of Leviathan. Eight north of the three Mason County courses, and about thirty odd miles north of Flip.

Silver Lake, directly west of Flip, and on Lake Michigan is another incredible camping area. Although tends to be a bit touristy.

Hope that helps. :)

Camping at Flip is a amazing. Beware that there are two tourneys coming up:
Aug 14 Farm Classic and over the whole Labor Day weekend the State Finals. This will also be held at all the Ludington courses.

There is a campground RIGHT across the street from the entrance to the Mason County Courses. Kind of "eh".

I suggest, if camping is a priority just as much as disc golfing, do the Ludington State Park. You can even camp in the dunes. It's four miles north of Leviathan. Eight north of the three Mason County courses, and about thirty odd miles north of Flip.

Silver Lake, directly west of Flip, and on Lake Michigan is another incredible camping area. Although tends to be a bit touristy.

Hope that helps. :)

Awesome info, thanks.

I just camped and played the same courses! I would have to recommend flip if you are willing to drive to Mason Co. and Leviathan (about 30-45 mins from flip). Otherwise, go with Buttersville, and at absolute last resort is Mason Co. Campgrounds right across from the disc golf course. I stayed at the Mason Co campgrounds and will never go back. Was forced to move camping spot after one night due to their lack of organizing available spots. Turned out the guy who had my spot reserved didn't even show. Moved for nothing. Lame campground. Rude employees offered no help.

I just camped and played the same courses! I would have to recommend flip if you are willing to drive to Mason Co. and Leviathan (about 30-45 mins from flip). Otherwise, go with Buttersville, and at absolute last resort is Mason Co. Campgrounds right across from the disc golf course. I stayed at the Mason Co campgrounds and will never go back. Was forced to move camping spot after one night due to their lack of organizing available spots. Turned out the guy who had my spot reserved didn't even show. Moved for nothing. Lame campground. Rude employees offered no help.

Second your opinion. Buttersville is pretty cool and secluded. Just down the road from the Mason County Courses.

Oh and by the way, Mason Co. does leagues on Tuesdays around 5pm. You should join up with them and play. I had a great time when I did (got to know the course from the locals much better) and my girl won a disc!

Oh and by the way, Mason Co. does leagues on Tuesdays around 5pm. You should join up with them and play. I had a great time when I did (got to know the course from the locals much better) and my girl won a disc!

I think I met you two! was sitting on the chair at the end of the night. :)

Flip is where I would camp.

Top 10 reasons why:

1-Camping costs whatever you want to donate
2-Wake up in the morning, your at Flip!
3-Near the Ludington courses aswell as Branstrom (another Bill @ Flip designed course)
4-Your on private property so no hassles by johnny law or his prick uncle sam.
5-Alchohol is encouraged, just respect Bills property.
6-Flip has a designated camping area, large fire pit, clean running water (from a well)
7-Glowie rounds are encouraged (no hassles by cops for playing after dark)
8-Seclusion, Flip is out in the middle of nowhere (watch out for sasquatches)
9-Your camping literally like 50 feet from the first teepad of one of the best courses on earth (duh)
10- You might get lucky enough to meet Terry C while your there!!

Can someone more local have a discussion with Bill and verify he is okay with a larger group of people camping onsite Sept 17 & 18 for the meet? I plan to camp there even though I'll be hitting up Leviathan, Whitehall, and Mason Co courses during the weekend.

Latest posts