• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catch Discs

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I coach Cross Country and Track and they love running drills with discs. I throw and they run and catch or we play ultimate. Currently I am using Superheros and 1 Makana.

What else is out there that has a little stability and glide but isnt a true catching frisbee?

How do they compare?

Bite - Never thrown
Superhero - I've enjoyed
Makana - seems to catch well but feels a little hard
Supersonic - how do they fly and catch
etc.

Doggy Style from Gateway will flip up and hold its line.
Since the Makani is a lightweight version of the Zephyr, it's a great option run and catch
Bite has a similar stability to the Doggy Style
The Supersonic is a lightweight version of the Sonic mold so it's just a golf diameter Superhero

Why not just get an X-Out pack of Ultrastars and be done with it?

I don't like Frisbees and 6th and 7th graders arent going to be throwing those things as well as the ones closer to disc golf discs.

If you want golf diameter discs, the below are the ones I know that would work well. Finding them in a softer plastic won't be easy, but I have a few Polecats that would make nice catch discs so they're out there.
  • Sonic - Break easier than just about any mold (in DX), but you mentioned the Supersonic which will come in a better plastic but will be super light and very touchy with bad form. They're tons of fun to throw though.
  • Polecat - There are softer runs out there that would be great for catch.
  • Rattler - Pro D is waxy but fairly firm
  • Beetle - Haven't thrown these a ton

They might be hard to find since they're OOP but Soft Summits would be great. They're beveled edge but very lidlike. They're also really soft without being saggy in hand.
Snap Whittl'rs (sp?) would be another great choice, again, if you can find them. Very Sonic-like with a slightly bigger diameter. Great plastic/rubber for catch as well.

Birdies are stable but don't glide much at all
Aside from the Supersonic, all the molds you listed in your first post are larger diameter. I honestly would think larger diameter discs would be the nicer choice. Golf discs are a lot easier to throw harder. No biggie though.

The majority of the options here are non-beveled molds. Not a ton of options for floaty discs for your purpose unless you increase diameter.

I keep a super-beat up Omega Super Soft in my car to play catch for a warm-up before a round. It still holds a line well and it could probably hit you in the face without leaving a mark.
Maybe check the used bins for something similar, plus it'd only be 6-8$.

I like the SkyStyler for playing catch, but it's not a beveled edge golf disc, it's a lid. It's smaller diameter than the UltraStar tho

I 3rd that. Blowfly and Gumbputts. Either Blunt or the Driver versions. Soft enough to play catch with my 3 year old, but I can throw them like a driver. Not on a high line like a putter.
You can actually put a lot of power into these with a slight hyzer, and they don't turn over on me.

Im looking for what other companies make similar to the size and feel of superheros and how they compare. I dont want disc golf discs or lids. I want the between "catch" discs that manufacturers make. It seems like the super light stuff ~130g is hard to crank on but I havent thrown everything.

A GUTS lid is the best / most fun lid I have.

It's torque resent (I mean it's meant to be thrown hard) and it also is meant to be caught.

I have found all of the rff gateway putters catch nice.

Yes I like throwing a RFF Wizard around. It's a little overstable though.

I'm inclined to disagree that middle schoolers wouldn't like an Ultrastar. That's almost exactly the age where I discovered that the Ultrastar was a billion times better than any other frisbee I had thrown, and that's what made me fall in love with disc flight.

Ultrastars do feel weird to me now that I've thrown golf discs, but they never did through middle school and high school. The awesome glide and neutral flight makes up for any grip issues that they may or may not even notice.

Im looking for what other companies make similar to the size and feel of superheros and how they compare. I dont want disc golf discs or lids. I want the between "catch" discs that manufacturers make. It seems like the super light stuff ~130g is hard to crank on but I havent thrown everything.

Zephyr/Makani This is difficult to answer since the zephyr is my favorite disc golf disc. The zephyr is identical to a makani except it goes from 130ish up to 200 grams. If you have your form right you can crank on a 150-160 gram zephyr fine (with a good dose of hyzer). Zephyrs are also quite cheap in dx and importantly, indestructible (even in dx) and widely available. I mean most people consider the zephyr/makani a catch disc and look at me cross-eye'd for throwing zephyrs so I dunno? I can't think of a better disc to rip on and then have slow down to a catchable end flight though. There are very few glidey catch discs that are as stable and consistent as a heavier zephyr is and almost none of them are widely available.

Polecat Kinda similar to the zephyr in a lot of ways except its a small diameter disc. Again with good form you can rip these things and then will end in a slow, catchable flight. There are some champion polecats out there and apparently those are a bit beefier and some people like em for midrange drives.

Lattitude beetle are very interesting discs, I have thrown them some but no enough to really have a solid opinion on em. You can rip a beetle IF you put a super extreme hyzer on it, but you start to get into the super weird territory of under stable discs where the descent of the disc after the apex will cause the disc to turn over and you have to account for that in the throw. Not really a good disc for trying to get a catchable drive though.

Gateway Doggystyle I wanted to love the gateway doggystyle, but it immediately cracks when thrown into trees at least in the base plastic (might not be an issue if you are in fields). It is definitely beefy though.

Rattler Like a mini ultrastar, I haven't tried this one but I want to. A little less glide than these other discs though.

RPM Temoko I think this one is a bit like the zephyr, might be a little more stable from what I have read but I haven't tried one myself

Well 1978 said he wasn't interested in golf discs, but I find light JK Aviars - around 162-164 grams - are great for playing catch.

I used an unknown weight Wham-O Pro Jr/50-55 mold in first year of play along with a Rubber Putter as my discs. I had the catch disc since 2001 for playing catch as my dads World Class Pro/Super Pro model was a bit big for me as a kid until age 13-14 in 2002-2003 and the other discs we had were Those Promo catch Fastback style discs that do not fly in even remotely the same path the second time after the first throw.

I still have the Wham-O catch disc. Yes the old long gone package said Pro Jr, part of the reason why I got said disc in the first place since it was like my dads World Class Pro but smaller for kids. I use it as a training tool for practice putting when I am very off in the back yard, they help me get the finesse back I was lacking when trying to force a putter either on the course or in the back yard.

I picked up an Utrastar for kicks, but then went out and bought the smaller Ultrastar Junior. Both fun.

Latest posts